Is there a way to install TWRP & Magisk on Fire HD 8 (7th Gen)?

Search This thread

Ralphort

Dec 21, 2016
ralphort.net
Got a Fire HD 8 (7th Gen) over a month ago. Using it mainly for watching Netflix & Sling TV shows. But there's one thing I like to be able to do with the tab - using it for PS4 remote play as it needs a custom recovery image & Magisk to install a Sony app enabler. Is there a way to install TWRP & Magisk on Fire HD 8?

Last edited:

Ralphort

Dec 21, 2016
ralphort.net
Unfortunately no. There is no root for any tablet above 5.3.2.1. Even with root, the bootloader is locked so we don't have the proper .img files for it.

I see. Actually tried getting a boot.img dump copy using ADB shell commands earlier but the Fire tab gets stucked on FASTBOOT... & won't go any further. No way for me to install no root Magisk without a boot.img copy.

Last edited:
I see. Actually tried getting a boot.img copy earlier but the Fire tab gets stucked on FASTBOOT... & won't go any further.

Try making sure you have drivers installed correctly and up to date. You can go to the Android Studio website to download the program in full, or just the ADB SDK standalone. I recommend the full download if you have the space. It will make sure all is up-to-date and if not, update it, including fastboot and other items. With that said, you won't get much bootloader information. A lot of the commands come back as Cannot perform this operation on a locked device. it will sometimes tell you success, though not really. My phone did that before I unlocked the bootloader for 25 bucks. But if you're like me, you don't give up easily. I love these devices. I have a Fire 7 too, and rooted. Love it more than the 8 now.

f3bandit

Jul 18, 2011
Myakka City
I see. Actually tried getting a boot.img dump copy using ADB shell commands earlier but the Fire tab gets stucked on FASTBOOT... & won't go any further. No way for me to install no root Magisk without a boot.img copy.

couldn't you just dump the boot image from the firmware off amazons site?!? pretty sure you can! idk about magisk flashing it tho?
just use 7zip to extract the files. boot image is labeled and right in the root of the package...

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

You can also use flashify to back up the boot image and recovery. I just tested it and it works fine.

f3bandit

Jul 18, 2011
Myakka City
couldn't you just dump the boot image from the firmware off amazons site?!? pretty sure you can! idk about magisk flashing it tho?
just use 7zip to extract the files. boot image is labeled and right in the root of the package...

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

You can also use flashify to back up the boot image and recovery. I just tested it and it works fine.
I just texted it, magisk patches and flashes the boot.img fine. But it results in a boot loop.

Reactions: obvious

Supersonic27543

Nov 14, 2016
But if the boot.img does its job before going into bootloop, that's certainly great. :D Can you try booting into stock boot.img? I just want to root this awesome piece of hardware.

noirtech

Feb 28, 2018
Hey everyone,

New member here, and just bought a Kindle Fire 7 (7th gen, 2017).
I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on whether it's possible to install either Lineage OS or CM onto this model. If not, are there any equivalent alternatives I could install with as little bloatware as possible and for best performance?

Thanks

Supersonic27543

Nov 14, 2016
Hey everyone,

New member here, and just bought a Kindle Fire 7 (7th gen, 2017).
I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on whether it's possible to install either Lineage OS or CM onto this model. If not, are there any equivalent alternatives I could install with as little bloatware as possible and for best performance?

Thanks

Hi, nope you can't install any thing. There's not even root available for your device, sadly, TWRP, unlocked bootloader, and custom ROMs out of the story. :(

noirtech

Feb 28, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to use it as is for now.

I've also tried the Bloatware removal guide (can't post links yet) using the 'adb shell pm uninstall..' commands, but none of the them seem to work. They all return 'Failure [DELETE_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR]' apart from the one for removing ads from the lock screen (which returns Successful but doesn't work). So guessing that this isn't possible either on this model.

Supersonic27543

Nov 14, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to use it as is for now.

I've also tried the Bloatware removal guide (can't post links yet) using the 'adb shell pm uninstall..' commands, but none of the them seem to work. They all return 'Failure [DELETE_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR]' apart from the one for removing ads from the lock screen (which returns Successful but doesn't work). So guessing that this isn't possible either on this model.

Depends on your OS version. If it is > 5.4.0.0 then you get the error. It is not possible to downgrade below, trying will permanently and unrecoverably brick the device. :crying:

Very little .. Why?

Enviado desde mi Mi A2 mediante Tapatalk

We need to compile the mtfastboot binary/exe. I've never used it before and am failing miserably. Because if there are any actual OEM keys for these things, they weren't made by Amazon. https://github.com/Goayandi/vendor_...p-7.0/bootloader/lk/target/wisky8176_tb_n/inc The oemkey.h file there actually contains the public key of the on device private key. I've looked at a few other chipsets through Google and several of them even have the same code. What are the odds this would be the key to this castle?

However I am not failing on a rim build this time! I finally managed to get AOSP to build (still is). This is the first time I ever got this far without it all crashing beyond repair.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Very little .. Why?

Enviado desde mi Mi A2 mediante Tapatalk

We need to compile the mtfastboot binary/exe. I've never used it before and am failing miserably. Because if there are any actual OEM keys for these things, they weren't made by Amazon. https://github.com/Goayandi/vendor_...p-7.0/bootloader/lk/target/wisky8176_tb_n/inc The oemkey.h file there actually contains the public key of the on device private key. I've looked at a few other chipsets through Google and several of them even have the same code. What are the odds this would be the key to this castle?

However I am not failing on a rim build this time! I finally managed to get AOSP to build (still is). This is the first time I ever got this far without it all crashing beyond repair.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

I just texted it, magisk patches and flashes the boot.img fine. But it results in a boot loop.
    Now that we have root is there a TWRP file available for fire 8 7th gen?