Is T-Mo Note 4 best option for AT&T if you want root?

Search This thread

phositadc

May 7, 2010
So the AT&T Note 4 is locked down pretty good. Is the T-Mobile version the best version to get to use on AT&T for somebody who wants root? It looks like it has all of the HSPA and LTE bands, so it should work perfectly. Are any of the international versions better options than the T-Mobile version?

Or is T-Mobile the best one for AT&T? Thanks.

Android_Monsters

Feb 2, 2012
Los Angeles
From another thread in q&a:

I bought the phone. It was a bit of a process but easy. You have to have a service plan for them to sell you one. So I signed up for the phone and the cheapest plan they would get me. Then went home and called Tmobile customer care and paid the balance of the phone off. Then went to cellunlocker and got an unlock code. Then for the next day or so I used it on AT&T to make sure it had no problems. Then I called up Tmobile and canceled my plan with them.

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: phositadc

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
I have both AT&T and t mobile note 4. If you want root, you already know what you have to do. The only issue I have ran into is my t mobile version shows up as a blackberry on AT&T network. Took multiple calls to get LTE working correctly. They had to switch my number to a tri band (there verbage not mine) to properly get LTE, even though it still shows up as a RIM device. The fastest LTE I've had in my area is 32mbs with a iPhone next to me getting 64mbs, but also that's not comparing apples to apples (pun intended). But the iPhone also had a stronger radio inside compared to samsung.

Reactions: phositadc

lokofly

Sep 20, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I have both AT&T and t mobile note 4. If you want root, you already know what you have to do. The only issue I have ran into is my t mobile version shows up as a blackberry on AT&T network. Took multiple calls to get LTE working correctly. They had to switch my number to a tri band (there verbage not mine) to properly get LTE, even though it still shows up as a RIM device. The fastest LTE I've had in my area is 32mbs with a iPhone next to me getting 64mbs, but also that's not comparing apples to apples (pun intended). But the iPhone also had a stronger radio inside compared to samsung.

Hey Sandman7793, if you dont mind, could you please explain how exactly you got AT&T to make the changes in order for you to get LTE working on your Tmobile Note 4? I mean did you have to speak to multiple reps on the same phone call? Reason I ask is becuase I had a Tmobile Note 3 and was only getting HSPA using AT&T and when I called they gave me a hard time saying that I couldnt get LTE becuase I was using an unlocked device. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
Hey Sandman7793, if you dont mind, could you please explain how exactly you got AT&T to make the changes in order for you to get LTE working on your Tmobile Note 4? I mean did you have to speak to multiple reps on the same phone call? Reason I ask is becuase I had a Tmobile Note 3 and was only getting HSPA using AT&T and when I called they gave me a hard time saying that I couldnt get LTE becuase I was using an unlocked device. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Well the trick was I bought the AT&T version of the note 4 before I bought the t-mobile one. So when I called I had my sim card in the AT&T one when I called. Lol. I have my spare note 4 in the drawer just lying around. When I called they was like, do you have a blackberry, I said no, do people actually use those anymore. Since I have my note on the next program they was like OK no problem. Then they said, is your phone for AT&T network, I said it better be because I bought it from you. Then I rebooted the phone so they could hear the AT&T boot up sound. They had me put in a new APN setting, still no LTE (on the AT&T phone at that) so they escalated the case over to someone else and changed a bunch of settings on there end. Then said maybe they had LTE issues in my area, I said nope I have a iPhone sitting next to me with full LTE. By the time I hung up, the AT&T note 4 had zero LTE and the t-mobile had full LTE, which still till this day I have no clue how that worked out. It still shows a blackberry on my account, but here was my speed earlier so it don't matter to me what the show.

e41e7f015a41b6c04d8b8fc56c6eecd9.jpg

pestilencec11

Nov 21, 2008
Parker
Well the trick was I bought the AT&T version of the note 4 before I bought the t-mobile one. So when I called I had my sim card in the AT&T one when I called. Lol. I have my spare note 4 in the drawer just lying around. When I called they was like, do you have a blackberry, I said no, do people actually use those anymore. Since I have my note on the next program they was like OK no problem. Then they said, is your phone for AT&T network, I said it better be because I bought it from you. Then I rebooted the phone so they could hear the AT&T boot up sound. They had me put in a new APN setting, still no LTE (on the AT&T phone at that) so they escalated the case over to someone else and changed a bunch of settings on there end. Then said maybe they had LTE issues in my area, I said nope I have a iPhone sitting next to me with full LTE. By the time I hung up, the AT&T note 4 had zero LTE and the t-mobile had full LTE, which still till this day I have no clue how that worked out. It still shows a blackberry on my account, but here was my speed earlier so it don't matter to me what the show.

Did you have a chance to test speeds in your area with both phones connected to both carriers? I am going through a dilemma right now as to which carrier I should choose to go with.

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
Actually no. TMO stays on the edge network where I live. It's not even worth the hassle to use there network, at lest for me. But for the sake of argument I will grab it out of drawer tonight and do the rest after I get off work.

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
i"m using the T-Mobile Note 4 on AT&T and getting great performance. NO issues with anything, yet lol. Love running custom roms.

TheFletch

Dec 20, 2006
Souther California
thefletch.net
T-Mobile Note 4 still shows as Blackberry

yes it is, Mine is on Tmobile( white) unlocked and it is rooted and i'm using it on ATT(sim card from work) i get full speed LTE and one of samsung best yet. other variants are not that great

I went to change my data plan today, finally giving up Unlimited because it was $50 cheaper to go Mobile Share route. In the process I noticed my new TM Note 4 showed up as a Blackberry 7100 and during the online plan change it wouldn't let me do it saying something about an incompatible phone. I reloaded the Sim back in my Note 2, called CS, had then change the plan and of course it now shows a "Smartphone" for my Note 2.

So, I suppose as soon as I change me SIM back to the Note 4 it'll send them the IMEI and change the phone designation back to Blackberry, thusly kicking me off LTE.

Can other enlighten me as what steps to take when/if that happens? Since it's a Note 2, not Note 4, I can't take the approach quite the same as the OP.

What to do? Anyone?

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
I went to change my data plan today, finally giving up Unlimited because it was $50 cheaper to go Mobile Share route. In the process I noticed my new TM Note 4 showed up as a Blackberry 7100 and during the online plan change it wouldn't let me do it saying something about an incompatible phone. I reloaded the Sim back in my Note 2, called CS, had then change the plan and of course it now shows a "Smartphone" for my Note 2.

So, I suppose as soon as I change me SIM back to the Note 4 it'll send them the IMEI and change the phone designation back to Blackberry, thusly kicking me off LTE.

Can other enlighten me as what steps to take when/if that happens? Since it's a Note 2, not Note 4, I can't take the approach quite the same as the OP.

What to do? Anyone?
Mine shows as a blackberry also, but after they activated tri-band on my account for my line, all is good with full service.

da51b1a40755a75d22633fb55f1e762d.jpg

alexnoalex

Mar 18, 2006
AT&T used to have two places to store imei. One is dynamic and shows device that is currently on their network and the other is somewhere permanently in the database and is imei used to register account. Second (permanent) one determines whether you get LTE. It was like that year ago when I parted with post paid plans. May be they changed it since. So you must make them replace the permanent db imei to get LTE. Best way to do it is to call them with valid AT&T LTE capable device imei and tell them that it's what you use now.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

theorioles33

Feb 15, 2011
My AT&T account shows a flip phone for my TMO Note 4! LOL! Everything is fine and working though so I dont care. :)

Attachments

• image_def_100x110.gif
    image_def_100x110.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 173

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I run my T-Mobile Note 4 on "Cricket Wireless" which uses AT&T towers w/ a reduced cost (based on your needs of course).. Data, ect...

Very pleased & things work 100%!

I even figured out how to 'edit' build.prop per the "Root & Recovery" thread to give me official "cricket" initial confirmation readout in status upon waking phone along with AT&T tower indicators as opposed to T-Mobile's! :D

chong67

Sep 2, 2007
Atlanta
I bet Hotspot will not work on ATT when you use T-mobile phone.

I bet Wifi calling will not work on ATT network too.

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

Hotspot works great. Actually It works even better, becuase ATT can't track the usage on a Tmobile phone so even without root or doing anything special the wifi hotspot works right out of the box.

Sent from my SM-T900 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tmo note 4 works great on AT&T. I buy all my phones from Tmo to use on AT&T.

Hotspot works great. Actually It works even better, becuase ATT can't track the usage on a Tmobile phone so even without root or doing anything special the wifi hotspot works right out of the box.

Sent from my SM-T900 using XDA Free mobile app
    Tmo note 4 works great on AT&T. I buy all my phones from Tmo to use on AT&T.

How do you buy them? Can you just walk into a T-Mobile store and buy one even with no T-Mobile account?

Sent from my D5803
    From another thread in q&a:

I bought the phone. It was a bit of a process but easy. You have to have a service plan for them to sell you one. So I signed up for the phone and the cheapest plan they would get me. Then went home and called Tmobile customer care and paid the balance of the phone off. Then went to cellunlocker and got an unlock code. Then for the next day or so I used it on AT&T to make sure it had no problems. Then I called up Tmobile and canceled my plan with them.

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app