Question Is there a way to get announcement of SMS sender?

Search This thread

beanbean50

Jul 9, 2008
London
I found a way to get the caller's name to be spoken -- but I guess there is no built-in way to get this to happen for a text message? I would be nice to know who is texting without having to look at my phone.
I found a way, but it's not built-in and I think you'll need root.

I installed 'text to speech' from the play store, typed in 'messge from .........' saved all the names I wanted and transfered them to system/media/audio/notifications/sound theme/calm (root needed?)

Then chose their name as the ringtone, works in whatsapp aswell.

Reactions: Robson

Robson

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
i did something somewhat related as well. i went into a text to speech website and created both a ringtone and an sms tone for specific contacts only. so say if i'm driving and the sound comes "liam calling" or ä message tone of "sms from liam", that will be from my son which i need to address as it might be urgent. but if the generic tone "sms" or my usual ringtone comes up, i don't address it right away. i went one step further for the other notifications. i created ones for teams, messenger, office email etc.. so say when the tone "front door" sounds, this is the camera in front detecting a person.

Last edited:
Reactions: beanbean50

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found a way to get the caller's name to be spoken -- but I guess there is no built-in way to get this to happen for a text message? I would be nice to know who is texting without having to look at my phone.
    I found a way, but it's not built-in and I think you'll need root.

I installed 'text to speech' from the play store, typed in 'messge from .........' saved all the names I wanted and transfered them to system/media/audio/notifications/sound theme/calm (root needed?)

Then chose their name as the ringtone, works in whatsapp aswell.
    i did something somewhat related as well. i went into a text to speech website and created both a ringtone and an sms tone for specific contacts only. so say if i'm driving and the sound comes "liam calling" or ä message tone of "sms from liam", that will be from my son which i need to address as it might be urgent. but if the generic tone "sms" or my usual ringtone comes up, i don't address it right away. i went one step further for the other notifications. i created ones for teams, messenger, office email etc.. so say when the tone "front door" sounds, this is the camera in front detecting a person.