Question Is stock MIUI good or is it better to install a custom ROM?

Search This thread

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
@dreamytom
The only reason you should quit using meme ui however bad aosp is atm.
I was having a blocklist on and it was constatly trying to call back home, how much ever debloat you do it doesn't matter
adv.sec.intl.miui.com
sdkconfig.as.intl.xiaomi.com
api.sec.miui.com
tracking.miui.com
sdkconfig.ad..com
this on eu beta
all these keep getting blocked with the firewall they'll try 10 fold more but won't be able to reach home
This is the amount of tracking that is going on feels so **** scary seems like they f* log taps too

def use a firewall
this is the only reason you'd rather prefer using aosp

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: cyanGalaxy

cyanGalaxy

Dec 30, 2018
Germany
Sony Xperia M
Moto G4
ive turned video toolbox on but how do i toggle it? i mean how can i open it in app?
if it'd be ported it'd be dope,
you have any idea how to debloat all the tracking analytics i mean literally everything?
You will see a transparent line on the upper left side in the app that you've enabled it for. Swipe from that line to the right.

About Analytics, I just revoked all the rights for Xiaomi to track me. Settings > Privacy & Security > Authorization & Revocation (vague settings-name ^^).

I also disabled Google Ads Personalisation and the standard Android Usage Analytics. Both settings you can find in Settings > Privacy. Also disabled some tracking in my Google Account + I logged out of my Xiaomi Account.

Reactions: m0lly.

cyanGalaxy

Dec 30, 2018
Germany
Sony Xperia M
Moto G4
@dreamytom
The only reason you should quit using meme ui however bad aosp is atm.
I was having a blocklist on and it was constatly trying to call back home, how much ever debloat you do it doesn't matter
adv.sec.intl.miui.com
sdkconfig.as.intl.xiaomi.com
api.sec.miui.com
tracking.miui.com
sdkconfig.ad..com
this on eu beta
all these keep getting blocked with the firewall they'll try 10 fold more but won't be able to reach home
This is the amount of tracking that is going on feels so **** scary seems like they f* log taps too

def use a firewall
this is the only reason you'd rather prefer using aosp
I hate that. I knew they'd track us, doesn't surprise me.
It's also not wrong to think that they may be sending that data to the Chinese Gov't, seems likely to me.
For what it's worth I rooted my phone and use AdAway. I hope its blocking those servers...

But yes, it's fair to say they're literally spying on you...

What also bothers me is that MIUI may have other shady stuff in its ROM.

You know how there's been a scandal over some phone manufacturers having implemented logic to detect Benchmark apps and purposely boosting them for better scores? I assume Xiaomi does the same + more shady stuff. ^^

Reactions: m0lly.

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
great that youre using adway it does block them from calling home and yes they do send stuff to china but if youve got adaway youre safe to some extent,
btw the score manipulation thing maybe possible but from what ive understood its something like this
All cores do not run at its full capacity on meme they are capped a lil so youre not using max frequencies what really happens is that when it benchmarks or when it needs more perf it enables the top table frequencies max frequencies, i think thats how they get better scores prolly becausing of raising freqs but it hardly is small time boost and later goes into throttle after a few mins.
I hate that. I knew they'd track us, doesn't surprise me.
It's also not wrong to think that they may be sending that data to the Chinese Gov't, seems likely to me.
For what it's worth I rooted my phone and use AdAway. I hope its blocking those servers...

But yes, it's fair to say they're literally spying on you...

What also bothers me is that MIUI may have other shady stuff in its ROM.

You know how there's been a scandal over some phone manufacturers having implemented logic to detect Benchmark apps and purposely boosting them for better scores? I assume Xiaomi does the same + more shady stuff. ^^

Reactions: cyanGalaxy

bwanapete

Apr 14, 2011
A few weeks ago I installed Pixel Experience Official ROM. I was enjoying it and installed the first System update without a hitch. A month later I got the second System update. After installing the phone got into boot loop. I had no option other than installing the Redmi Note 8 pro ROM. I'm on Miui 12.5 with locked boot loader and have decided to stay put.

cyanGalaxy

Dec 30, 2018
Germany
Sony Xperia M
Moto G4
A few weeks ago I installed Pixel Experience Official ROM. I was enjoying it and installed the first System update without a hitch. A month later I got the second System update. After installing the phone got into boot loop. I had no option other than installing the Redmi Note 8 pro ROM. I'm on Miui 12.5 with locked boot loader and have decided to stay put.
How long did you wait for it to boot? Sometimes after an update it can take 10 minutes to boot, which is crazy, but it is like that.

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
My experience so far is:

* Yes, MIUI is very nice and the new UI (e.g. control center) is very nice as well
* MIUI has a lot of bloatware but you can remove them all
* Battery life is fine as well (getting 6h ~ 6h30 of SoT without gaming)
* The Xiaomi.EU ROM is as good as the stock one but with less bloatware and some nice additional features, still 100% compatible (so both camera and Dolby Atmos speakers quality are preserved)

ArrowOS is very nice and smooth but not really much faster to stock anyway. Camera quality is worse, speakers quality is way worse due to the lack of Dolby Atmos support. There are a few bugs here and there and globally you aren't getting the stability guarantees of the stock ROM as with all custom ROMs.

So, finally:

* If you want maximum stability to avoid all problems, or if you are fine with MIUI's UI, stick with the stock ROM
* If you want good stability and 100% compatibility, go for the Xiaomi.EU ROM
* If you want stock-like experience, ArrowOS or crDroid are both very good (although I've had problems with crDroid, but it's my personal experience)
People who install non MIUI based Roms try to leave behind the MIUI bugs and limitations Xiaomi implemented in order to restrict users. MIUI is not all glamour and joy, is NOT BAD! Is smooth and looks good. But is not everyone's cup of tea. Yes you lose in the camera department, but you gain alot more in usability. Sound can be better in my opinion if you install Viper4android or even Re-equalzer. You get sound profiles, higher volume, alot more effects and filters. You need to spend a little time to tune your smartphone to your preference.
If you enjoy getting your fingers dirty you can tune the phone to your liking.
I, a casual user of ArrowOs, do not experience issues. I pay using NFC, i use wireless headphones, colors are as vivid and punchy as in MIUI, all sensors work ok, i can control battery/charging settings using Acca, i can Uninstall unwanted system apps even though there are only few beside Google's, i can use gestures with any launcher i want.... My options are limitless in comparison with MIUI and the trade-offs are minor. People, don't think that the experience of having a custom ROM is inferior to MIUI

Last edited:
Reactions: D3voluti0n

rafal9ck

Sep 17, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi 4X
Xiaomi Poco F3
ive turned video toolbox on but how do i toggle it? i mean how can i open it in app?
if it'd be ported it'd be dope,
you have any idea how to debloat all the tracking analytics i mean literally everything?
Video toolbox swipe from line that shows in choosen aplicstions(video toolbox settings). Debloat there were few guides. I'am also using blockda 5 on top of that.

michelD

Jan 12, 2009
Google Nexus 4
HTC Desire 820
As already said, it's mainly a question of taste, but objectively, MIUI is not that bad: basically, everything is working fine, it is stable, fast with extremely low power consumption (1% during 8hours night)
If you don't like the camera, install gcam and you can use both in parallel in order to get the best of both worlds.
If you don't like the launcher, which is very understandable, you can easily replace it with others like Nova whose version 7.xx is working fine. And you can even use gestures with it, but needs your phone to be rooted to work correctly.
After testing different versions (EU, MMX, OneOS, VN) I slightly recommend EU which seems more polished.

And finally, don't hesitate to root your phone in order to suppress ads with Adaway, fine tune the sound with Viper4Androidfx and ACC to preserve your battery by limiting the max charge to 80%.

FYI, I tried few AOSP ROMs, but not really convinced especially with (idle) power consumption that was never as good as with MIUI based ROMs.

I hope it helps

huotg01

Oct 25, 2011
In my opimion, there are some really ennoying problems with MIUI.

One of them is that MIUI is not working well with Android Car. When Android Car starts a dialogue by asking more questions, only the first answer is processed. It is well reported on the Android car forum, and all those talking about it are ...Xiaomi owners!

Another problem seems tp prevent you from using a fundamental Android function: unlocking when you are at a specific location, or connected to a spécific wifi network, or...etc.

Therefore, the added MIUI layer is very irritating, and my next phone won't be a Xiaomi. That said, it is a good phone, but I just don't understand why they "break" Android basic functions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is just my opinion but I'd rather stick pins in my arms than use Miui. There are so many ROMS for this device and they are all pretty stable and with Gcam they are amazing. In my personal opinion GCam is better than the stock cam and takes better photos especially when you want to zoom in.

My personal favorite ROMS based on stability and features are ArrowOS, crDroid and Syberia. I'm just not a fan of Miui and their annoying prompts when you try to do anything like change permissions for an app and their plethora of bugs. It reminds me of EMUI but worse.
    My experience so far is:

* Yes, MIUI is very nice and the new UI (e.g. control center) is very nice as well
    * MIUI has a lot of bloatware but you can remove them all
    * Battery life is fine as well (getting 6h ~ 6h30 of SoT without gaming)
    * The Xiaomi.EU ROM is as good as the stock one but with less bloatware and some nice additional features, still 100% compatible (so both camera and Dolby Atmos speakers quality are preserved)

ArrowOS is very nice and smooth but not really much faster to stock anyway. Camera quality is worse, speakers quality is way worse due to the lack of Dolby Atmos support. There are a few bugs here and there and globally you aren't getting the stability guarantees of the stock ROM as with all custom ROMs.

So, finally:

* If you want maximum stability to avoid all problems, or if you are fine with MIUI's UI, stick with the stock ROM
    * If you want good stability and 100% compatibility, go for the Xiaomi.EU ROM
    * If you want stock-like experience, ArrowOS or crDroid are both very good (although I've had problems with crDroid, but it's my personal experience)
    As already said, it's mainly a question of taste, but objectively, MIUI is not that bad: basically, everything is working fine, it is stable, fast with extremely low power consumption (1% during 8hours night)
    If you don't like the camera, install gcam and you can use both in parallel in order to get the best of both worlds.
    If you don't like the launcher, which is very understandable, you can easily replace it with others like Nova whose version 7.xx is working fine. And you can even use gestures with it, but needs your phone to be rooted to work correctly.
    After testing different versions (EU, MMX, OneOS, VN) I slightly recommend EU which seems more polished.

And finally, don't hesitate to root your phone in order to suppress ads with Adaway, fine tune the sound with Viper4Androidfx and ACC to preserve your battery by limiting the max charge to 80%.

FYI, I tried few AOSP ROMs, but not really convinced especially with (idle) power consumption that was never as good as with MIUI based ROMs.

I hope it helps
    Depends on your taste! If you like MIUI over Vanilla Android, you can flash Xiaomi.eu Custom ROM for the best MIUI experience.

I dislike MIUI, but I use Xiaomi.eu Custom ROM, because the Vanilla Android ROMs I've tried don't have Dolby Atmos (or a good version implemented) and lackluster Camera-App.
    In my opinion, if you like MIUI, you should go with a custom MIUI based ROM like xiaomi.eu or else. But you can still try others ROMs that you may like.

The other custom ROMs don't have stock camera (for the moment), but Gcam is available in many versions, many users thinks it is better than stock camera app, if you are coming from a pixel you might be more familiar with that (and other pixel like ROMs).
    Always here if you need more information !