Is there any way to root the Xiaomi Mi Box S? (Any info at all please?)

Search This thread
ahh, there are ways around the launcher not being replicable (like launch on boot and app that hijack the launcher) but tbh the android TV UI is beautiful, i guarantee you will come to like it if your concerned about the UI
OK Thanks for that, yeah I've use things like ftvlaunchx (newer launcher hijack) before. I bought this box accidently but I suppose I can use it as a legit device for the living room as every other device I have is rooted and tweaked to the maximum.
But I have my eye on the ugoos AM6 Pro S922XJ. Apologies for drifting off topic mods.
But as the devices get newer and Android progresses its getting way harder to obtain even minimal root.

amityr

Mar 11, 2007
Tel Aviv
www.amityfamily.com
Hello Everyone,

I have got for holidays from my wife Xiaomi mi box 4s pro (MDZ26AA) unit from my Wife, but unfortunately, it is only for the Asia region.

In the specification of this unit stays to have Android 9.0, in my point of view I don't see any Android OS on this unit.
I don't have any experience using Xiaomi devices maybe I wrong.

In settings (about) of this unit only stay MUI OS 2.4.10
the only thing I managed to do is changed the language only in the settings.
Frontpage is still in the Chinese language.
My wish is to change the completely language on English and install the Google Play store.

If anybody can help me, I would be grateful.
I am on the same boat.
willing to loose the hw though, as it is not usable now...

amityr

Mar 11, 2007
Tel Aviv
www.amityfamily.com
No!!! Don't even attempt it, the mibox s has a locked bootloader, if you root (or attempt) it will nullify the drm, wide vine and Google certification and the box will probably not work properly, if it ever works at all.

You have been warned
So what do you suggest ?
how can i get it to be a new Android TV 9 clean stock (without the extra Xiaomi added to it?)

So what do you suggest ?
how can i get it to be a new Android TV 9 clean stock (without the extra Xiaomi added to it?)
My mibox s is android 9 upgraded from Android 8.1.
I don't know how you can fix it, youll probably find this aidans rom is for xiaomis earlier model

Attachments

• 16132493090693186689839171023593.jpg
    16132493090693186689839171023593.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 16132494083412318075892452151809.jpg
    16132494083412318075892452151809.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 150

bigtalker

May 20, 2007
No!!! Don't even attempt it, the mibox s has a locked bootloader, if you root (or attempt) it will nullify the drm, wide vine and Google certification and the box will probably not work properly, if it ever works at all.

You have been warned
Your reply fails to acknowledge the Xiaomi 4S Pro??? ( MDZ26AA )owned by the poster is NEVER going to accept Aidan's rom, nor any other rom except for the odd one designed for this China market specific device.

This is about the furthest device from the venerable, official AndroidTV, internationally available MiBox S (MDZ22-AB).

bigtalker

May 20, 2007
So what do you suggest ?
how can i get it to be a new Android MDZ26AA TV SOC and should not be entioned in this forum anyway.

About the best you can do is give it partial English in some menus.

You may be better served by perusing Xiami's own forums where you may have more luck.

As it stands, you are at a dead end with a doorstopper device. Learn to live with its limitations and pursue your questions somewhere else.

You will NOT get any meaningful feedback beyond this.....

Indeed true 😁many a dead box , it would make sense to buy a cheap box to experiment with lots out there well up to the job
Yeah, I've played with them all, I settled for the ugoos am6 plus, without going off topic. The mibox mdz - 22 - AB I have I just changed the launcher to la modded eanback and use it as a backup device.
Without unlocked bootloader there's not much else to do.

Regards

rypz79

Apr 27, 2013
Ramat-Gan
Hi,

MiBox4 v9.
Android security patch level 5 Jan 2021.
I just need to get a string from an app using cheatDroid so if it involves formatting the data partition it's not good for me.

Any suggestions will be gladly welcomed
TNX

icjr.primary

Jan 11, 2022
By using various tools on windows you can modify a boot image with magical on pc then use a logic tools to change boot and recovery partitions after upgraded with magisk but that’s the farthest I’ve gotten so far

Mary1989

Feb 9, 2020
No, my question was whether it is absolutely necessary. I don't have a Google account and don't want to create one.

I only use apps from F-Droid, Playstore is mostly malware.

Malware from Playstore? I doubt it buddy.
A Google account isn't mandatory but the device is Google certified by google for Android TV.... so you have the wrong box if you don't want things like big brother in your network.

OFC You can adb push Aurora store or FDroid app to the device or download it from a browser.

Hopefully that answers your question

Regarss

Reactions: Mary1989

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got a Xiaomi Mi Box S
    https://www.mi.com/us/mi-box-s/

I can't find any real info for rooting it or the Mi Box 4 (In the about box it's listed as a MiBox4 under the Model heading)

It's running Android 8.1 (patch 5-oct2018)
    Build OPM1.171019.011.430

I have enabled USB debugging, and have ADB and Fastboot working via a male-to-male USB cable.

That's about it really!!

I only really want to disable some of the background apps really...

Does anyone have any info on how to root this box (if possible... I read that it might have a locked bootloader...)

Actually any info on how to backup this box via TWRP would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Curious to know about this as well. I'm having trouble with basic functions like pairing an 8bitDo controller via bluetooth.
    Hello, I have a box s and I'm trying to figure out where to find the drivers because I can not recognize the connection to the PC, around the network I did not find threads for this model apart here.ring for any help
    Hello, I have a box s and I'm trying to figure out where to find the drivers because I can not recognize the connection to the PC, around the network I did not find threads for this model apart here.ring for any help

I not sure which drivers I used because my Win10 just it picked up without any issues.

The previous android box I had flashed was a H96+ Pro and I used a universal driver install package, I downloaded a couple of different ones... Unfortunately I'm not sure which was the successful one.. and I have subsequently deleted the install files :(.. sorry...

I can access adb during normal operation (with adb debugging turned on) and I can access fastboot with the fastboot command.

I cannot adb into recovery despite selecting adb sideload... It simply doesn't show up in device manager...

Other than there is not much more I can tell you about this box

I believe that video is for the upgrade of a Mi Box 3 from 6.0 to 8.0, not sure that it can help in any way...

I guess we have to keep hunting... :)
    No root possible due to locked bootloader and lack of private key

You can disable apps from /settings/apps

Thanks for the info... I suspected as much :(

I have managed to disable some apps - but not all of the ones I wanted.. Is there any way to force disable apps (or uninstall) on an unrooted OS?. I have tried the "pm uninstall --user 0 "xxx.apk"" and this doesn't appear to work

Thx