Question is the OnePlus 9pro still Worth getting

Search This thread
I bought the OnePlus 9 Pro last week. Why? I have a Google Pixel 3XL. It's working fine. But, there's this small problem:

Bricking Pixel 3XL's (and some 4's)

My 3XL is still working okay. But seeing how Google has treated the apparently thousands of people who've experienced this, I'm done with them. I should not have to worry that my phone will brick suddenly after only a few years ownership. I require a backup phone for MFA safety.

So, I installed LineageOS on the 3XL. Nobody knows if that will prevent the eventual bricking or not - because Google has no f'ing clue either - but at least for now it's still alive. If it winds up bricking, I'll buy some other cheap phone for MFA backup. Definitely not a google phone.

I also dropped Google fi after four years using it, simply because no thank you Google, You can snoop my email for ad opportunities and make money off of me that way. I'm not going to voluntarily hand you cold hard cash any more.

So far I've had zero issues with the 9 Pro, other than annoyance at their insistance that the "1" in clocks always be red. The camera is fine, phone calling is fine, display is excellent, all my apps work, no heat problems whatsoever, full day usage down to only about 50% by the end of the day.

And frankly, I find the Pixel 6 ugly as hell. I was absolutely set to buy one - ugly or not. But contemplating having a Pixel 6 pro brick after warrantly expires is a deal breaker for the brand as far as I'm concerned.

Blue_Monk

Mar 29, 2008
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 6
I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about it. Plese keep in mind I bought it to use as a "save me from having to carry 3 extra laptops with me" device.

From my limited exp so far:
- runs a tad hot when doing AR/VR gaming but it's not the end of the world. I'm not expecting a phone to be cool while gaming.
- camera is great for my needs. I am also using the macro one for soldering and got rid of my old setup
- runs 4-5 VNC/RDP sessions like a champ
- desktop mode is crude as hell but usable if you hook it up to a screen. I use it with AR glasses or with screen casting quite a bit to access my rack when not home
- Battery is reasonable but with this charging speed I don't care about it much. I get 4h+ of AR/VR usage and charge it back during my lunch break

Things that bother me:
- no more call recording with the default dialer. I'll probably replace it at some point.
- runs hot when doing heavy stuff (I know it's normal but I want to whine like everyone else)
- no 3.5mm jack (yeah.. I'm that old)
- Can't seem to get audio to play over 2 bt headsets at the same time(might be me on this one)
- USB ethernet is sometimes moody and stops working. Comes back after unplug/plug the adapter. Not sure if it's my adapters or something with the OS

Dashwood Foxe

Dec 23, 2014
I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about it. Plese keep in mind I bought it to use as a "save me from having to carry 3 extra laptops with me" device.

From my limited exp so far:
- runs a tad hot when doing AR/VR gaming but it's not the end of the world. I'm not expecting a phone to be cool while gaming.
- camera is great for my needs. I am also using the macro one for soldering and got rid of my old setup
- runs 4-5 VNC/RDP sessions like a champ
- desktop mode is crude as hell but usable if you hook it up to a screen. I use it with AR glasses or with screen casting quite a bit to access my rack when not home
- Battery is reasonable but with this charging speed I don't care about it much. I get 4h+ of AR/VR usage and charge it back during my lunch break

Things that bother me:
- no more call recording with the default dialer. I'll probably replace it at some point.
- runs hot when doing heavy stuff (I know it's normal but I want to whine like everyone else)
- no 3.5mm jack (yeah.. I'm that old)
- Can't seem to get audio to play over 2 bt headsets at the same time(might be me on this one)
- USB ethernet is sometimes moody and stops working. Comes back after unplug/plug the adapter. Not sure if it's my adapters or something with the OS
I for say, no. Grab a pixel 6 pro. Everything about the 6 is just better minus the warp charge.

Buslova

burp.... Evo seems to have dropped support. OP is dead
why do you still have "Oneplus 9 pro" in your signature? If I remember correctly you bricked then phsyically destroyed your pro out of anger and bought a non-pro Oneplus 9 which you seem to like. However you still troll these pro forums. I don't care personally however if someone is asking if the pro is worth getting, I think they need to know your history with the device before listening to your advice. lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The answer for you will depend on your priorities ;-)

I needed a phone recently and found an open box 9 Pro on ebay within my budget. I wouldn't have bought this phone at msrp. My experience has overall been positive. The only time I've overheated the phone was transferring about 80 GB from my old phone before realizing both were on a heat soaked surface. Putting the phone where it could breathe resolved this. Even with extended gaming sessions, the phone has run cool since. Battery life more than meets my daily needs. PD support is ideal as that's what my pc uses at work, so I don't worry about carrying a charger. A 10 min top up at 45W from PD or 65W from the stock charger is a game changer. Going from 20-90% in ~12 mins on the included charger while making coffee & breakfast is great!

Note on battery life: I tend to power off my device for a few mins a couple times each month for consistency. Especially after the primary Google Assistant app updates (this one).

I'm a photography enthusiast and have been generally happy with the 9 Pro IQ. If you do end up getting this phone or the OP9, take some time to review the different options (like Photo, Pro, Portrait) and settings - they are extensive and can be fine tuned for your use case. Be sure to take some test shots to dial this in.

The biggest shortcoming is the selfie cam, which has low dynamic range, easily washing out. I installed gcam MGC by BSG (currently v8.1.101) and it takes much better selfie shots. For the rear facing sensors, the stock camera app vs. gcam HDR+ generally show parity.

My partner has a Pixel 5 so using her phone for selfies is also an option. I prefer the FOV on the OP tho.

The screen is gorgeous! I tried 60 hz vs 120 hz with lpto and noted little effect on battery life, so have remained on the latter. I've found FHD+ meets my needs as the screen size shows little benefit bumping up to QHD+. I appreciate the stock Screen Calibration options and find Advanced > AMOLED Wide Gamut gives the color palette I prefer.

Two things requiring workarounds for my use:
    a) My previous phone had a notification light, which I used more than I realized. Rather than turn the screen on periodically, I enabled the Always on Display during my waking hours, problem solved.
    b) Historically I've traveled internationally for work, so having dual sims has been a must. It looks like there is work from XDA devs underway to enable this if OP doesn't themselves. Otherwise my partner has an old mobile hotspot from her job I'll commandeer when/if work travel resumes.

Reviews that helped me make an informed decision:
    o XDA Devs : of course!

o Notebookcheck
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/OnePl...end-phone-charges-twice-as-fast.530399.0.html

o GSM Arena review and comparison to other phones
    https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_9_pro-10806.php

o Photography Blog
    https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/oneplus_9_pro_review

o Danny Winget Youtube firmware comparison

Hope this helps!
    burp.... Evo seems to have dropped support. OP is dead
    why do you still have "Oneplus 9 pro" in your signature? If I remember correctly you bricked then phsyically destroyed your pro out of anger and bought a non-pro Oneplus 9 which you seem to like. However you still troll these pro forums. I don't care personally however if someone is asking if the pro is worth getting, I think they need to know your history with the device before listening to your advice. lol
    In a lot of ways, the OnePlus 9 Pro is a great phone, with a super-smooth screen, the fastest wired and wireless charging, pleasant software, with a solid long-term update commitment. I even enjoy the camera.
    As with most other devices, A12 roms are unlikely to be available until after the OOS 12 ROM is released (GA, not Beta).

There are lots of good A11 ROMs out there, and the phone itself (LE2125) is excellent. The stock OOS 11 is also very very good.

But hey, doesn't affect me one way or another what phone/ROM you use. I'm very happy with what I have!

Cheers
    Been using the device for over 3 months and can confidently say that nothing makes the device worth the price. The phone heats up with general use. Battery life is pretty ordinary. Not much into camera, screen and performance are the only saving grace.
    If I was into ROMs, I would buy a device with the best price to specs ratio like mi 11 series or ROG 5 or even the standard 9 and upcoming 9RT. But avoid the 9 pro at all cost.

Horrible advice