• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Is there an APP to swap touchpad controls to dpad?

Search This thread

jajabinx35

Aug 24, 2011
Some games I don't enjoy playing on the touchpad and I think it would be better on the dpad. Is there an app out there that can change the mapping?

Thanks.

DeanBoro

Dec 11, 2010
Posts like these.....

Unless you're an Android dev, you are not qualified to post something like this.

Its nothing against you but this forum seems to have an epidemic of "Someone HAS to be able to do this" , well no its just not that simple.

Less of the disrespect. He has done more for this community than you ever have. I class him as a developer so quit your crap. For all you know he could work for Google and be a developer for Android. You do not know everyone's life.

And as for what he said IT IS POSSIBLE it just wont be easy!

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Less of the disrespect. He has done more for this community than you ever have. I class him as a developer so quit your crap. For all you know he could work for Google and be a developer for Android. You do not know everyone's life.

Cut the attitude pal. You don't know squat about what I've done for anyone, nor do you know anything of what he does as you just said. I don't care about your opinion or how you class him. While I wouldn't classify myself as a dev (for this device) I do post quite a bit here and try to help (except when people continue to push out stupidity). Point being though his contribution or mine has nothing to do with the point of my post.

My point was dev or not posts like that get taken on a run by this place. its why we have so many threads that won't die about how the PLAY is going to have Native PSP emulation and crap like that.

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Posts like these.....

Unless you're an Android dev, you are not qualified to post something like this.

Its nothing against you but this forum seems to have an epidemic of "Someone HAS to be able to do this" , well no its just not that simple.

THIS IS XDA IT'S ALL ABOUT THESE POSTS SO STFU

technically a Android dev is anyone who has created something for Android well I have created apps for Android although for personal use.

well I never said it was simple, I am creating a programme for windows and I decided I wanted to add a feature so I did. now I need to work out how to make it work. same principal.

-------------------------------------------
Fma965 - Forgottencoders.co.uk
Want to make me a banner? PM me

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net

nicely said. love these XDA tiffs ;)

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Cut the attitude pal. You don't know squat about what I've done

My point was dev or not posts like that get taken on a run by this place. its why we have so many threads that won't die about how the PLAY is going to have Native PSP emulation and crap like that.

sorry to triple post but taptalk don't play nice with quotes for me.

Don't tell deanboro to the cut the attitude when yours is clearly the same.

just go in a corner and rot. k we don't need your kind here.

DeanBoro

Dec 11, 2010

well said fma!

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Wow,

I will apologize and say my original post was a brash and I should have explained myself better, the second part of my reply to DeanBoro is what I really meant.

My point is the same, I've made android programs too, but have no idea what would go into trying this (I haven't taken a look at the SDK at all).

Posting "it could be done" with out some sort of backup is what I am pointing out. If you're gonna post something like that do some research. You said yourself you don't dev for this phone either so you don't know how. Otherwise as I said the dreamers will have it already working and 30 posts on it in a week. Look around this forum you know I am right.

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Wow,

I will apologize and say my original post was a brash and I should have explained myself better, the second part of my reply to DeanBoro is what I really meant.

My point is the same, I've made android programs too, but have no idea what would go into trying this (I haven't taken a look at the SDK at all).

Posting "it could be done" with out some sort of backup is what I am pointing out. If you're gonna post something like that do some research. You said yourself you don't dev for this phone either so you don't know how. Otherwise as I said the dreamers will have it already working and 30 posts on it in a week. Look around this forum you know I am right.

not to sure who this was directed at but. I will apologize to. sorry. I dev for this phone although only things I need like a App for my website or something. I didn't say I could or couldn't do it. But I did say it possible cause any one could see it is possible, a App could read and redirect movements however it would require skills and may not work in general use like gaming due to lag many apps already do this do this but not for touchpads. I don't. need to do research cause essentially it is possible.

----------------------------------------------

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
not to sure who this was directed at but. I will apologize to. sorry. I dev for this phone although only things I need like a App for my website or something. I didn't say I could or couldn't do it. But I did say it possible cause any one could see it is possible, a App could read and redirect movements however it would require skills and may not work in general use like gaming due to lag many apps already do this do this but not for touchpads. I don't. need to do research cause essentially it is possible.

----------------------------------------------

I was apologizing to you, and thank you.

I believe anything is possible with the right programming. Feasible on the other hand is a different story, and in this case it could be simple or something that just plain isn't worth the time you'd need to put in.

Just leaving an open ended "but it is possible" from someone such as yourself that has stature in this community can lead to what I said, which just leads to more and more useless posts here (not by you).

hatcyl

Nov 30, 2008
I was apologizing to you, and thank you.

I believe anything is possible with the right programming. Feasible on the other hand is a different story, and in this case it could be simple or something that just plain isn't worth the time you'd need to put in.

Just leaving an open ended "but it is possible" from someone such as yourself that has stature in this community can lead to what I said, which just leads to more and more useless posts here (not by you).

Awww, everyone made up!

Anyways...

It would be possible, just like it would be possible to redirect dpad to touchscreen.

You would need root.

All input/output goes through /dev/input/eventXX

You would make a service which reads from eventXX and when it receives something translate it and put it in eventYY.

The problem is that this is not part of the SDK, so what works for one device, will not work with another.

Or you can make your own IME (input method), that its part of the SDK. No root required.

This its how Change Shoulder Buttons and OnLive Helper work.

Sent from my R800x using XDA App

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Awww, everyone made up!

Anyways...

It would be possible, just like it would be possible to redirect dpad to touchscreen.

You would need root.

All input/output goes through /dev/input/eventXX

You would make a service which reads from eventXX and when it receives something translate it and put it in eventYY.

The problem is that this is not part of the SDK, so what works for one device, will not work with another.

Or you can make your own IME (input method), that its part of the SDK. No root required.

This its how Change Shoulder Buttons and OnLive Helper work.

Mind you as I said before I'm not experienced in programming with this phones SDK, but the "analog" touchpad controls basically mimic "analog" touchscreen inputs (I put analog in quotes because we all know its not really analog), but those controls operate differently than simple key inputs (such as the camera helper) that remaps a specific coordinate event input to a button.

I would think that the IME way would be the only way that this (in theory) could actually work. But that I would assume also depend on how the game in question handles inputs. As we have seen some games are far different than others.

Vladuu

Feb 10, 2011
Some games I don't enjoy playing on the touchpad and I think it would be better on the dpad. Is there an app out there that can change the mapping?

Thanks.

I would also love an app that could do this, i hate hate hate hate hate the touchpads in games!!! I bought my xperia to play games, but i can't play all of them like battlefield, deadspace and other because of the stupid touchpads. Worst thing ever. I would pay no matter the price for an app that could change from touchpads to dpads.

hatcyl

Nov 30, 2008
I would also love an app that could do this, i hate hate hate hate hate the touchpads in games!!! I bought my xperia to play games, but i can't play all of them like battlefield, deadspace and other because of the stupid touchpads. Worst thing ever. I would pay no matter the price for an app that could change from touchpads to dpads.

He he, if your want to make an advance payment of $100,000 I'll have it ready by the end if the week!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cut the attitude pal. You don't know squat about what I've done