Question Is there any way to turn off this Camera shutter sound? I ended up getting a pixel from Japan, any way to convert this to the global version??

Search This thread

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
The .037 is the one with the fingerprint sensor update so I don't think it's a bad idea to update, however, I'm not familiar with how hardware from different regions are differentiated so the OTA may not play well with your hardware if it is intended for different regions.

It may be best to research independently or wait for a more informed person to chime in.

aymuhamm

Nov 21, 2021
The .037 is the one with the fingerprint sensor update so I don't think it's a bad idea to update, however, I'm not familiar with how hardware from different regions are differentiated so the OTA may not play well with your hardware if it is intended for different regions.

It may be best to research independently or wait for a more informed person to chime in.
Well none of the updates seem to be differentiated by region just by carrier. Might make another thread for the OTA question

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
Sorry, I was assuming that flashing the OTA would be a long-shot and should have mentioned that.

aymuhamm

Nov 21, 2021
Yeah, I'm assuming there is some sort of region flag for Japan as it's required that phone cameras make a noise there. You'd have to find a way to change the flag I'm assuming.
yep read a thread this guy changed his SKU to the global SKU and that did the trick.

This is what he said:
"Got my Japan Pixel 6 today. Turns out the SKU info is stored in devinfo partition. Replace the original "GR1YH" with global SKU "GB7N6"..."

Have asked him how he did it, but hasn't responded yet...so will see what happens

Darthapple

Nov 2, 2021
Google Pixel 6
You have to change the sku... It's a requirement for the shutter sound in Japan. So you have to basically truck the phone into thinking it's not from Japan..nothing else will work.. if you root you might be able to do that

Sine.

wind99

Aug 15, 2008
Just want to confirm that changing Model ID to outside Japan make it work.
You need to unlock, root your phone, extract devinfo partition, replace the model id using hex editor, and re-flash (using dd command) to devinfo partition.

cdmport

Aug 19, 2014
Easier way
You can download, and apply it from magisk manager.
This one also remove screenshot sound.
Yes you need unlock and root your phone first,

aymuhamm

Nov 21, 2021

norman00037

Nov 17, 2021
Google Pixel 6
Easier way
You can download, and apply it from magisk manager.
This one also remove screenshot sound.
Yes you need unlock and root your phone first,
Confirm this works on Pixel 6. Modifying Product code only works when you are not using Japan simcard