• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Is there a way to manipulate an Android Phone with broken touchscreen?

Search This thread

BasilSkrnk

Oct 27, 2017
Hello folks,
I have few different Android phones with broken touch screens
  • one was sit on;
  • another was liquid damaged, but the rest works;
  • and the third one is Nexus 4, ha!
I don’t want just to throw them away, and nobody will ever buy them even for parts, those are pretty obsolete.
Can I manipulate the phones somehow?
  • Say, adb interface.
  • or a kind of SSH, if that’s possible.
  • or bluetooth keyboard or trackpad; I have those from Apple, I tried at least keyboard with Android 7 and 8, and it works wonderfully.
  • or maybe another Android phone.
The phones are on stock firmwares, but I can try to reflash any different, if that’s possible with no touch screen working. Android 2.3, Android 4.4, Android 7.1.2, if that makes a difference.
Of course, I don’t need to use them on my daily basis. Maybe I’ll find them some other ways of serving, since Android has Linux kernel. E.g. make a FTP on one of the phones (it has a lot of free space), or playing with a web server there, or anything else.

Atifbaig786

Jul 16, 2017
Hello folks,
  • one was sit on;
I don’t want just to throw them away, and nobody will ever buy them even for parts, those are pretty obsolete.
  • Say, adb interface.
  • or bluetooth keyboard or trackpad; I have those from Apple, I tried at least keyboard with Android 7 and 8, and it works wonderfully.
The phones are on stock firmwares, but I can try to reflash any different, if that’s possible with no touch screen working. Android 2.3, Android 4.4, Android 7.1.2, if that makes a difference.
Of course, I don’t need to use them on my daily basis. Maybe I’ll find them some other ways of serving, since Android has Linux kernel. E.g. make a FTP on one of the phones (it has a lot of free space), or playing with a web server there, or anything else.
Thanks to linux you can.You can do two things
1-buy a mouse and use it full time
2-Install Halium or Ubuntu or linux natively on it and run it like however you want ssh telnet you name it.Works well with an external keyboard and a mouse.Even a Bluetooth mouse.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: BasilSkrnk

BasilSkrnk

Oct 27, 2017
2-Install Halium or Ubuntu or linux natively on it and run it like however you want ssh telnet you name it.Works well with an external keyboard and a mouse.Even a Bluetooth mouse.

Can you help me to come to this point? I don't understand how to do that: what should I start with? Halium documentation first?

According to their First steps section:
While 1GB of RAM is sufficient to start the OS, it is recommended to have greater than 2GB to have a good end user experience.

Most of my devices (Nexus 4 is an exception) have 512 MB of RAM. Maybe there is a way of using them as they are, with the Android they have, manipulating with bluetooth mouse and keyboard?

Atifbaig786

Jul 16, 2017
Can you help me to come to this point? I don't understand how to do that: what should I start with? Halium documentation first?

Most of my devices (Nexus 4 is an exception) have 512 MB of RAM. Maybe there is a way of using them as they are, with the Android they have, manipulating with bluetooth mouse and keyboard?
You can see if your device is listed.If it isn't well then go for it.Also you can search "install debian natively on android" and the search hits you with a linux installation natively on android.That I have tried on A Note 3 and worked without touching recovery or other partitions.Halium is just Ljnux with KDE plasma on top(A ****ty one)

BasilSkrnk

Oct 27, 2017
You can see if your device is listed.If it isn't well then go for it.Also you can search "install debian natively on android" and the search hits you with a linux installation natively on android.That I have tried on A Note 3 and worked without touching recovery or other partitions.Halium is just Ljnux with KDE plasma on top(A ****ty one)

Thanks! I'll search through it. But I think it's worth it only with Nexus 4, as it's still kicking in some forms.

Other phones are useless for that, and all I'm looking for them either there's a way of making them useful, or they’d better to go to a trash.

Atifbaig786

Jul 16, 2017
Thanks! I'll search through it. But I think it's worth it only with Nexus 4, as it's still kicking in some forms.

Other phones are useless for that, and all I'm looking for them either there's a way of making them useful, or they’d better to go to a trash.
And to just clarify that.I still use the Note 3 for things.Like a paperweight and ....Other things like keeping my papers from flying I think the installation worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello folks,
    • one was sit on;
    • Say, adb interface.

And to just clarify that.I still use the Note 3 for things.Like a paperweight and ....Other things like keeping my papers from flying I think the installation worked.