• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question is the OnePlus 9pro still Worth getting

Search This thread

JesusOmarMJ23

Jun 13, 2018
OnePlus 9 Pro
If you want it to install roms forget it, the developers have it very abandoned. For example, no developer has compiled a beta version for Android 12, But if you want to use it normally, I really recommend the 9 more because the 9 Pro with the Rom stock the battery is ****.

COCODRILO45

If you want it to install roms forget it, the developers have it very abandoned. For example, no developer has compiled a beta version for Android 12, But if you want to use it normally, I really recommend the 9 more because the 9 Pro with the Rom stock the battery is ****.
yea im big on roms i might wait for a good deal on a one plus 8pro

Reactions: JesusOmarMJ23

mlord

Aug 18, 2014
As with most other devices, A12 roms are unlikely to be available until after the OOS 12 ROM is released (GA, not Beta).

There are lots of good A11 ROMs out there, and the phone itself (LE2125) is excellent. The stock OOS 11 is also very very good.

But hey, doesn't affect me one way or another what phone/ROM you use. I'm very happy with what I have!

Cheers

Buslova

A12 OOS official isn't out yet and most devs actually prefer to use finished sources before releasing anything to public. I'm sure some are building ROM's off the beta builds for testing but not releasing them. Also, only some people seem to have issues with the battery, heat, etc. I (and others) have no such issues with our 9pros even on stock OOS. I would suggest the phone to anyone honestly.

Reactions: tathagatab

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
Wait for what ? OnePlus 10 ?
OnePlus 8 pro Oxygen OS too will get worse because of google BS.
About roms look in Development section.

aman2125

Aug 24, 2019
im thinking about buying the 9 pro but at has been out for a while should i just wait or should i pull the trigger need some advice
Been using the device for over 3 months and can confidently say that nothing makes the device worth the price. The phone heats up with general use. Battery life is pretty ordinary. Not much into camera, screen and performance are the only saving grace.
If I was into ROMs, I would buy a device with the best price to specs ratio like mi 11 series or ROG 5 or even the standard 9 and upcoming 9RT. But avoid the 9 pro at all cost.

Reactions: COCODRILO45

seelions

Dec 7, 2011
NC & VT
The answer for you will depend on your priorities ;-)

I needed a phone recently and found an open box 9 Pro on ebay within my budget. I wouldn't have bought this phone at msrp. My experience has overall been positive. The only time I've overheated the phone was transferring about 80 GB from my old phone before realizing both were on a heat soaked surface. Putting the phone where it could breathe resolved this. Even with extended gaming sessions, the phone has run cool since. Battery life more than meets my daily needs. PD support is ideal as that's what my pc uses at work, so I don't worry about carrying a charger. A 10 min top up at 45W from PD or 65W from the stock charger is a game changer. Going from 20-90% in ~12 mins on the included charger while making coffee & breakfast is great!

Note on battery life: I tend to power off my device for a few mins a couple times each month for consistency. Especially after the primary Google Assistant app updates (this one).

I'm a photography enthusiast and have been generally happy with the 9 Pro IQ. If you do end up getting this phone or the OP9, take some time to review the different options (like Photo, Pro, Portrait) and settings - they are extensive and can be fine tuned for your use case. Be sure to take some test shots to dial this in.

The biggest shortcoming is the selfie cam, which has low dynamic range, easily washing out. I installed gcam MGC by BSG (currently v8.1.101) and it takes much better selfie shots. For the rear facing sensors, the stock camera app vs. gcam HDR+ generally show parity.

My partner has a Pixel 5 so using her phone for selfies is also an option. I prefer the FOV on the OP tho.

The screen is gorgeous! I tried 60 hz vs 120 hz with lpto and noted little effect on battery life, so have remained on the latter. I've found FHD+ meets my needs as the screen size shows little benefit bumping up to QHD+. I appreciate the stock Screen Calibration options and find Advanced > AMOLED Wide Gamut gives the color palette I prefer.

Two things requiring workarounds for my use:
a) My previous phone had a notification light, which I used more than I realized. Rather than turn the screen on periodically, I enabled the Always on Display during my waking hours, problem solved.
b) Historically I've traveled internationally for work, so having dual sims has been a must. It looks like there is work from XDA devs underway to enable this if OP doesn't themselves. Otherwise my partner has an old mobile hotspot from her job I'll commandeer when/if work travel resumes.

Reviews that helped me make an informed decision:
o XDA Devs : of course!

o Notebookcheck
https://www.notebookcheck.net/OnePl...end-phone-charges-twice-as-fast.530399.0.html

o GSM Arena review and comparison to other phones
https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_9_pro-10806.php

o Photography Blog
https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/oneplus_9_pro_review

o Danny Winget Youtube firmware comparison

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

RumRunner19

Mar 28, 2021
Been using the device for over 3 months and can confidently say that nothing makes the device worth the price. The phone heats up with general use. Battery life is pretty ordinary. Not much into camera, screen and performance are the only saving grace.
If I was into ROMs, I would buy a device with the best price to specs ratio like mi 11 series or ROG 5 or even the standard 9 and upcoming 9RT. But avoid the 9 pro at all cost.

Horrible advice

Buslova

Performance will be close at worst but when it comes to software and features and picture quality the Pixel 6 is on a whole different level. That's just my opinion.
Nobody really knows yet. Since Pixel 6 series is using a new in-house cpu (Tensor) and there are no reviews out yet (product ships on 10/28) so no one really knows what it's going to really perform like. I also would be curious if/how easy it will be to root or unlock bootloader since it's a totally different CPU architecture.

AndyC76

Nov 24, 2010
I came from a OnePlus 3T. Overall I think this phone is great, the camera and functionality is slick. I also appreciate that having the phone on max performance levels, screen brightness and sync enabled will impact the battery.

I like that it has an active community here, and on the OnePlus forums. I've logged a few bugs and evidenced how to recreate them. Am I unhappy about the companies communication style, not being open about throttling etc, yes. However I understand that people are human and make mistakes. It's still a young device released 6 months ago. Let's see where we are in a year from now

Extreme_Ninja2099

Jan 1, 2017
yea im big on roms i might wait for a good deal on a one plus 8pro
Funny enough, I was thinking recently if I should get the 8 pro as well. Specifically for rooting/custom ROMs. I'm currently using a OP6T (rooted with CrDroid ROM), I can literally get the 8 Pro for free with a screen protector + case and some cash left from my £500 Amazon giftcard. But I just don't know if I should get a 8 pro or not and I can't justify the purchase tbh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The answer for you will depend on your priorities ;-)

I needed a phone recently and found an open box 9 Pro on ebay within my budget. I wouldn't have bought this phone at msrp. My experience has overall been positive. The only time I've overheated the phone was transferring about 80 GB from my old phone before realizing both were on a heat soaked surface. Putting the phone where it could breathe resolved this. Even with extended gaming sessions, the phone has run cool since. Battery life more than meets my daily needs. PD support is ideal as that's what my pc uses at work, so I don't worry about carrying a charger. A 10 min top up at 45W from PD or 65W from the stock charger is a game changer. Going from 20-90% in ~12 mins on the included charger while making coffee & breakfast is great!

Note on battery life: I tend to power off my device for a few mins a couple times each month for consistency. Especially after the primary Google Assistant app updates (this one).

I'm a photography enthusiast and have been generally happy with the 9 Pro IQ. If you do end up getting this phone or the OP9, take some time to review the different options (like Photo, Pro, Portrait) and settings - they are extensive and can be fine tuned for your use case. Be sure to take some test shots to dial this in.

The biggest shortcoming is the selfie cam, which has low dynamic range, easily washing out. I installed gcam MGC by BSG (currently v8.1.101) and it takes much better selfie shots. For the rear facing sensors, the stock camera app vs. gcam HDR+ generally show parity.

My partner has a Pixel 5 so using her phone for selfies is also an option. I prefer the FOV on the OP tho.

The screen is gorgeous! I tried 60 hz vs 120 hz with lpto and noted little effect on battery life, so have remained on the latter. I've found FHD+ meets my needs as the screen size shows little benefit bumping up to QHD+. I appreciate the stock Screen Calibration options and find Advanced > AMOLED Wide Gamut gives the color palette I prefer.

Two things requiring workarounds for my use:
    a) My previous phone had a notification light, which I used more than I realized. Rather than turn the screen on periodically, I enabled the Always on Display during my waking hours, problem solved.
    b) Historically I've traveled internationally for work, so having dual sims has been a must. It looks like there is work from XDA devs underway to enable this if OP doesn't themselves. Otherwise my partner has an old mobile hotspot from her job I'll commandeer when/if work travel resumes.

Reviews that helped me make an informed decision:
    o XDA Devs : of course!

o Notebookcheck
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/OnePl...end-phone-charges-twice-as-fast.530399.0.html

o GSM Arena review and comparison to other phones
    https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_9_pro-10806.php

o Photography Blog
    https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/oneplus_9_pro_review

o Danny Winget Youtube firmware comparison

Hope this helps!
    burp.... Evo seems to have dropped support. OP is dead
    why do you still have "Oneplus 9 pro" in your signature? If I remember correctly you bricked then phsyically destroyed your pro out of anger and bought a non-pro Oneplus 9 which you seem to like. However you still troll these pro forums. I don't care personally however if someone is asking if the pro is worth getting, I think they need to know your history with the device before listening to your advice. lol
    In a lot of ways, the OnePlus 9 Pro is a great phone, with a super-smooth screen, the fastest wired and wireless charging, pleasant software, with a solid long-term update commitment. I even enjoy the camera.
    As with most other devices, A12 roms are unlikely to be available until after the OOS 12 ROM is released (GA, not Beta).

There are lots of good A11 ROMs out there, and the phone itself (LE2125) is excellent. The stock OOS 11 is also very very good.

But hey, doesn't affect me one way or another what phone/ROM you use. I'm very happy with what I have!

Cheers

Horrible advice