Question Is there a Dual SIM Snapdragon S21 Ultra model?

Search This thread

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
T mobile now 20 getting esim capability in latest update:

from what I can gather, after a LOT of trying . . . there is no dual sim US version samsung phone. This from a lot of searching and phone conversations with several tech and sales personnel on the phone with Samsung. For this reason, I bought a non US version which broke the Samsung Health Monitor app and does not work for 5G within the USA. other than that it seems to be behaving nicely on the Tmobile US based network.
Aargh. I feel bad for you.
It seems like T-Mo and Samsung may finally get their act together.

griderphone

Apr 23, 2021
Aargh. I feel bad for you.
It seems like T-Mo and Samsung may finally get their act together.
i actually had a tmobile rep tell me that the s21 line of phones all had esim. I made her ask tech support if they could be used dual sim. she said they confirmed it. I then went to Tmobile in person and was told the same thing. I asked to buy one, but made him try to set up the esim before he unboxed it. turns out he couldnt do it after all. He had been enabling them on the S20 note and just assumed he could on the S21s as well. Turns out he couldnt. I asked several Samsung reps about dual sim US phones and they all said no, even though apparently the Tmobile S20 line of phones are dual sim capable with esim. I dont believe anything anybody tells me anymore till I actually see it. I'm exhausted from all this. I gave up. Im now using a US version Iphone esim + physical sim in dual sim mode and it works fine . . . the only quirk being that I cant get 5g with both sims enabled. Not a big deal to me. Can't believe Samsung pushed me away to Apple . . . and I loathe Apple ... lol

Reactions: nixnixnixnix4

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
I find it curious e-Sim functionality is such a hot topic in the US. If one leaves their coverage area often or is a business man or woman who travels frequently it's a valuable feature. Also in Europe you are more likely to leave your service provider's footprint since many countries are part of the same region. The dominant service provider's in the US offer free coverage in Mexico and Canada so where's the necessity for most US consumers and who really wants the added cost for two service providers? I'll agree it's the big carrier's who are blocking the feature but for most customers in the US it's a moot point. If on a rare occasion you need a second SIM it takes about ten seconds to swap it. No big deal.

i actually had a tmobile rep tell me that the s21 line of phones all had esim. I made her ask tech support if they could be used dual sim. she said they confirmed it. I then went to Tmobile in person and was told the same thing. I asked to buy one, but made him try to set up the esim before he unboxed it. turns out he couldnt do it after all. He had been enabling them on the S20 note and just assumed he could on the S21s as well. Turns out he couldnt. I asked several Samsung reps about dual sim US phones and they all said no, even though apparently the Tmobile S20 line of phones are dual sim capable with esim. I dont believe anything anybody tells me anymore till I actually see it. I'm exhausted from all this. I gave up. Im now using a US version Iphone esim + physical sim in dual sim mode and it works fine . . . the only quirk being that I cant get 5g with both sims enabled. Not a big deal to me. Can't believe Samsung pushed me away to Apple . . . and I loathe Apple ... lol

Yeah, well, that's these bloody carriers for you.
Android should never have bowed before them. I'm not surprised that T-Mo is first in fixing this issue. They're not as scummy as the other 2.
It does seem like Samsung is aware of this issue and is trying to fix it.
But, as usual, some features take longer to come to Androidverse, as compared with iOSland.

In 2019, the number of mobile subscriptions in the U.S. was at 442.46 million.
In 2018, the number of unique mobile subscribers in the United States was at 278 million.
In 2020, the US had a population of ~331M.

Even after accounting for some of the more exotic uses of cellular service, like: IoT, GPS/Cellular tracking, certain medical devices, etc., you can tell that there are more subscriptions than there are people.

So, clearly, there are many people who have 2 plans. Why? Work, usually.
Many working people are required to keep their work number active/online at all times or during set times.

Carrying 2 phones gets old really fast.

If you want Android to stand a chance against Apple's impending monopoly in the US -- you're going to need dual-SIM.

Many working people have cited Apple's iPhone dual-SIM acceptance as a reason for using iPhone.

griderphone

Apr 23, 2021
Yeah, well, that's these bloody carriers for you.
Android should never have bowed before them. I'm not surprised that T-Mo is first in fixing this issue. They're not as scummy as the other 2.
It does seem like Samsung is aware of this issue and is trying to fix it.
But, as usual, some features take longer to come to Androidverse, as compared with iOSland.

Even after accounting for some of the more exotic uses of cellular service, like: IoT, GPS/Cellular tracking, certain medical devices, etc., you can tell that there are more subscriptions than there are people.

So, clearly, there are many people who have 2 plans. Why? Work, usually.
Many working people are required to keep their work number active/online at all times or during set times.

Carrying 2 phones gets old really fast.

If you want Android to stand a chance against Apple's impending monopoly in the US -- you're going to need dual-SIM.

Many working people have cited Apple's iPhone dual-SIM acceptance as a reason for using iPhone.

I had no idea that it was the Carrier facilitating this nonsense, but I guess that makes more sense. I would think that Samsung would be livid if the carrier allowed the flagship Apple product to be dual sim but not theirs. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll sort it out and I can migrate back to android after a couple years (I feel like I'm priced in to Apple for that long). Its a pain in the rear trying to keep that in mind and shy away from Apple specific things (eg Apple Home) that will make me feel locked in though. I'm already missing android Secure Folders.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
I had no idea that it was the Carrier facilitating this nonsense, but I guess that makes more sense. I would think that Samsung would be livid if the carrier allowed the flagship Apple product to be dual sim but not theirs. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll sort it out and I can migrate back to android after a couple years (I feel like I'm priced in to Apple for that long). Its a pain in the rear trying to keep that in mind and shy away from Apple specific things (eg Apple Home) that will make me feel locked in though. I'm already missing android Secure Folders.
All 3 carriers want to maintain a closed data-mining loop on you. They don't want to see the data and calling parts get split up because the consumer found better pricing by separating the calling/texting and data providers -- which could be a whole lot cheaper.

The carriers also don't want you to try their competitor's cellphone coverage in a hassle-free way. I will give T-Mo a pass on this last issue though because they will literally do everything in their power to give you cell coverage at little to no extra cost to you. They gave my friend an extender for free.

I have an iPad Pro, a Samsung S21 Ultra, a Windows NUC workstation, a Linux NUC Server/HTPC, and a turnkey consumer-grade NAS for the family to use.

I could go down the home automation rabbit hole -- but, after seeing friends try and suffer at it, I've decided to keep the home automation to a minimum necessary amount. That home automation market is still in its infancy IMO, and I'll just wait for it to get better.

I do like HomeAssistant though. It's worth it if you have some basic Linux chops.

In the US, Samsung is basically Android now. Look at the statistics.

Samsung is to Android today what Dell was to Windows in the 2000s. Heck, it's even more than that.
Pixels have ~3% market-share. LG Mobile is gone. ASUS and SONY are niche. Who's left? OneMinus, which doesn't update your buggy phone, and charges more for fewer features than Samsung gives you?

I am actually glad that this has happened though, because, now as Android's biggest promoter, Samsung is taking some responsiblity and putting up a fight against Apple's monopoly. Samsung cares more about Android than Google.

Last edited:

ZayaanAhyaan

Dec 2, 2016
Is there a Dual SIM Snapdragon S21 Ultra model? If yes, what’s the model number?
Yes, it's the HK variant, I have it. Both SIM slots working. Only issue is the Camera goes a bit bonkers when it comes to facial tones....beautifies it if theres even the slightest of movement! I tried the Exynos version at the mall and there was a huge difference in processing....guess it has to do with Asian model phones.

Fixed it with GCAM though.

SM-G9980

ekerbuddyeker

I also have the physical dual sim g9980. I use it on TMOB and I DO get 5G on TMOB in the US as well as 5G in Europe. The 5G only kicked in a few weeks ago. Up until the last update (August) it never showed 5G. It isn't the main two 5G bands but a third band that this device happens to have. It isn't really faster than LTE but I get signal in more places than I used to.

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S10+
The only problem with e-Sim is your Service Provider has to offer an e-Sim Profile functionality. If they don't your e-Sim can't be activated. Dual Physical SIM's guarantee Multi Network Compatibility. The good thing is a device can have up to 6 e-Sim's on 1 device. Not sure where this scenario would prove useful but it's an option.

Confused because of this response repeatedly from samsung support (Maybe its specific to the EXYNOS variant)?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-08 212830.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-01-08 212830.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 29

Top Liked Posts