Is there root for the t-mobile one plus 8

Search This thread

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Can the bootlooder be unlocked with the t-mobile one plus 8.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Yes. The bootloader can be unlocked, device can be rooted and custom ROMS can be flashed.

You need to get your sim unlocked. From there you can boot loader unlock...

Here are the exact steps to your question: https://support.oneplus.com/app/ans...-to-unlock-bootloader-for-oneplus-smart-phone

I think its going to be pretty much the same as the OnePlus 6 and 7 on T-Mo. I had the 6T. I wrote a guide for unlocking and getting around boot loader. Not my work, just compiled everyone elses work in a central location. But yeah, here are the steps to unlock, convert, and go back to stock for T-Mobile 6T: https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6t/how-to/guide-sim-bootloader-unlock-root-t3921795

Based off other peoples posts, I think the 8 will be the exact same steps. I just need to get my SIM card unlocked. Once I do I go bootloader unlock then custom ROM.

Reactions: GDane1

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco

I'm going to chime in here in regards to the unlock code process.

It took exactly one week to receive an email from oneplus.com. don't bother calling t-mobile for help on this because they have zero access to those unlock codes.

In addition, you will need to do a sim unlock. mobbdepp is the person who can do this for you. He has an OP devoted and dedicated to the sim unlock process, guidelines and whatnot. He helped me get my sim unlock for my oneplus 8.

Now, I'm going to step back and wait until you receive your unlock code from oneplus first.

I and the XDA community are here to assist you! :good:

magicman29

Jul 20, 2020

It took exactly one week to receive an email from oneplus.com. don't bother calling t-mobile for help on this because they have zero access to those unlock codes.

In addition, you will need to do a sim unlock. mobbdepp is the person who can do this for you. He has an OP devoted and dedicated to the sim unlock process, guidelines and whatnot. He helped me get my sim unlock for my oneplus 8.

Now, I'm going to step back and wait until you receive your unlock code from oneplus first.

I have a SIM unlocked and unlocked bootloader on a T-Mobile OP8 and am also curious on how to root it and or convert it to the global/international FW

Last edited:

magicman29

Jul 20, 2020
This process is going to be tricky. Before we get started, are you comfortable and familiar with fastboot?

I'm fairly comfortable with fastboot. I've rooted and unlocked bootloaders on devices before, just not in a while. I have the MSM unbrick tool for the Tmobile Version of the OP8 and I've already used it a couple times. I'm pretty comfortable. Device is on 10.5.7.IN55CB.

My sole reason for rooting is to fix the fingerprint scanner from relocking the bootloader after realizing a lot of my apps wouldn't work.

Last edited:

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
I'm fairly comfortable with fastboot. I've rooted and unlocked bootloaders on devices before, just not in a while. I have the MSM unbrick tool for the Tmobile Version of the OP8 and I've already used it a couple times. I'm pretty comfortable. Device is on 10.5.7.IN55CB.

My sole reason for rooting is to fix the fingerprint scanner from relocking the bootloader after realizing a lot of my apps wouldn't work.

Now that you mention the fingerprint scanner, have you/did you make a backup of your persist.img? NOTE: From what I've gathered, persist.img are unique to each phone and cannot be shared. If you didn't, your persist.img must be lost forever. Again, this is from what I gathered through these forums and posts.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes. The bootloader can be unlocked, device can be rooted and custom ROMS can be flashed.

You need to get your sim unlocked. From there you can boot loader unlock...

Here are the exact steps to your question: https://support.oneplus.com/app/ans...-to-unlock-bootloader-for-oneplus-smart-phone

I think its going to be pretty much the same as the OnePlus 6 and 7 on T-Mo. I had the 6T. I wrote a guide for unlocking and getting around boot loader. Not my work, just compiled everyone elses work in a central location. But yeah, here are the steps to unlock, convert, and go back to stock for T-Mobile 6T: https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6t/how-to/guide-sim-bootloader-unlock-root-t3921795

Based off other peoples posts, I think the 8 will be the exact same steps. I just need to get my SIM card unlocked. Once I do I go bootloader unlock then custom ROM.

I have a SIM unlocked and unlocked bootloader on a T-Mobile OP8 and am also curious on how to root it and or convert it to the global/international FW

This process is going to be tricky. Before we get started, are you comfortable and familiar with fastboot?