Is the Ematic Genesis 7" tablet from Walmart rootable?

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
Getting more on system storage.

It seems that the VIDEO and MUSIC player that comes with the device will search your external SD card for music and videos that you may load, so move these two folders to the external card... when I did that it freed up more than half my my systems storage space.
:good:

Last edited:

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
HELLO.. HELLo. HELlo HEllo Hello hello .....

Kind of a dead silence here..

But here is a few question(s) for you all...

What is the browser that is install from factory.. as it is not "Chrome" [It almost looks like Dolphin], when I tried to do a regular .apk install of "Chrome" from the Google store it dies which almost tells me that it need to be pushed into the device.

Does anybody know of a "Photo Frame" (a random photo displaying) program which will search and read a photo directory from the external SD card? Most I have tried seem to only read from the photo DCIM folder and I would like to move these off the devices built in memory.

:David

KaoticEvil

Jan 25, 2012
www.bludragyn.net
I was planning on creating a whole HOW TO but got sick Friday PM and have not been near a computer till just now.. as soon as I get "BACK ON MY FEET" I will try writing something up.

Update: The following is for your information I can not be held liable if you "Brick" your tablet as this worked for me, but try at your own risk!!
Read this page: Universal Root
Use this utility: Root_with_Restore
Then download the GAPPS from the above link and extract and find the folder "SYSTEM"
Open a dos command prompt window.
Now connect your tablet via USB and be sure that you have it set for USB DEBUGGING in the system / development
DO NOT TURN IN USB STORAGE.
Go to the folder where you extracted the download "Root_with_Restore" go to the folder 'STUFF' and from the command box type " adb device " you should see your tablet connected.
Run the "BAT" file from "Root_with_Restore" [I do not remember for sure but I know that "Other" did not work so I choose the option above it.]
Then find where you extracted the GAPPS system folder and type: adb push <if needed type in the full drive+folder listing>system /system : now wait.. you should see allot of screen messages. till you get a message saying complete.
Unplug the USB cable and turn off your tablet.
Turn on your tablet... this may take longer than in the past.. but you should have a working "GOOGLE PLAY STORE" once your system comes up.

Please post back if this works for you or if I need to try to expand the instructions.
I am sure that some real DOS/Android programmer could make a single .ZIP and .BAT file to take care of everything more cleanly.

Haven't had a nite off work to try this yet, but I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow night... I'll update this post with the results. Thanks!

Sent from my rooted Xoom running CM10 using the xda-developers app

EDIT: It worked like a champ. Just finished installing the ad blocker and URL blocker on these for my kids. Thanks a ton man:)

Last edited:

kildennyn

May 13, 2012
Drivers?

Haven't had a nite off work to try this yet, but I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow night... I'll update this post with the results. Thanks!

Sent from my rooted Xoom running CM10 using the xda-developers app

EDIT: It worked like a champ. Just finished installing the ad blocker and URL blocker on these for my kids. Thanks a ton man:)
When you guys did this, did you need device drivers for the tablet? If so, where'd you find them? I've completely failed....

DVD2955

Mar 21, 2011
When you guys did this, did you need device drivers for the tablet? If so, where'd you find them? I've completely failed....
What version of Windows are you running?
Vista or newer should not need drivers?
Do you see the tablet as a USB storage device when you plug it in your computer?
Do you have your tablet turned on?
You did have USB storage turned off and DeBugging turned on?

djdaredevil

May 19, 2010
What version of Windows are you running?
Vista or newer should not need drivers?
Do you see the tablet as a USB storage device when you plug it in your computer?
Do you have your tablet turned on?
You did have USB storage turned off and DeBugging turned on?

Im running 64bit win7 and it loaded a bunch of drivers but did not load the "android" driver for
the tablet and Im guessing thats the one the other poster is talking about.
Any help would be excellent

EDIT: I fixed it I had to update the adroid sdk than went to device manager and updated the
"android" driver pointing it to my c: drive after that everything went great.

Last edited:

flaviamassa

Nov 6, 2012
Kind of a dead silence here..

Does anybody know of a "Photo Frame" (a random photo displaying) program which will search and read a photo directory from the external SD card? Most I have tried seem to only read from the photo DCIM folder and I would like to move these off the devices built in memory.

Well, I use QuikPic and it is very fast and complete. :D

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Hey guys,

I just bought the new GT-7240 - a really good tab just like the Genesis GT-7220S in therms of hardware but with a better GPU (A10 cortex), and display resolution (something like 1024x600). The problem is I'm really afraid of bricking it, and don't know if the procedures used to other models would work for this one. Could anyone encourage me? hahahaha

Does this procedure listed above works in my little 7ínch droid?

Thankkssssss

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

It doesn't look like it has access to the Play Store so I was wondering if I could root it and put a custom ROM on it with access to the Play Store.

This is very very strange, since I've got a Genesis (new model: GT-7240), and it comes with full access of Google Play (and NO restrictions on some apps like usually happens with Chinese tabs). Actually, the Genesis brand is very good, they are from Korea and have some factories in PY. The community of Genesis users is growing fast in Brazil owing to the low prices and the proximity of Paraguai (what makes us able to go for it without paying high custom taxes), and we have a forum specialized in it. For those who would like to visit the forum and count with 'Google Tradutor' help, just google "Forum Genesis Series"

PrO...

Feb 25, 2008
I was planning on creating a whole HOW TO but got sick Friday PM and have not been near a computer till just now.. as soon as I get "BACK ON MY FEET" I will try writing something up.

Update: The following is for your information I can not be held liable if you "Brick" your tablet as this worked for me, but try at your own risk!!
Read this page: Universal Root
Use this utility: Root_with_Restore
Then download the GAPPS from the above link and extract and find the folder "SYSTEM"
Open a dos command prompt window.
Now connect your tablet via USB and be sure that you have it set for USB DEBUGGING in the system / development
DO NOT TURN IN USB STORAGE.
Go to the folder where you extracted the download "Root_with_Restore" go to the folder 'STUFF' and from the command box type " adb device " you should see your tablet connected.
Run the "BAT" file from "Root_with_Restore" [I do not remember for sure but I know that "Other" did not work so I choose the option above it.]
Then find where you extracted the GAPPS system folder and type: adb push <if needed type in the full drive+folder listing>system /system : now wait.. you should see allot of screen messages. till you get a message saying complete.
Unplug the USB cable and turn off your tablet.
Turn on your tablet... this may take longer than in the past.. but you should have a working "GOOGLE PLAY STORE" once your system comes up.

Please post back if this works for you or if I need to try to expand the instructions.
I am sure that some real DOS/Android programmer could make a single .ZIP and .BAT file to take care of everything more cleanly.

When I type adb device in the command prompt it says it is not recognised as an internal or external command... What am I doing wrong?

maminx

Jan 24, 2011
Nogales
Problem solved Rooting and Google Framework (google play, gmail, google maps, sync, etc., etc.)

1) Connect the tablet with a USB cable and let the driver installation fail.

2) Open the Windows device manager and look up the device ID for the tablet.

a. In the device manager, my tablet showed up as Android Tablet or Android Phone

b. Right-click on it and open the Properties window.

c. In the Details tab of the Properties window, change the Property to “Hardware Ids”.

d. Make a note of these Ids for later (I only needed one of them, see the code I added below).

3) Eject the tablet (safely remove the hardware).

4) Download and install the Android SDK

5) I installed SDK tools (required), Android 4.0.3 API 15 (for my tablet), and the Google USB Driver (in the extras section). You can see what version of ICS is running in the tablet by looking in the tablet settings.

6) Once all of the packages are installed, navigate to the file android_winusb.

a. My android_winusb file was located in the following folder: /my_user_account/Local/Android/android-sdk/extras/google/usb_driver
At this point you have to manually add an entry to the android_winusb file for the eGlide XL PRO 2 using the device ID found in step 2. (There are two sections in the android_winusb file, one for 32-bit Windows ([Google.NTx86]) and one for 64-bit Windows ([Google.NTamd64]). Since I am running 32-bit XP, I only added an entry for my tablet to the 32-bit section.)

7) Open android_winusb in a text editor and add an entry in the section relevant to your system using the following syntax (insert your device id where indicated):

;eGlide Steal
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, YOUR_DEVICE_ID_HERE

For my tablet, I added the following entry to the file:

;eGlide Steal
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0003&REV_0230&MI_01

Two device ID numbers were given in the properties window of the device manager. I used the longer one.

8) Save the changes and close the file.

9) When I connected my tablet with a USB cable again, Windows managed to find the driver automatically, but you might have to let the driver installation fail again so that you can point Windows to the location of the driver manually (see step 6a for the location).

10) Search for the app RootBurner_v0.2 (that is the one I used for the serveral ematic tablest (pros, and no pro, blue one and pink one) and follow the simple steps indicated on the app.

11) The app will run, it may say that your tablet where not rooted (on pro version), but don't worry it will be rooted.

12) Download the gapps from rootzwiki page, depending on your android version.

a. Unzip your gapps in your pc, and create a new .tar file with only "system" folder, I created a file "system.tar"

b. Push your "system.tar" with adb into your tablet.

c. Type: su [hit enter]

d. Type: busybox mount -o rw,remount /system

e. untar your system.tar and overwrite your current /system (Do not delte your current /system, overwrite it!!!)

12) Reboot your tablet and enjoy!!!

xbahamutzero

Jan 10, 2013
gapps

what you can do is just put the gapps zip (has to be zipped for it to work)file on a sd card then boot your device into recovery and select update from external then select gapps shouldnt need root in order to do it

chn110

Jan 1, 2009
EGS005 google play store

I followed the instruction to root and adb push gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip system directory to the tablet (had to mount /system rw). But after reboot there is still no PlayStore. Anyone has idea/suggestions?

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
Subscribing..bought one for my mother and one for my mother-in-law for $30 each.

update: rooted, all my apps are installed.

Last edited:

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
I followed the instruction to root and adb push gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip system directory to the tablet (had to mount /system rw). But after reboot there is still no PlayStore. Anyone has idea/suggestions?
but did you actually insall that zip and replaced files in /system?

amdcpus

Jul 21, 2013
I would try again w/different USB port.

ok trying now...

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Sorry but your devices is not rooted !!! Try other method to root !

thats what it said

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

at the end it also says commands executed successfully but no root