• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

IS this for real? 13 hour screen on time / battery life for Nexus 7! +USB OTG Flash!

Search This thread

teh_1

Apr 11, 2010
Cluj - Napoca
Hi guys,

I just got the 16 GB version of Nexus 7 yesterday and i was really eager to do a battery lifetime test. The battery was completely discharged on arrival so i waited for it to charge and i started using the tablet as much as i could.
Activities:
- install/uninstall apps
- surfing the web
- facebook/ facebook chat
- benchmarks
- i watched a lot of clips on youtube
- watched 2 episodes of Elementary streamed from my computer
- played Summit X for about 20 minutes, NFSMW for about 45 minutes, Eufloria HD for another 35-40 miunutes
- took various gameplay screenshots
- downloaded wallpapers and notification tones using zedge
- did various setting changes to personalize my tablet

WiFi and the screen were on for most of the time, except for the 50-60 minutes it took me to come home from work

I hope this was useful.

kG7EQ.png

LE: if anyone is wondering the tablet is not rooted (yet) running Android 4.2.1

Last edited:
Reactions: Neo3D

Neo3D

Jan 2, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Nexus 7 Screen On Time Battery Life Rundown USB OTG Flash Storage Memory Stick Test

Here is the same battery rundown test except this time:

• an USB OTG cable is used to access external storage
  • a Mushkin 16GB USB 2.0 Flash drive with LED is used to store the movies

All other variables are the same as in the first test.

Total rundown time, 11hrs! :good: Still very respectable. But, yet again, that stupid MEDIA SERVER is sucking up a good portion of the juice :(

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-12-07-15-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-12-07-15-04.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,232
  • Screenshot_2013-01-12-07-15-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-12-07-15-14.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,236
  • Screenshot_2013-01-12-07-15-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-12-07-15-48.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,233
  • Screenshot_2013-01-12-07-16-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-12-07-16-05.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,222
Last edited:

Neo3D

Jan 2, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Hi guys,

I just got the 16 GB version of Nexus 7 yesterday and i was really eager to do a battery lifetime test. The battery was completely discharged on arrival so i waited for it to charge and i started using the tablet as much as i could.
Activities:
- install/uninstall apps
- surfing the web
- facebook/ facebook chat
- benchmarks
- i watched a lot of clips on youtube
- watched 2 episodes of Elementary streamed from my computer
- played Summit X for about 20 minutes, NFSMW for about 45 minutes, Eufloria HD for another 35-40 miunutes
- took various gameplay screenshots
- downloaded wallpapers and notification tones using zedge
- did various setting changes to personalize my tablet

WiFi and the screen were on for most of the time, except for the 50-60 minutes it took me to come home from work

I hope this was useful.

Nice test! Next time, touch SCREEN and it'll show you how long the screen was actually on. :good:

Reactions: teh_1

Fu5ion

Nov 10, 2012
Boston, MA
The other thing to keep in mind, is that this assumes no idle time. The screen is on for the entire time, so no battery is lost during idle, like on a day of normal usage. That said, thanks for running this test, I had been wondering how much screen time I could max out at.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

xateeq

Oct 19, 2010
Ok now i have some questions,
please tell us which rom and what kernel ur using. (saw the picture but it was blurry)
This thread the OP did the same but the max battery time he could have got was
Max Freq at stock speed (1.3GHz)
1. Franco: 7 hours 10 minutes
I was wondering what is your set-up (rom and kernel)
and i must say 13 hours of continues playback is just amazing.

Ashin

Nov 24, 2012
The only way I got rid of "mediaserver" was to go into Sounds and set key tones and notifications to "silent", and also disable sound on key press in the input settings.

Now mediaserver doesn't even appear on my battery list

Reactions: ales007 and Neo3D

bcvictory

Oct 6, 2011
Bendigo
Ok now i have some questions,
please tell us which rom and what kernel ur using. (saw the picture but it was blurry)
This thread the OP did the same but the max battery time he could have got was
Max Freq at stock speed (1.3GHz)
1. Franco: 7 hours 10 minutes
I was wondering what is your set-up (rom and kernel)
and i must say 13 hours of continues playback is just amazing.

I use Paranoid Android and I used Software Decoding. This tests uses Hardware Decoding. It hardly uses battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: xateeq

noob1011

Jan 3, 2013
Check my battery not drain

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358058955886.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358058955886.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 622
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358059015484.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358059015484.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 612

noob1011

Jan 3, 2013
Woo ops I messed up my post wanted to show this included with my last post. Rookie move. Was just practicing my screen shot use.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358059069718.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358059069718.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 614

LostHorizon

Oct 3, 2012
IT is just fact that the graphic games are the battery drainers.
With the stock android 421 movies drain about 8-9% per hour. So with 9% that means 11 hours of watching movies.

If you start playing the 3d games battery life will drop to between 4-6 hours from what I experienced now.

nexusguy1

Dec 19, 2012
I see that you are using a custom rom (aokp) and stock kernel.

So is it logical to assume that roms are more important than kernels when longer battery life is our concern?

You can consider me a newbie when answering my question.

Richieboy67

Dec 10, 2011
CT
www.talkdevelopment.net
I see that you are using a custom rom (aokp) and stock kernel.

So is it logical to assume that roms are more important than kernels when longer battery life is our concern?

You can consider me a newbie when answering my question.

I think they are both equally vital.

I always had outstanding battery life with my nexus 7 even with the stock rom and Kernal. I now use the paranoid android rom and the kernal that came with it and I still have great battery life.

I swear it is just amazing when doing basic non gaming stuff. I can use it in and off all day and some times all night as well without even writing about charging.

When working I keep it on close reach for email and basic internet stuff, scheduling, etc.

I have had a nexus 7 for months and it was the best $250 I have ever spent.. Outstanding battery life and performance!

Reactions: nexusguy1

heleonardman

Oct 2, 2012
Good stats but I have to ask...what ROM are you running?

Edit...looks like paranoid android...ill have to give that one a go
Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

tuliemhanoi

Jul 25, 2012
looking at the battery graph and stats, it looks like the device was left alone mostly, with the screen on. you see how even the slope down is, it lost battery at an even/steady rate. and the screen wasnt turned off the whole 13 hours. this isnt realistic use.

I think so :)

Gửi từ Nexus 7 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk 2

vorcers

May 21, 2012
How did you guys get a so long wake up time?!?

I always don't get above 6 hours screen on time.... well, I also have a lot of standby time. But I need to recharge every ~24 hours.

I should also do a "always-screen-on-test".

Did some of you which had the 13 hours, under clocked the cpu? Or limited the maximum frequency?

michalurban

Jul 11, 2010
Near Prague
You people make me jealous. :laugh: Ive had my N7 for about three weeks and Im not that satisfied with the battery life as you are. Take today for example:
1) I did complete wipe (fastboot flash 4.2.1) yesterday, installed about 40 of my apps - like apex, quickoffice, imo, flipboard + few widgets like weather (in-pocasi) or uptime widget. I also have gmail widget, tasks and agenda widget. I didnt use any titanium backup except for Where is my water data (game progess).
2) I put it on charger and left it there till morning (today, 100%).
3) Since morning (now, thats 10h:15m off charger), I have 2:15 screen on time and 61 percent left. All I did was to install some (say 5) apps, surfed on the net and tested the installed games (only few minutes each to be sure it runs - Max Payne, Wheres my water, Dead trigger, Heroes call, Paradise island - say 15 minutes total). Always on wifi.

Im on stock rom/stock kernel (4.2.1), but I noticed the same behaviour on Smoothrom 4.2 and 4.3 with Bricked, M-kernel or Motley kernels.

Last time I went to school for exam (monday), I used it for 45 minutes (train), 30 minutes (waiting before the exam), 45 minutes (train home, about 20 minutes of Max Payne) - thats 120 minutes screen on /w 20 minutes gaming - I ended up home with some 40%after circa 4:25 total. That was with clearly installed SmoothROM 4.3 and Bricked 0.58 installed with the ROM.

Ive got Better Battery Stats and there was nothing out of the ordinary, just normal percentage.

Sick! :laugh:

teh_1

Apr 11, 2010
Cluj - Napoca
Please, what ROM/kernel are you using? And what governor, scheduler, frequencies, settings?

I hope you didn't get that wrong, the tablet was left at home in standby for all that time (no WiFi and no other activity, as you can see from the screenshot), but the fact that it was still at 100% when i got home amazed me.
Everything is stock, i just made some tweaks in the settings menu (turned off NFC, GPS, etc)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks for defining what screen on time is. we would all be lost without you.
    I ran a battery rundown test on the Nexus 7.
    • Notifications off
    • Wifi off
    • Bluetooth off
    • GPS off
    • Airplane mode on (I know redundant but wth)
    • Screen brightness auto
    • Reset Battery Stats in Recovery
    • Nav bar turned off
    • Video zoomed to make it fill up the entire screen. (Dice player does this nicely, just pinch & zoom in 5% increments, this video was set to 150%)

I used Dice Player to play that new Batman movie over and over again. It's a h.264 encoded movie @ 720p in MKV container (which I'm loving this container, you can embed subtitles! but I don't think the container matters cuz that's a demux function, not decode function, more important prolly is to use a h.264 profile that's mobile SOC-friendly). It was playing in [HW] accelerated mode.

We got a SCREEN ON time of almost 13 hours!! This lil guy will easily last long enough for most airplane flights. I was a bit worried honestly, cuz you know, Android has a bad rep for battery life. But, I don't think that's the case anymore.

Android ver/ROM/kernel nfo in screenshots.

BTW, SCREEN ON time is different than "battery life" time, because it records the time the device spent with the screen on. Total battery life includes sleep mode, this can sleep for days, maybe a week or two or more, never really tested it.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It would be cool so see others reproduce similar results!

UPDATE: Nexus 7 Screen On Time Battery Life Rundown USB OTG Flash Storage Memory Stick Test
    thanks for defining what screen on time is. we would all be lost without you.

Geeze, don't get your panties in a bunch. Don't assume all the readers here are veteran Android users.
    Thanks for the test. I too have noticed outstanding battery life. I just flew from Hawaii to Michigan and watched movies for over 9 hours on the flight. I still had over 30% when I arrived. This device definitely lasts all day for me!

sent from my perfect 32GB Nexus 7

settings > WiFi > advanced > keep WiFi on during sleep

the default setting is "always". change this to "only when plugged in".

it effectively puts the tablet into airplane mode when sleeping and unplugged.