• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Is there a way to verify battery capacity to verify battery replacement?

Search This thread

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
With the announcement of the 1-year extended warranty, I went to go replace my battery today at ubreakifix. When I picked it up, the employee gave me the feeling they didn't actually work on my phone but billed Google for the work. Besides the fact that the things he said made me feel like they didn't actually work on it, I noticed when I picked it up the battery was within a few % of when I dropped it off. I'm trying to see if there's a way to check capacity or anything of that sort I can do to verify that my battery was or was not actually replaced.

I appreciate any help.

Reactions: FoneWatcher

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Your SOT should noticably longer.
New batteries typically have around a 50% charge on them.
It was around 47% when I picked it up but I dropped it off at 53% which I thought was odd. That's good to know the range is correct for a new battery though. The guy was sketchy and made several comments that made me think he didn't actually touch it. I was hoping to check capacity or something to verify the change but I'll use it tomorrow and see how the battery life compares. If I'm still having battery issues, I just wanted to have concrete proof if I went back. He made a point to say "if it's still acting up then you'll just have to call Google and have the device replaced instead".

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It was around 47% when I picked it up but I dropped it off at 53% which I thought was odd. That's good to know the range is correct for a new battery though. The guy was sketchy and made several comments that made me think he didn't actually touch it. I was hoping to check capacity or something to verify the change but I'll use it tomorrow and see how the battery life compares. If I'm still having battery issues, I just wanted to have concrete proof if I went back. He made a point to say "if it's still acting up then you'll just have to call Google and have the device replaced instead".
I've seen a lot of bad techs. You could always take it to a 3rd party repair if it turns out the battery is still defective.
Maybe he's just shifty acting in appearance only.

Reactions: uoY_redruM

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I've seen a lot of bad techs. You could always take it to a 3rd party repair if it turns out the battery is still defective.
Yeah hopefully he was just awkward or something lol. I'll see how it plays out the next few days. Hopefully he replaced it. I plan on buying the Pixel 6 Pro but it would be nice for this to hold off until that comes out.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
With the announcement of the 1-year extended warranty, I went to go replace my battery today at ubreakifix. When I picked it up, the employee gave me the feeling they didn't actually work on my phone but billed Google for the work. Besides the fact that the things he said made me feel like they didn't actually work on it, I noticed when I picked it up the battery was within a few % of when I dropped it off. I'm trying to see if there's a way to check capacity or anything of that sort I can do to verify that my battery was or was not actually replaced.

I appreciate any help.
You can use AccuBattery to check estimated battery capacity. You'll have to go through a few charge cycles to get an accurate estimation.

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
You can use AccuBattery to check estimated battery capacity. You'll have to go through a few charge cycles to get an accurate estimation.
I might give that a try as well. I heard that just estimates but I guess that's better than not having any idea at all. I'm doing the first full charge since I got it so I'll download AccuBattery and run it the next couple days. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I might give that a try as well. I heard that just estimates but I guess that's better than not having any idea at all. I'm doing the first full charge since I got it so I'll download AccuBattery and run it the next couple days. Thanks for the suggestion.
It's total battery capacity estimates are not accurate. If you had been using it before it's SOT/% history would be useful.
I use it track my battery usage % vs SOT to spot misbehavior.

It's charging time/% history is also useful for monitoring charging. Erratic fast charging is one of the signs of a battery failure.

Reactions: uoY_redruM

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It can also be pretty accurate, in my experience.
It's history is but the actual mAh measurement isn't.
With no calibrated reference of the voltage to mAh ratio it can only do so much. I believe it's measuring voltage drop and calculating current and mAh from that instead of voltage×current.

Whatever the reason(s) it's absolute battery capacity isn't accurate.
I maybe mistaken but even though some power controller chips have current sensing capabilities, Android doesn't use that readout or make it available to any apks.
An Android shortcoming.
A Developer here maybe could or has shed light on this before.

Edit: some brands/models can apparently:
No information on Samsung models that I could easily find.

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
It's history is but the actual mAh measurement isn't.
With no calibrated reference of the voltage to mAh ratio it can only do so much. I believe it's measuring voltage drop and calculating current and mAh from that instead of voltage×current.

Whatever the reason(s) it's absolute battery capacity isn't accurate.
I maybe mistaken but even though some power controller chips have current sensing capabilities, Android doesn't use that readout or make it available to any apks.
An Android shortcoming.
A Developer here maybe could or has shed light on this before.
Like I said, I have found it accurate enough in my experience. New phone is around 100% estimated capacity. Year later, 90% or so. Year later 85% or so. Done this with several phones.

Not here to debate or argue about it. If the OP doesn't want to use it, they don't have to.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Like I said, I have found it accurate enough in my experience. New phone is around 100% estimated capacity. Year later, 90% or so. Year later 85% or so. Done this with several phones.

Not here to debate or argue about it. If the OP doesn't want to use it, they don't have to.
That 10% is from the original OEM battery and the replacement. Android it's self lists it at 4100 when it should be 4300 new. Accubattery uses the Android figure unless you change that value.

He'll get a good enough idea if the phone last longer during usage. It should be a noticable improvement... and I hope it is.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
That 10% is from the original OEM battery and the replacement. Android it's self lists it at 4100 when it should be 4300 new. Accubattery uses the Android figure unless you change that value.

He'll get a good enough idea if the phone last longer during usage. It should be a noticable improvement... and I hope it is.
The battery capacity for this phone is 3,700. Like I said, I'm not here to argue or debate it. You do what you want and the OP will do what they want. So please stop quoting me. Let it go...

• Haha

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Just reporting back that it was definitely changed. I charged it before bed and decided not to put it in the charger over night to see what happened. I woke up and it was still at 99%.

It's been off the charger since 11pm yesterday, it's 8pm now and I still have 16%.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Just reporting back that it was definitely changed. I charged it before bed and decided not to put it in the charger over night to see what happened. I woke up and it was still at 99%.

It's been off the charger since 11pm yesterday, it's 8pm now and I still have 16%.
Good deal👍
Guess the tech just has a guilty face🤣

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010

Another way to check is with this online tool https://bathist.ef.lc/ Battery Historian. Make sure to charge your phone to full keep on the charger for a bit longer even after 100% If you can do it with the phone powered off that's even better. Turn the device back on take a bug report and upload it to the site. Then look for the "Coulomb charge" value and mouse over it. It will show you how much the device charged in Mah say for example you see 3650 then you divide it by the battery capacity for our device which is 3700. This means your battery health/capacity would be about 98.6%.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Another way to check is with this online tool https://bathist.ef.lc/ Battery Historian. Make sure to charge your phone to full keep on the charger for a bit longer even after 100% If you can do it with the phone powered off that's even better. Turn the device back on take a bug report and upload it to the site. Then look for the "Coulomb charge" value and mouse over it. It will show you how much the device charged in Mah say for example you see 3650 then you divide it by the battery capacity for our device which is 3700. This means your battery health/capacity would be about 98.6%.
Assuming that phone has accurate current sensing hardware and it's readout is available. All Androids report voltage relatively accurately... current not as much so.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I appreciate any help.

I appreciate any help.