Is S20 Ultra Korean Varaint (SM-G988N) possible to debrand?

Search This thread

iampatricktan

Sep 13, 2015
I'm living in europe and I'm using S20 Ultra exynos variant, I'm planning to get S20 Ultra Korean variant to get the snapdragon 865 chip. But my questions are is it possible to debrand it? I read few articles that it has so many bloatwares, also is it possible to unlock BL and root it? My last concern is about the 5G, wonder if 5g work on my country with the Korean variant.

Thanks.

tijsva

Aug 31, 2009
Breda
I'm owning a SM-G981N, carrier branded phone. Regarding bloatware, there are plenty of tutorials that can be found here to get rid of the majority of bloatware. The only way to be completely bloatware/carrier info free is to change CSC and flash the unlocked rom for your device. It seems possible to do with some third party software (samkey), but I haven't done so yet.

I have OCD when it comes to bloatware and or carrier info, I can't stand the fact that something is not original samsung. I have to say that after removing bloatware, except for the bootanimations, I really don't notice that I'm on a carrier branded phone anymore. If you dig deep enough, you will always find a handful of settings/options that shows you are on a carrier phone. Besides that, no problem at all.

I can't answer your questions regarding unlocking BL or rooting, but i assume in the near future this would be possible (if not already).

For 5G, you want to check your 5G provider's data protocol. If your phone supports it, then it should work no problem. Data for your phone can be found anywhere, example: http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devi...ultra_5g_td-lte_kr_256gb__samsung_hubble_2_5g

Good luck!

Reactions: Mem_0

nobrain3000

Sep 21, 2010
That's possible my friend. I have successfully debranded over samkey from KTC (KorenTelecom) to KOO (OpenKorea) without loosing any of my data on my phone. I'm also from Europe!
Thanks again to @mishufac

Gesendet von meinem SM-G988N mit Tapatalk

iampatricktan

Sep 13, 2015
That's possible my friend. I have successfully debranded over samkey from KTC (KorenTelecom) to KOO (OpenKorea) without loosing any of my data on my phone. I'm also from Europe!

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if we can flash it from KOO to BTU.

niza2000in

Jul 19, 2013
Hi Mate,
After debranded, are you able to use Volte, wifi calling, 5G in Europe on the SD865 version.

Thanks

nobrain3000

Sep 21, 2010
No 5g here at the moment. I think you need your home csc to use voip and wifi calling there but I'm not sure!

tijsva

Aug 31, 2009
Breda
Yesterday I succesfully changed my CSC using Samkey. I've already flashed the KOO firmware of the rom prior to changing the CSC, but according to Samkey support, the firmware for these korean phones is the same. This would mean only changing CSC should debrand your phone. I managed to change CSC without any loss of data, it simply reboots afterwards and it's fully debranded!

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Yesterday I succesfully changed my CSC using Samkey. I've already flashed the KOO firmware of the rom prior to changing the CSC, but according to Samkey support, the firmware for these korean phones is the same. This would mean only changing CSC should debrand your phone. I managed to change CSC without any loss of data, it simply reboots afterwards and it's fully debranded!

chimera tool changes csc on my g988u no problem

Rithina

Nov 9, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro

I tried to see if the G988N (KT Korean version) but it says not supported at their samkey website. How did you do it? It only support G988B so far

tijsva

Aug 31, 2009
Breda
can this be done using ODIN? I tried to flash the open korea KOO over my KTC branded S20Ultra but it still go back to KTC after. Any way to fix this?
I've already answered both of your questions in this topic, please read.

Can this be done using ODIN?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82435697&postcount=2

I tried to flash the open korea KOO over my KTC branded S20Ultra but it still go back to KTC after. Any way to fix this?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82565687&postcount=10

gh130

Nov 3, 2008

yes I have g988n and changed to KOO with samkey if ur 5g band in Europe in n78 5g will work but regarding VOLTE it may not work

iampatricktan

Sep 13, 2015
Yesterday I debranded my SM-G988N, different logo when booting and lots of Korean bloatwares. First I flashed it via Odin (KOO firmware) then after that I used SamKey to change CSC.. Credit needed is just 1. So now my phone is debranded already, back to Samsung logo when booting and no korean bloatwares.

Last edited:

nobrain3000

Sep 21, 2010
New firmware available with camera improvements, may security patch and system stability improvements!

Reactions: saoudien07

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm owning a SM-G981N, carrier branded phone. Regarding bloatware, there are plenty of tutorials that can be found here to get rid of the majority of bloatware. The only way to be completely bloatware/carrier info free is to change CSC and flash the unlocked rom for your device. It seems possible to do with some third party software (samkey), but I haven't done so yet.

I have OCD when it comes to bloatware and or carrier info, I can't stand the fact that something is not original samsung. I have to say that after removing bloatware, except for the bootanimations, I really don't notice that I'm on a carrier branded phone anymore. If you dig deep enough, you will always find a handful of settings/options that shows you are on a carrier phone. Besides that, no problem at all.

I can't answer your questions regarding unlocking BL or rooting, but i assume in the near future this would be possible (if not already).

For 5G, you want to check your 5G provider's data protocol. If your phone supports it, then it should work no problem. Data for your phone can be found anywhere, example: http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devi...ultra_5g_td-lte_kr_256gb__samsung_hubble_2_5g

Good luck!
    New firmware available with camera improvements, may security patch and system stability improvements!

I was able to debrand mine from SKC to KOO but it is with a consequence.
    I flashed XAA CSC with 3 files for KOO. It may trip your knox so there's no going back there but since I don't really use spass or shealth so I'm fine with it.
    Samkey and other methods failed me so that was my last option and gladly it worked.
    After flashing XAA and booted your phone to screen then you need to do another flash again and use KOO. Then all is done, no more bloatwares.