is the new nexus 7 hardware support OTG?

Search This thread

neodata686

Aug 5, 2013
OTG mouse not working

What am I doing wrong? New Nexus 7 32GB and I can't get anything to work. I haven't tried mounting a drive yet but both my unifying mouse (that works on my Note II and a USB mouse) do nothing on the Nexus 7.

Is there a trick to getting mouse/keyboards working over an OTG cable? Nothing happens when I plug them in.

cobyman7035

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
when you have USB ota device installed, doesn' t it drain the nex7 battery faster cuz u need to 'power' it? or it doens't drain battery anymore or less, thanks

xene97

May 17, 2010
What am I doing wrong? New Nexus 7 32GB and I can't get anything to work. I haven't tried mounting a drive yet but both my unifying mouse (that works on my Note II and a USB mouse) do nothing on the Nexus 7.

Is there a trick to getting mouse/keyboards working over an OTG cable? Nothing happens when I plug them in.

I too tried to use a unifying keyboard/mouse combo (Logitech K400) with no luck. Try a regular USB mouse & keyboard instead.

neodata686

Aug 5, 2013
Petrarch rchsTok

It could possibly be the OTG cable but there's plenty of people reporting it works fine in the reviews and it even specifies it's for the Nexus 7 plus it works great with my Note II.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

It could possibly be the OTG cable but there's plenty of people reporting it works fine in the reviews and it even specifies it's for the Nexus 7 plus it works great with my Note II.

-So I just tried an older Logitech mouse with a usb receiver (not unifying) and it worked fine but my unifying mouse and a corded USB mouse didn't work. I guess it's a bug in the drivers or something.

sol_671

Apr 8, 2011
Dededo
Works fine with the ps3 controller.. I'll try it with a hard drive to test it out and keep you guys posted

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

naierakram

Sep 7, 2012
Cairo
I'm using otg cable since i got the tablet, but I'm stock rooted, using an app called stick mount, requires root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

duryard

Jun 15, 2010
Exeter
www.iscasilver.co.uk
Will this method work with a external 500GB external Hdd (Intenso). I am still stock unrooted but would root and unlock bootloader if this deffo works with External HD. No seperate power cable for the intenso but it does have on of thos wierd cables 2 USB ends and a micro usb end

IMAG0126_zpse3f6edc3.jpg

I have got a Micro to USB adapator and no joy. Nexus does not see it and neither does Astro :eek:(

Last edited:

TheGeek007

Sep 9, 2010
Brunswick
Will this method work with a external 500GB external Hdd (Intenso). I am still stock unrooted but would root and unlock bootloader if this deffo works with External HD. No seperate power cable for the intenso but it does have on of thos wierd cables 2 USB ends and a micro usb end

IMAG0126_zpse3f6edc3.jpg

My guess would be no, as its not likely wired for USB OTG. However, I'm unfamiliar with the product and it very well could be. The only way would be to try it. Id wager that you have a 20% of it working. Otherwise, get yourself a USB OTG cable and it will likely work.

Reactions: duryard

duryard

Jun 15, 2010
Exeter
www.iscasilver.co.uk
My guess would be no, as its not likely wired for USB OTG. However, I'm unfamiliar with the product and it very well could be. The only way would be to try it. Id wager that you have a 20% of it working. Otherwise, get yourself a USB OTG cable and it will likely work.

Thanks. I have tried with different combo of cables/Adapators with no Joy. Looks like I will have to splash out for a OTG cable or maybe a Powered hub. The Intenso does not have a power in socket of any sort.

Cosolord

Mar 26, 2008
Can you explain how you got the flash drives to work? I can get a USB keyboard and mouse to work simultaneously with a hub, but although my flash drive will mount successfully through Stickmount the folder is showing as empty no matter what I put in it (I'm rooted too of course). You seem to have gotten this to work so I'm wondering specifically what you did.

Same here !
I have bought a toshiba 1tb 2.5" and i can mount the device with stickmount but i see an empty directory (using es explorer).
I have formatted in ntf, fat32 and exfat with same result.
Maybe i have to buy an Y cable ? I don't think so, because stickmount works.

Please help me !
Thank you :)

lagrossebete

Sep 13, 2013
USB storage problem on Nexus 7 v2 root

hello,
i own a Nexus 7 v2 (2013), 32Go, Build: JSS15Q.
The tablet is root via Wug's nexus toolkit.
I rooted the tablet to be able to use my OTG cable for External USB storage.
The problem is i can't connect any usb external drive, hard drive or flash drive via my OTG cable
The OTG cable works fine on my galaxy S2.
i tried USB OTG Helper, Stickmount, OTG disk Explorer, no results
they can't see no drive to mount...
Any Tips??

thanks in advance.

Koplinjp

Apr 9, 2009
Almeirim
Usb otg helper

hello,
i own a Nexus 7 v2 (2013), 32Go, Build: JSS15Q.
The tablet is root via Wug's nexus toolkit.
I rooted the tablet to be able to use my OTG cable for External USB storage.
The problem is i can't connect any usb external drive, hard drive or flash drive via my OTG cable
The OTG cable works fine on my galaxy S2.
i tried USB OTG Helper, Stickmount, OTG disk Explorer, no results
they can't see no drive to mount...
Any Tips??

thanks in advance.

I use USB OTG Helper on an unlocked, rooted nexus 7 v2 with stock firmware and it works, only with USB pen drive...

Last edited:

TheGeek007

Sep 9, 2010
Brunswick
Received my USB OTG cable that had previously been confirmed to work with the 2013 N7, but yet it didn't work with my flash drive. I've only tried stickmount so far. I'll have to test out some other things to verify, but I have yet to get anything to work yet. Will post results later.

irekz

Feb 15, 2008
I had issues with OTG and here is what end up doing:

- rooted of course
- installed ElementlX 1.4 kernel (just kernel, stock rom). This one has NTFS support baked in
- installed StickMount from Play Store

Initial attempts to mount using StickMount failed - but following this always works for me:
I power off the device, plug the cable and then reboot. When device starts with OTG attached StckMount always manages to mount/unmount it no problem.

Hope it helps,
Cheers,
Irek

ps. now trying to get CIFS to work in this configuration....:eek:

bjy8138

Apr 30, 2007

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oooh looks like NTFS is the issue, I just checked and my flash drive is NTFS. Is there a particular reason why NTFS doesn't work? I had no issues with it on the old Nexus 7.

Is there a way to convert from NTFS to a format that will work on the new N7? Or whatever yours is haha

Playing with that now. Will update when I know something.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

I WON!!!

1. Download USB OTG Helper [root]
    2. Reboot device
    3. Plug in NTFS drive (if just a flashdrive you can plug directly into OTG cable, if using a USB-powered hard drive plug into powered USB hub)
    4. Open USB OTG Helper and press Mount
    5. The drive will be mounted at /storage/UsbOtgDrives

I'm now able to read a 32GB flashdrive and my 750GB backup drive.
    Excellent!

Rooted, installed Stickmount and now I can read my flashdrive!!!

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Even better...

Using a powered USB hub I can read 2 flashdrives simultaneously

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

USB mouse & keyboard with a non-powered hub also worked
    Unless I'm mistaken I think the current(old) Nexus 7 supports OTG, you just have to buy an OTG cable for it from Amazon or somewhere similar, something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Cable...F8&qid=1374828603&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+7+otg

So going by this I would assume to new one would also, seems pretty standard on devices these days.
    Old unrooted nexus 7 to read OTG disk

With the original N7, you need to be rooted and use a third party app such as StickMount.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

There are an app on google play for unrooted Nexus 7s, you may search "OTG disk explorer" on google play:
    I had a problem using StickMount in mounting my NTFS formatted flash drive awhile ago. Got this from another thread and it worked for me:

----- Filesystem support -----

The filesystems supported depends on your device firmware. On most devices, at least vfat/fat/fat32 and ext2/3/4 are supported. On the latest Android versions, ntfs is also supported in read-only mode. Some devices also support exfat out the box, but most do not.

StickMount can utilize the "ntfs-3g" and "mount.exfat-fuse" binaries to add support for ntfs (untested) and exfat, but these are not included. If you place the "ntfs-3g" or "mount.exfat-fuse" files in the root of your internal storage ( /sdcard ), StickMount will automatically use them.

You can find the needed files here:

ntfs-3g: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1145436&stc=1&d=1340293802

mount.exfat-fuse: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806200&d=1323109372