Is the OnePlus 8 Pro worth getting in 2021?

Search This thread

Extreme_Ninja2099

Jan 1, 2017
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 6T
Hi everyone,

I've recently was given £500 Amazon giftcard and I was thinking if I should upgrade from my OP6T or not. I've been looking on what I should get like a treat for myself and for phones it seems like the 8 pro is a good deal. I could literally get a OP8 Pro (used like new with original packaging) from Amazon warehouse. I'm not sure how's the custom ROM situation for the 8 Pro, but I do know that the OP9 Pro is riddled with heating and battery life issues (def not worth the price). I could literally get the 8 pro for free with a case + tpu screen protector and some cash left. Basically a free OP8 Pro?!

I've been planning to buy it since Tuesday, but held off as I just couldn't justify the purchase. I could just buy it and return it, but I just don't need it and will probs return it anyways. My OP6T is solid, replaced the battery last year, getting at least 4hrs 20mins of SoT and running CrDroid ROM which still supports my old OP3?! I got October SP as well on A11. The 8 pro is supported as well! Is this upgrade worth it and needed?

From current leaks the OP10 Pro seems to be another boring punch hole device as OEMs aren't ready to release flagships with UDC and even the UDC tech won't be as good as of next year if it even came out next year. A device with UDC that's usable will probs be out like 2023 or 2024 which I'm not waiting that long for. Itching for new tech I guess and support will probs be dropped for my OP6T by then.

The OP8 Pro is a good device with some weird display issues reported by users online. Black crush, display getting green, UIelements staying on the display. Probs not as bad as the OP9 Pro especially when I'm getting it for free lol. I'm just stuck and any help will be great.

ps000000

Sep 17, 2011
Nonthaburi / Bangkok
Depend on how much you will buy it.
My unit manufactured since mid 2020.
It has Blackcrush , Banding , minimal green tint.
But those screen issues are not major for me.
Let's wait the initial review of Snapdragon next Flagship SoC 898
expect debut with Xiaomi 12 later this year.
Those might give you an idea how OP10 Pro SoC will perform.
I think 9 RT improve heat management in hardware for 888 not sure,
If OP10Pro will improve that further more.

Extreme_Ninja2099

Jan 1, 2017
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 6T
Depend on how much you will buy it.
My unit manufactured since mid 2020.
It has Blackcrush , Banding , minimal green tint.
But those screen issues are not major for me.
Let's wait the initial review of Snapdragon next Flagship SoC 898
expect debut with Xiaomi 12 later this year.
Those might give you an idea how OP10 Pro SoC will perform.
I think 9 RT improve heat management in hardware for 888 not sure,
If OP10Pro will improve that further more.
I already said how much it is. "I could literally get the 8 pro for free with a case + tpu screen protector and some cash left. Basically a free OP8 Pro?!" Tbh I don't really care about SoCs tbh they are just like cameras for phones, you'll expect to get a new + improved one when a brand new phone comes out each year. The SD 845 is fine for me. It's just the missing features my 6T doesn't have and maybe battery life. How's the battery life for the OP8 Pro now? Are u still on OOS or are u running a custom ROM? @ps000000

ps000000

Sep 17, 2011
Nonthaburi / Bangkok
I often switch ROMs, as flashaholic person test for few hours.
But mostly back to stock because my workplace app only run well on stock.
Battery life look okay after 1.5 years.
Just my 1 person experience, you may consider read another site like oneplus forum on reddit , local oneplus facebook group etc.
(English is not my 1st language I might not good explain or good reading well.)

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Great phone
Superb development here on XDA
Great community too which always helps
Price should be competitive now too
Performance is spot on, it'll run Wii games to give you an idea of the strength of the 865
Battery is great
Camera has served me well, plus if you want the infrared see through things camera, the 8 pro is the only place you'll get it (and still can on OOS)

That being said.. If it were me I'd see what the new Pixel has to offer (Tizen chip) it's their first phone with this chip, will it be any good? Is it Google's answer to apples M1?

I'd wait and see, if it is then get that, if not then OnePlus 10 Pro (if it will even be called that)

Reactions: ps000000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Great phone
    Superb development here on XDA
    Great community too which always helps
    Price should be competitive now too
    Performance is spot on, it'll run Wii games to give you an idea of the strength of the 865
    Battery is great
    Camera has served me well, plus if you want the infrared see through things camera, the 8 pro is the only place you'll get it (and still can on OOS)

That being said.. If it were me I'd see what the new Pixel has to offer (Tizen chip) it's their first phone with this chip, will it be any good? Is it Google's answer to apples M1?

I'd wait and see, if it is then get that, if not then OnePlus 10 Pro (if it will even be called that)