Is there way to root S7 Edge with out loosing warranty?

Search This thread

sysctl

Oct 19, 2016
Hi

Is there way to root S7 Edge with out loosing warranty? I tried to google it but didnt find any methods that are safe. By safe I mean something that does not remove warranty.

Cosmic Blue

Mar 24, 2008
Toronto
Currently there is no guaranteed way to root without losing warranty. There maybe a work around by doing systemless root but that is still in the beta stage and may not be perfected for a while.

nitrous²

Jun 4, 2010
The Grid
There are countless threads regarding this issue. There is no way to root the Exynos S7 (Edge) without tripping Knox, thus warranty. Systemless root will NEVER root a Samsung without tripping Knox. Systemless root modifies the kernel to achieve root. This will ALWAYS trigger the Knox counter. Flashing modified image = tripping Knox.

ProtoDeVNan0

Apr 3, 2013
Even flashing a custom recovery kills the warranty unfortunately :(. Anything without Samsung Signature or with modified code, will break the warranty. And Samsung Signature will be ignored after knox has been set to 0x1, this way Your phone won't reset itself after flashing official rom.

sysctl

Oct 19, 2016
Thanks.

I was wondering how tripping warranty works? Does it send something to Samsung servers? I was just wondering if it would be possible to add something in hosts file to prevent it from happening?

Or does anyone know the location of binary that check for signature? In that case one could just modify that binary to accept everything.

The reason I got interested in rooting is that I have some bloatware that I cant uninstall. Forexample some yahoo thing that consumed 12 MB of datatransfer. There is no way to take away it's permission, and there is no uninstall option and when I try to remove it with adb shell (using rm command in /system/app for that) it says file system is readonly.

xAD3r1ty

Jun 24, 2013
Thanks.

I was wondering how tripping warranty works? Does it send something to Samsung servers? I was just wondering if it would be possible to add something in hosts file to prevent it from happening?

Or does anyone know the location of binary that check for signature? In that case one could just modify that binary to accept everything.

The reason I got interested in rooting is that I have some bloatware that I cant uninstall. Forexample some yahoo thing that consumed 12 MB of datatransfer. There is no way to take away it's permission, and there is no uninstall option and when I try to remove it with adb shell (using rm command in /system/app for that) it says file system is readonly.

Just disable yahoo, or install package disabler and disable all the bloat from there

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
I love how Samsung have become everything I hated about Apple. I own an S7 Edge and I'm half considering selling it for a Xiaomi. I get equal warranty with a Xiaomi, but I can get the phone for like £100.

B3311

Feb 16, 2011
Gelderd End, 1974
Seems to be confusion between tripping Knox and warranty here. You can't "trip warranty". In some countries, tripping Knox voids your warranty, but not all. I had my Edge+ fixed twice under warranty, no problem - informed the dealer that I'd removed Knox 30 minutes after purchase, they said it was fine. Same with my son's Note 3.

Unfortunately the only way to be sure is flash a recovery and/or root, bork your phone, and see what happens?

sysctl

Oct 19, 2016
I had few questions raising in my mind:

1) Will ripping warranty also disable software updates?
2) How important is warranty for S7 Edge? Does this phone break easily? My friend told me that Samsung phones will have all kinds of defects and that I am very likely to need warranty, but what about S7 Edge? What's the chances that I need warranty in 2 years given that the phone was brand new when I brought it few months ago?

MisterKanister

Jun 28, 2012
1) Rooting will break OTA update, so you will have to update software by flashing it manually (which is easy, but still)

2) You can never know. Had a Note 4, thought it would never fail, in the end it did and I needed warranty. That's why I am staying away from it on my S7 edge, too expensive in case of failure. And in my country they're strict with Knox

sysctl

Oct 19, 2016
And in my country they're strict with Knox
How do I get to know which countries are strict with Knox and which are not? So after rooting I get no updates at all or it only means I wont get automatically android 7 when Samsung decides to release it?

Isn't there way that I write something smart in hosts file and then Samsung wont get notified?

MisterKanister

Jun 28, 2012
How do I get to know which countries are strict with Knox and which are not?
By hearing experiences from users around the globe. There's no list or something

So after rooting I get no updates at all or it only means I wont get automatically android 7 when Samsung decides to release it
You don't get any OTA updates any more
Isn't there way that I write something smart in hosts file and then Samsung wont get notified?
Unnecessary, Samsung doesn't get notified online or over the Internet from your device

nitrous²

Jun 4, 2010
The Grid
How do I get to know which countries are strict with Knox and which are not? So after rooting I get no updates at all or it only means I wont get automatically android 7 when Samsung decides to release it?

From my experience and hearing from users around the world, central and southern Europe seem to be very strict regarding warranty and tripped Knox. Some countries in eastern Europe, northern Europe are less strict about it.
The Arab peninsula doesn't seem to care at all about Knox and warranty. Don't know much about African countries. Heard users saying they do and don't care about a tripped Knox. Never heard about issues from the United States about warranty and tripped Knox.
Feel free to correct me.

sysctl

Oct 19, 2016
1) Does it only mean no updates for samsung software or no update at all? I mean would it also breaks updates for lets say firefox or vlc or termux (which are not shipped by samsung)?

What do you mean by "flashing it manually" Like manually reinsali firefox when I want newer version of it? Or that I only have to flash manually when I want to update OS?

Last edited:

ss872

Aug 15, 2015
There are countless threads regarding this issue. There is no way to root the Exynos S7 (Edge) without tripping Knox, thus warranty. Systemless root will NEVER root a Samsung without tripping Knox. Systemless root modifies the kernel to achieve root. This will ALWAYS trigger the Knox counter. Flashing modified image = tripping Knox.

What are side effects of tripping knox besides loosing warranty? Will i loose any features?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You won't necessarily lose warranty, you'll lose Knox, Samsung/Android Pay and OTA updates.

Edit - my apologies for my pre-edit post, I thought you were the OP. I should learn to read myself Sorry.

Thanks for answer
    And no need for apologizing could have happen to anyone:)
    What are side effects of tripping knox besides loosing warranty? Will i loose any features?
    You won't necessarily lose warranty, you'll lose Knox, Samsung/Android Pay and OTA updates.

Edit - my apologies for my pre-edit post, I thought you were the OP. I should learn to read myself?? Sorry.
    You won't necessarily lose warranty, as you've been told several times now.

To be honest you don't seem prepared to do any research yourself and just expect to be spoon-fed answers. As mentioned, there are countless threads about this.

Don't be so lazy, read, and learn. You opened this thread 11 days ago. Ample time to research and decide yourself. No one is going to decide for you.
    1) if i root my s7E then warranty counter will be set to 0x1 so officially my warranty is void... Cases mentioned above i would consider lucky
    2) i did my research but all the articles on knox are old and unclear and has same thing.
    And thankyou for your wonderful & informative answer! :D
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone