Is there any soak test yet?

Search This thread

acejavelin

Recognized Contributor
Sep 3, 2009
Lincoln, ND
Honestly, I expected by now to have heard something, anything really, about a MFN beta or soak test for Oreo... but nothing, it's been pure crickets. I have little hope of Oreo being seen "soon".

ugupta100

Jun 28, 2015
Honestly, I expected by now to have heard something, anything really, about a MFN beta or soak test for Oreo... but nothing, it's been pure crickets. I have little hope of Oreo being seen "soon".

I sometimes fear they will ditch g5plus too like moto g4.
I bought this device because of promised oreo update. And hoped treble would be possible with some tricks.
When i used moto e 1st gen i received soak test mail in mid Feb after a survey in Jan. Indian received soak test after brazil.

There has been no survey yet! Man i am sad!

M1810

Jul 6, 2017
Santa Fe
I sometimes fear they will ditch g5plus too like moto g4.
I bought this device because of promised oreo update. And hoped treble would be possible with some tricks.
When i used moto e 1st gen i received soak test mail in mid Feb after a survey in Jan. Indian received soak test after brazil.

There has been no survey yet! Man i am sad!

They won't ditch our device.. if they promised oreo for the G4 plus it is guaranteed that we will receive it before it.
I'm being optimist and guessing that a hidden soak test is happening right now (a lenovo mod said that motorola was working ln oreo for the G5+, i guess he means in soak tests) and that in april we'll receive oreo.
That's my last stop, in may i'll be flashing 8.1.0 if nothing happens..
I mean, i left a Nokia phone at a nice price for this device, because i always loved motorola.. guess i'm done now, wether we receive oreo or not..

Smeagal192

Jan 25, 2016
Cheshire
Only if your battery lasts out, then no reason for them to supply update, just wondering from the manufacture's point of view, might seem cynical but they only make money out of sales, not update's.

ps works for every manufacture, simple science, make product, produce money

acejavelin

Recognized Contributor
Sep 3, 2009
Lincoln, ND
They won't ditch our device.. if they promised oreo for the G4 plus it is guaranteed that we will receive it before it.
I'm being optimist and guessing that a hidden soak test is happening right now (a lenovo mod said that motorola was working ln oreo for the G5+, i guess he means in soak tests) and that in april we'll receive oreo.
That's my last stop, in may i'll be flashing 8.1.0 if nothing happens..
I mean, i left a Nokia phone at a nice price for this device, because i always loved motorola.. guess i'm done now, wether we receive oreo or not..
Lol... Keep your delusions. There made no "promise", only the normal blog statement back in September. If they said the G4 Plus would get it as well there is nothing saying the G5 has to get it first.

"Working on it" dies not equate necssarily to a hidden soak test, could just be on the dev teams daily morning meeting to do list. Soak test procedures are pretty well defined. About 30 days prior to beginning of soak test, a survey goes out to a group of MFN users, about 50% of that group will be selected for it. We almost always hear about both of these steps in the forums and on news sites, and so far nothing. The surveys usually prompt questions in the forums, and the initial beta releases to members of the group usually prompt release rumors even by Android news organizations.

Then a 30-45 day trial starts, if all goes well about 30 days after the test ends, the update is released. If it doesn't go well, it goes back to dev team and starts over with the same group. This can take a while, for the Moto X Pure it took almost a full year with Surveys and beta group selection beginning in Feb 2017 and the final Nougat roll-out completing in January this year.

I honestly do not expect to see Oreo until mid to end of Summer season at the earliest, but surprises happen.

Last edited:

M1810

Jul 6, 2017
Santa Fe
Lol... Keep your delusions. There made no "promise", only the normal blog statement back in September. If they said the G4 Plus would get it as well there is nothing saying the G5 has to get it first.

"Working on it" dies not equate necssarily to a hidden soak test, could just be on the dev teams daily morning meeting to do list. Soak test procedures are pretty well defined. About 30 days prior to beginning of soak test, a survey goes out to a group of MFN users, about 50% of that group will be selected for it. We almost always hear about both of these steps in the forums and on news sites, and so far nothing. The surveys usually prompt questions in the forums, and the initial beta releases to members of the group usually prompt release rumors even by Android news organizations.

Then a 30-45 day trial starts, if all goes well about 30 days after the test ends, the update is released. If it doesn't go well, it goes back to dev team and starts over with the same group. This can take a while, for the Moto X Pure it took almost a full year with Surveys and beta group selection beginning in Feb 2017 and the final Nougat roll-out completing in January this year.

I honestly do not expect to see Oreo until mid to end of Summer season at the earliest, but surprises happen.

The G4 plus was promised to get oreo, you can see on their official blog at the very end
And they said it will come later because it was not on their original agenda (like the G5+ was), so i'm right about the G5+ getting it first

acejavelin

Recognized Contributor
Sep 3, 2009
Lincoln, ND
The G4 plus was promised to get oreo, you can see on their official blog at the very end
And they said it will come later because it was not on their original agenda (like the G5+ was), so i'm right about the G5+ getting it first
Motorola's history here makes it hard to say their blog posts, the only "official" statements, are a promise, but I concede that they did actually use that term regarding the G4 Plus.

https://blog.motorola.com/2017/09/14/say-hello-android-oreo/

Their exact wording for the release timing was:

But it’s important to us we keep our promises, so in addition to the N upgrade it has already received, we will be upgrading moto g4 Plus to Android O. Because this is an unplanned upgrade, it will take some time to fit into our schedule, we’ll update our software upgrade page when we have more info.

Although common sense says this means it's on the bottom of the pile in regards to getting the update, there is nothing that says it won't get it's update before any or all of the other devices.

Last edited:

dollarpapa

Mar 13, 2018
It's Lenovo. They promise all kinds of things, and wait months until everyone else moved on or forgot about it and then they ditch the phone support, show a new phone to buy, same promises, only to be dumped the same way. I won't even think G5plus gets anything, I mean they still haven't updated the Z line and they are now ditching the X line. Who knows, maybe they gonna ditch the G or the Z next along with the promised updates and just tell you to buy a newer phone.
I wouldn't bet a penny on their words.

psychopac

Sep 12, 2012
New Delhi
It's Lenovo. They promise all kinds of things, and wait months until everyone else moved on or forgot about it and then they ditch the phone support, show a new phone to buy, same promises, only to be dumped the same way. I won't even think G5plus gets anything, I mean they still haven't updated the Z line and they are now ditching the X line. Who knows, maybe they gonna ditch the G or the Z next along with the promised updates and just tell you to buy a newer phone.
I wouldn't bet a penny on their words.
You're wrong about the Z lineup. They are running Oreo soak tests for Z series

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can see now all the Z series and X series got Oreo.
    Next is G series.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone