Is the Ematic Genesis 7" tablet from Walmart rootable?

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
I am confused as I thought that all 'Android 4.0' devices were automatically supported by the Google Play Store through the 'CHROME' web browser that is part of 4.0?

For less than $60 shipped as of today.. I may buy one as a replacement self printed book of my movie disc collection .. as my cost for the ink, paper & time for my now growing 200+ page listing book (the replacement ink cartridges alone cost me $30 each time I print.)

Update >
I went ahead and ordered one just to see.. I read where I could side load "Google Play" in another forum... And if not that most of the apps that I use come from Amazon Market which is to also work.. will report what I find out.. yea I could wait.. but since is seems that WalMart might be offering two different models on "Black Friday" I said why wait in line and find out it is their other model that has worse ratings..

Last edited:

friendlybiker

Jun 12, 2011
I ordered 5 of them for the grandchildren, specs look good, 1.2 ghz processor, ICS, 7" screen, good deal for $60. I've downloaded older version .apk files for play store on Chinese tablets and installed fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
I just received this device from "Wal-Mart" and over all with only an hour of use I must say I am a bit worried about the power supply as it is very hot to the touch and I am afraid of leaving it plugged in for the six hour time it would take to fully charge, since the power adapter is only 5volts I wonder if there is a USB power cable that will fit this device?
Also missing from the package were the "Headphones & Protective Sleeve" that was listed on the OEM's web site.
It does have Flash 11.1 (if I remember correctly) installed!
The first time I tried to use the web browser it took me to the "Amazon" and downloaded there store. (there seems to be a bit of screen sizing issue for the stores command box?)
It played the first episode of "BLOOD AND CHROME" from 'YouTube' with out a single hick-up.

More as I learn more... the main reason I purchased is to install the end user created plug-in for DVDProfiler for Android to store my DISC movie collection on... as currently if I print out a book, due to the size of my collection it costs me in Ink-Jet ink alone over $70.00...

:David

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
I just received this device from "Wal-Mart" and over all with only an hour of use I must say I am a bit worried about the power supply as it is very hot to the touch and I am afraid of leaving it plugged in for the six hour time it would take to fully charge, since the power adapter is only 5volts I wonder if there is a USB power cable that will fit this device?
Also missing from the package were the "Headphones & Protective Sleeve" that was listed on the OEM's web site.
It does have Flash 11.1 (if I remember correctly) installed!
The first time I tried to use the web browser it took me to the "Amazon" and downloaded there store. (there seems to be a bit of screen sizing issue for the stores command box?)
It played the first episode of "BLOOD AND CHROME" from 'YouTube' with out a single hick-up.

More as I learn more... the main reason I purchased is to install the end user created plug-in for DVDProfiler for Android to store my DISC movie collection on... as currently if I print out a book, due to the size of my collection it costs me in Ink-Jet ink alone over $70.00...

:p
So far for a $59 device I am really impressed... all but one .apk that I have loaded runs with out issue... the one giving me an issue is.. I have yet to find a version of 'Google Play Store' that will load and run... Store starts loading then when I get to what seems to be the users agreement I get a "Stopped Running Error"!?

The '''Headphones & Protective Sleeve''' are being sold as a separate item by WalMart for $6.00.

Since it uses a separate charging port you can charge and use.. unlike my Dell Streak-7 which will not charge and use if plugged into a power source.

The battery under heavy use tonight lasted 4.5 hours... before the device would not allow me to use it.

The free movie service "CRACKLE" works.

I am using a rubber tipped 'tablet styles' on the tablet.

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
Google Play

I ordered 5 of them for the grandchildren, specs look good, 1.2 ghz processor, ICS, 7" screen, good deal for $60. I've downloaded older version .apk files for play store on Chinese tablets and installed fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Can you point the way to the version of "Google Play" that worked for you?

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Can anybody confirm that the power cable has the following connector:
: USB To Barrel Power Connector Size (Type: H, OD: 3.40mm, ID: 1.30mm) :

jrcroucher

Dec 19, 2009
Solved!!

Got working google play om my genesis today....finally!
Followed directions here-odroid.foros-phpbb.com/t1200-installing-google-apps-play-store-gmail-etc
Irecieved an error [RPC:S-5:AEC-0] when I tried at first, then went to settings-accounts and deleted my google account. Opened Play, followed prompts, added existing user...Viola
None of my sideloaded apps show up in My Apps, but searching for them and updating caused them to show up.

Last edited:

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
Followed directions here-odroid.foros-phpbb.com/t1200-installing-google-apps-play-store-gmail-etc
Irecieved an error [RPC:S-5:AEC-0] when I tried at first, then went to settings-accounts and deleted my google account. Opened Play, followed prompts, added existing user...Viola
None of my sideloaded apps show up in My Apps, but searching for them and updating caused them to show up.
The process you linked to is for not only loading the 'GAPPS' but also to "ROOT" the device.

I really don't want to do a full 'GAPPS' install and know that "PLAY STORE" can be loaded with out the "ROOT"ing on some devices running older version of Android 3.x.x.. as I use to have a "Pandigital Novel" w/2.01 and a person that know more about Android OS than I do went into the 'APK' and removed the unneeded files and edited one file and recombined the 'APK' so that it could be side loaded and install "STORE", the trick with it was you would install with todays date, then change the system date/time back at least 12 hours, reboot and connect to the store and log off then reboot and reset the clock to the correct time and go to the store all all worked just fine...

If I was going to ROOT this device I would move all the pre-installed APPs so that they could be uninstalled to free up system memory..

While I have not "OPENED" the case yet does anybody know if the base memory can be expanded??.. Many tablets use MICRO SD cards for their system memory and all you have to do is to open the case and up grade the SD card.. but a few others the memory is soldered on the mainboard of the tablet.

katacash

Sep 4, 2012
Rooting and getting google play on Ematic Genesis without messing with Roms

Woohoo! This worked on my genesis. I did not have to search for a Rom that allowed all buttons or wifi to work. The play store is installed. allows me to get all apps and I couldn't be happier.

Now off to start writing apps with all the knowledge I have taken in Modding chinese tablets! LOL

Nook Tablet (CM9)
Mach Speed Trio Stealth 7c (speed4.04_1.0.3)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (rooted(no mods yet)
Nook Color (CM7)
Ematic Genesis (rooted with play store stock rom)

KaoticEvil

Jan 25, 2012
www.bludragyn.net
Since it uses a separate charging port you can charge and use.. unlike my Dell Streak-7 which will not charge and use if plugged into a power source.
Actually, I gotta correct you on that. I just plugged this tablet in (I bought 2 for my kids for birthdays earlier this month) to my cell charger, and it charges just fine. For that matter, it also charges from a USB port on my netbook.... or even from the micro USB port on my Xoom when a USB/microUSB adapter is used. I found that last bit to be a bit odd, but hey, it works lol

Sent from my Xoom using xda app-developers app

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
Power

If you had not already found out ... did you know that you could recharge using only the USB port!

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

I have tried following the instructions from your posting and I am lost... and I have rooted other Android devices on an older 32bit Vista computer but ABD could not find my device on my current 64bit Windows 7 system.

KaoticEvil

Jan 25, 2012
www.bludragyn.net
FYI.. After spending most of Thanksgiving on this project... I finally got my device Root'ed ...and a 'Gapps Package' pushed onto my device.
I used the universal package for 4.0.x from http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps
:D
His did you get root? From what I could tell of the links above, they are only for installing gapps... which I managed to get pushed and installed to one of these that I bought...

Sent from my rooted Xoom running CM10 using the xda-developers app

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
Yeah, man... Don't just tell us you got it done, tell us how you did it...
I was planning on creating a whole HOW TO but got sick Friday PM and have not been near a computer till just now.. as soon as I get "BACK ON MY FEET" I will try writing something up.

Update: The following is for your information I can not be held liable if you "Brick" your tablet as this worked for me, but try at your own risk!!
Read this page: Universal Root
Use this utility: Root_with_Restore
Then download the GAPPS from the above link and extract and find the folder "SYSTEM"
Open a dos command prompt window.
Now connect your tablet via USB and be sure that you have it set for USB DEBUGGING in the system / development
DO NOT TURN IN USB STORAGE.
Go to the folder where you extracted the download "Root_with_Restore" go to the folder 'STUFF' and from the command box type " adb device " you should see your tablet connected.
Run the "BAT" file from "Root_with_Restore" [I do not remember for sure but I know that "Other" did not work so I choose the option above it.]
Then find where you extracted the GAPPS system folder and type: adb push <if needed type in the full drive+folder listing>system /system : now wait.. you should see allot of screen messages. till you get a message saying complete.
Unplug the USB cable and turn off your tablet.
Turn on your tablet... this may take longer than in the past.. but you should have a working "GOOGLE PLAY STORE" once your system comes up.

Please post back if this works for you or if I need to try to expand the instructions.
I am sure that some real DOS/Android programmer could make a single .ZIP and .BAT file to take care of everything more cleanly.

Last edited: