Question Is there anybody know how to set global 4K resolution on xperia 1 iv?

Search This thread

ov_darkness

Dec 12, 2008
Warsaw
I just never see it enable 4K even I m viewing images with gallery app.
So I just want to force it for better experience.
I'm not convinced, if this would be visible. Probably depends on your visual acuity.
Mine is not the best, and for the life of me I can't see the difference between 1440p and 1080p on such a small screen.

KukusKufy

Jun 13, 2022
I'm not convinced, if this would be visible. Probably depends on your visual acuity.
Mine is not the best, and for the life of me I can't see the difference between 1440p and 1080p on such a small screen.
There IS it, I ve paid for it, and I WANT it.
And experience will be different for me when viewing large size image in 1:1 scale.

It is just like refresh rate, since there r people cannot get the difference between 120hz and 60hz(or lower). But you cannot just disable higher refresh rate FOREVER just because there r some people cannot distingurish.

Last edited:

Hildr

May 2, 2017
Is there any merit to doing that?
I'm middle aged and with not-so-good eyesight, but fhd for me is more than enough.
It's also to remove unnecessary downscale/upscale when watching a 4k movie. Since most app view the screen as a QHD one, VLC for example, will render a 4k video as a QHD one by downscaling it, then the phone will upscale it back to 4K.
Sure you will probably not see a lot of difference with native 4k as the upscaling technology from Sony is pretty good and you still have the 4K screen resolution giving extra sharpness.

Also, what some people seems to forget, is that the image displayed will always be 4K on this screen, a FHD image will be upscaled to 4K by the phone, and the higher pixel density make it far better than the same FHD content on a QHD screen especially for AMOLED screen that are somewhat blurry on the edge due to the subpixels arrangement.

This being said, you can put the screen in native resolution all the time, just going in the developper option and setting the screen minimal width to 1644pixels to match the 1644*3840 pixel resolution. Doing this, VLC that I tried perfectly render a movie in 4K, but your overall UI is ****ed up and you can barely use the phone. That's not what is wanted. Sony is just boring us for 4 generation with its 4k white list apps. I don't even know what is the recommanded app to watch their 4k HDR spiderman extract.

Last edited:

Hildr

May 2, 2017
More accurately: The phone only render graphic at 4k in certain apps and scenarios*

The screen always runs at 4K since it's hardware and number of pixels can't physically be changed. The phone upscale every content to 4K all the time but render some whitelisted app directely in 4K. Still better than proper 2K as the pixels are smaller, but also mean your 4K videos on VLC will be downscaled to 2K by VLC then upscaled back to 4K by the phone, only because Sony didn't whitelist VLC that is perfectly able to run native 4K.

NeonHD

Jul 7, 2015
Waterloo
I almost have the same question, but instead of 4K I want to set a global 2K resolution.

4K is way too overkill, but 2K is the best middle ground between display clarity and battery life.

kinggo2

Dec 2, 2018
that is what you basically have, 99% of the time your phone won't render 4k. Doing that for all scenarios in which things are rendered in 4k would make absolutely zero sense because then they would need to be upscaled again to fit the 4k reselution