• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Is there any issue backing up partitions from EDL, MSM resetting, unlocking bootloader, and flashing the backed up partitions?

Search This thread

humdogm

May 21, 2015
Original title: Looking for backup of super partition for T-Mobile variant
If anyone is still on the latest stock T-Mobile ROM and can back up their super partition from TWRP and send it to me, that would be great.

My bootloader is locked btw.
A few days ago I tried running the DSU Loader that is enabled in Developer Options.

When I received the notification to reboot into the Generic System Image, my phone booted to a qualcomm error screen, and then after rebooting again, it showed a screen that said "Your phone is corrupt. It can't be trusted and will not boot."
From research, it seems to have messed up the system partition, and using Qualcomm Product Support and Oneplus Phone Reset tools I can backup and write to the phone partitions directly. If someone with a T-Mobile Oneplus 9 and has a unmodified super partition could be so kind as to upload a backup of their super partition, I would greatly appreciate it.

You can upload to mega.nz, they give you 20GB on sign-up.

Last edited:

humdogm

May 21, 2015
Doubt anyone will provide a super partition of "Their" current data. Reason being why I mentioned using MSM. No offense to you,but,caution should be taken before flashing anything knowing the dangers of flashing. Not sure if anyone will provide it,but, I would recommend MSM.
Doing a flash on anything is solely the users mistake/error and owns responsibility.
Trust me. I've flashed and bricked at my own discretion and advise everyone to do the same with any type of flash.
My bootloader is locked. It shouldn't be possible for my device to end up like this.

I did not personally flash anything, it was DSU Loader in Developer Options. Also I can not flash anything, my bootloader is locked.

Also the super partition only contains system.img, system_ext.img, vendor.img, odm.img, and product.img.
Any user data is stored in the userdata partition.

humdogm

May 21, 2015
I'll see if I can extract and provide for you later. If worst comes to worst,just prepare to do a MSM restore
Oh I'm prepared for MSM restore, I've just been doing research to see if there is anyway around wiping userdata.
Thank you for your help.

I see you have a Oneplus 9 Pro, unless you happen to have a Oneplus 9 as well? I need the super partition for only Oneplus 9 non-pro Tmobile variant.

Part of the security are some of the properties found in build.prop in the super partition. For example, the build fingerprint needs to match exactly
com.android.system.build.fingerprint: "OnePlus/OnePlus9TMO/OnePlus9TMO:11/RKQ1.201105.002/2107151801:user/release-keys"
I assume on the pro it would have different build fingerprint?

TheKnux

Sep 28, 2011
Akron
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
I ended up in an EDL loop when trying to convert my second OP9. I think I took a full backup of the T-Mobile firmware before I set it up. When I check, I'll let you know if I have a super backup.

humdogm

May 21, 2015
I think I've figured something out.

I can back up all the partitions from EDL mode using this EDL tool, and then I can MSM reset, unlock the bootloader, and then flash my backed up partitions through fastboot. Anyone know of any reasons why this wouldn't work?

The only issue I can think of is if there are encryption keys resident in some place other than the UFS storage and they get cleared by MSM reset.

Last edited:

humdogm

May 21, 2015
Yup, looks like the keystore partition I backed up is all zeros, might just be an unused partition though

Last edited: