• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Is there a tempered glass screen protector that works with the finger print scanner?

Search This thread

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
I am using a Mr. Shield protector and the fingerprint reader works (somewhat). I trained without the screen protector and then placed it on and it worked like half the time. I added the same finger again with the protector and it seems to work 😃

[3-Pack]-Mr.Shield Designed For Google Pixel 6 [Tempered Glass] [Japan Glass with 9H Hardness] Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097R75JP...abc_22C3VB3GAD462DMR85RF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

TimFo

Nov 7, 2021
Just saw this, Google updated their support page, listing approved screen protector manufacturers.

These are:

Otterbox
Panzerglass
Zagg

Reading many threads, it appeared Zagg was the one to go for, so this backs that up.

From my experience, I have tried Olixar, which did not work at all. It even had problems reading the fingerprint during training.

I've currently got a Spigen align master.

After hours of training last night, it kinda works but not reliably. Initially I had no consistent luck and was going to give up but I followed the advice to moisturise my digits and this made a huge difference to the training.

I have to place my thumb at a very specific angle and pitch, when I get this right, it's almost 100%.

You should be able to grab your phone and plant your thumb down from any angle, so this is less than ideal.

Will keep this Spigen on for now until the above protectors come in stock .

Reactions: Circlesqr
I had one included with a case for my note 20 that actually worked. In the light the glass had small dots all over that could only be seen at an angle. Unfortunately I dropped it and it broke and the next one I ordered (same listing on amazon) did not work, however I do know they must exist because I've seen one before that did indeed work.

I will not recommend the one I had because the latest one they sent me didn't work 😔

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
just replaced my previous one with this. Quite a bit better (but only paid $6 for three of the other one - no complaints). The camera hole is not too small as previous one and it covers just a tiny bit more of the sides of the screen and definitely more of the top and bottom. Works better with gestures.

Oleophobic coating is better than the cheaper ones I used. Feels great. A lot less smudging and fingerprints on this one.

Fingerprint works the same still. Guess it's the same thickness as the one I just trained.

Overall I can recommend this one.
update, getting colder and air is getting drier here. I can feel my hands are dry. And the FP scanner is now almost unusable with the L K Pixel 6 "compatible" protector. I have to lick my thumb to get it to work. As long as it is moist it works great. As soon as my fingers are dry again, it stops and works maybe 2 out of 10 times.

I'm currently using this one and I can honestly say that I don't have any issues with screen sensitivity or the finger printer not working. I didn't have to update the firmware or even turn on screen sensitivity for it to work. This kit includes 3 screen protectors and 2 rear camera protectors as well.

I've used it in the past with other smartphones and they're actually not that bad. They get the job done at an affordable price.

Also, when I first registered my finger prints, I did so with the screen protector. If you guys are having issues with the prints not reading correctly after installing this, then try deleting them and redoing it after installing the screen protector.

Bwangster12

Jan 3, 2011
New York
I'm currently using this one and I can honestly say that I don't have any issues with screen sensitivity or the finger printer not working. I didn't have to update the firmware or even turn on screen sensitivity for it to work. This kit includes 3 screen protectors and 2 rear camera protectors as well.

I've used it in the past with other smartphones and they're actually not that bad. They get the job done at an affordable price.

Also, when I first registered my finger prints, I did so with the screen protector. If you guys are having issues with the prints not reading correctly after installing this, then try deleting them and redoing it after installing the screen protector.
How is the front facing camera after this is installed. Some of the reviews state that the opening for the front facing camera is really small and causes some glare or something.

How is the front facing camera after this is installed. Some of the reviews state that the opening for the front facing camera is really small and causes some glare or something.
Mine seems to be working just fine. As long as your the camera cutout on the screen protector is aligned properly, you should be fine.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
Installed the zagg today and works great with fingerprints. I didn't even reregister and the funny thing is the fingerprint sensor works better with the protector on it.
I'd go for that but not at $50 (BB). And it's out of stock on their website, so no deals available. That's a total ripoff for a piece of glass that they make for 10 cents.

Last edited:

gonenb

Apr 16, 2011
I don't have a pixel yet, looking to buy, and I found this recommendation at some site, from google:
1636534661854.png

Attachments

• 1636534617089.png
    1636534617089.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 31

blushrts

Jul 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6
update, getting colder and air is getting drier here. I can feel my hands are dry. And the FP scanner is now almost unusable with the L K Pixel 6 "compatible" protector. I have to lick my thumb to get it to work. As long as it is moist it works great. As soon as my fingers are dry again, it stops and works maybe 2 out of 10 times.
I've been rubbing my nose to get a little oil on my fingers and this has helped a bunch. Using the LK protector as well on a Pixel 6.

Reactions: derausgewanderte

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone have any luck with getting a tempered glass screen protector that works with the fingerprint scanner?

I have read several threads about this. Some suggest adding same finger twice. Some suggest increasing sensitivity of the screen, and others suggest making sure you are up to date. None of this has worked for me. It is double disappointing for me as I have large thumbs and never could seem to get a thumb unlock to work until the 6. Once I added the screen protector, the phone can not recognize the finger print, even though I added it several times.

I purchased this one https://www.amazon.com/Milomdoi-Goo...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    It claims to work with finger print scanner. I followed their instructions, but no luck so far.
    Received my Zagg screen protector before any of the others. Installed. Finger print scanner works fine with Zagg screen protector and my Pixel 6.

Not excited about the Zagg case as it does not have much of a lip, but one battle at a time!
    I have the Zagg Invisible shield on mine and it works well with the fingerprint reader.
    Here is what I ordered:

I have the SuperShieldz TmGlss, added thumb once, index finger 3 times. turned up sensitivity. Thumb rarely works, finger works as well as my outgoing Sammy S9, which is acceptable.