• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Is this phone dead?!?

Search This thread

UltraRoboto

Aug 21, 2013
Edinburg, TX
My current rom, sitting at 85k views, is unpolished as heck. I am concerned considering how much viewership it has gained in the past two years. I would love to fix it, but I am not sure what is left to improve on as the phone is ancient. Does anyone even sift through here anymore? Just a question before I try modding my Nexus 6p

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers mobile app

nandi910

Jan 14, 2012
My current rom, sitting at 85k views, is unpolished as heck. I am concerned considering how much viewership it has gained in the past two years. I would love to fix it, but I am not sure what is left to improve on as the phone is ancient. Does anyone even sift through here anymore? Just a question before I try modding my Nexus 6p

I am pretty sure that you can safely say that this phone is, not technically dead, but no one looks at xda for android for it anymore, more than likely.

There are newer better phones which are actually cheaper than the L9.

The only reason I came up here, is because I still own one, and my G3 broke down (long story) and I needed a phone to be reached on, and well as it so happens it was bricked so I needed new firmware on it.

UltraRoboto

Aug 21, 2013
Edinburg, TX
I am pretty sure that you can safely say that this phone is, not technically dead, but no one looks at xda for android for it anymore, more than likely.

There are newer better phones which are actually cheaper than the L9.

The only reason I came up here, is because I still own one, and my G3 broke down (long story) and I needed a phone to be reached on, and well as it so happens it was bricked so I needed new firmware on it.
Welp. I hope you like whats out there currently because I sort of realized I hit a wall within the hardware of the L9 . My CPU quit on the day I got my Nexus 6 so I never really touched it, assuming it was gone forever. However, I received a donation phone and my old one booted up recently. Either way, I still developed for the phone but there is only so much you can do with what is available, ending my updates probably permanently. Feelsbadman

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
A real problem seems to be that 1GB of RAM is apparently no longer sufficient. Except if you have Lollipop's or MM's ZRAM and paging. There still seem to be lots of cheaper phones with only 1GB. But as long as they are provided with a current OS, it's still okay.

Reactions: UltraRoboto

UltraRoboto

Aug 21, 2013
Edinburg, TX
A real problem seems to be that 1GB of RAM is apparently no longer sufficient. Except if you have Lollipop's or MM's ZRAM and paging. There still seem to be lots of cheaper phones with only 1GB. But as long as they are provided with a current OS, it's still okay.
I agree. It's difficult for people who couldn't get unlocked boot(like me because my phone's manufacture date wasn't in 2013.) because there wasnt a way to get to Lollipop and higher because of the security error blocking the way to Paradise. Also the cpu was -and still is- very weak. It took a lot just to get the phone to move snappily after the user added apps. I constantly self-tested the rom and even I had a hard time to get the ram and cpu to move efficiently. I hope more companies ship with 2gb ram or even 3 as the standard for low end phones as well. Opens the door for more user customization

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
Yesterday i made a lil' test with Firefox.
The most demanding webpage i know is XDA's "All forums" page. Even when logged in as a user and with much of the ads removed, it crashes the 32bit FF on my desktop pc. Probably because of the 2GB ram limit for 32bit programs under 64bit Windows. (i7-2600k and 16GB should otherwise be sufficient for web browsing)
An Iphone 4s CAN display the page with FF using Apples web engine, despite only 0.5GB of ram. It should take about half an hour to scroll to the bottom of the page, though.
My Huawei Mediapad with 1GB and CM11 will crash, not only ending FF, but also many background services like Google Play Services, in the vain try to free mo' ram.
The P760 performs best of all, with CM13! No crash or FC, Browser is not very responsive, but you can scroll relatively quick, but after a couple of pages there's a pause for rendering the next section. My two Galaxies with 2 and 3GB if ram i didn't test. My Note with Lollipop may fail, but surely not the S5 with Marshmallow like the L9.

(About two years ago i was visiting the forum via WWW with the pc, with no difficulties. Today I use Tapatalk. And even Tapatalk crashes big time every time i access the forum, on the tablet with CM11. Though i only let TT display the subscribed forums, or threads i participated. Smaller forums still mostly work.)
That was my 5 cents about ram limitations, not a bug report about the forum itself, though a more hierarchic structure of the subforums is necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: UltraRoboto

UltraRoboto

Aug 21, 2013
Edinburg, TX
The most demanding webpage i know is XDA's "All forums" page. Even when logged in as a user and with much of the ads removed, it crashes the 32bit FF on my desktop pc. Probably because of the 2GB ram limit for 32bit programs under 64bit Windows. (i7-2600k and 16GB should otherwise be sufficient for web browsing)
An Iphone 4s CAN display the page with FF using Apples web engine, despite only 0.5GB of ram. It should take about half an hour to scroll to the bottom of the page, though.
My Huawei Mediapad with 1GB and CM11 will crash, not only ending FF, but also many background services like Google Play Services, in the vain try to free mo' ram.
The P760 performs best of all, with CM13! No crash or FC, Browser is not very responsive, but you can scroll relatively quick, but after a couple of pages there's a pause for rendering the next section. My two Galaxies with 2 and 3GB if ram i didn't test. My Note with Lollipop may fail, but surely not the S5 with Marshmallow like the L9.

(About two years ago i was visiting the forum via WWW with the pc, with no difficulties. Today I use Tapatalk. And even Tapatalk crashes big time every time i access the forum, on the tablet with CM11. Though i only let TT display the subscribed forums, or threads i participated. Smaller forums still mostly work.)
That was my 5 cents about ram limitations, not a bug report about the forum itself, though a more hierarchic structure of the subforums is necessary.
See the thing is I couldn't unlock my bootloader, making what you said sound impossible imo. Crazy it can do that with cm13. Never could try it out but now I have to test this on my nexus6p! Thanks for the opinion on ram. It opened my eyes a bit.

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
On most L9 models the bootloader was unlockable after a firmware downgrade. From the v10 roms only v10a had an unlockable b/l, but several of the v20 ones, I unlocked with v20c, when this rom was the latest. Only the US T-Mobile version was special. But somewhere I read that the final batch of all models have an encrypted b/l, whatever this implies...

puntoazul

Sep 28, 2013
Los Teques

:silly: what?

UltraRoboto

Aug 21, 2013
Edinburg, TX
On most L9 models the bootloader was unlockable after a firmware downgrade. From the v10 roms only v10a had an unlockable b/l, but several of the v20 ones, I unlocked with v20c, when this rom was the latest. Only the US T-Mobile version was special. But somewhere I read that the final batch of all models have an encrypted b/l, whatever this implies...
I am pretty sure that this implies that encrypted b/l(on basically any batch made after 2013) means rooting is a no go. I found a way to downgrade and go to the euro version, however this never worked for me. thus, making me decide to make a locked bl rom for all to enjoy. However, this was 2 years ago, and I would have pressured people in to fixing problems with my base rom a lot more than before to make both roms a more finished product. Anyone not on p769 may or may not end up with a screen that doesnt shut off. the new Kumakan version(the one my rom is based on) has this problem and consequently, so does mine. The thing had good updates, but that glitch came out of it. No idea how to fix this myself and would need help from someone to get it fixed. now that this forum is half-dead, I half-feel like not doing it. Not sure where to go from here.

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
It may soon become one.
As the last remaining dev seems to have submerged, the situation reminds me of when the last active dev for my Huawei tablet got banned on XDA for selling his roms as donationware. (With the only difference that Huawei has produced about a dozen or so different Mediapads over the years, and they are all stuffed into a single subforum.)

rr+

Apr 26, 2013
well, I still have one and use it - so some interest is there.
Surely there are cheaper/more powerful devices on the market, BUT:
this is 4" - not much out there in that size
it consumes not much power - I use it as navigator on bike tours, providing energy about 5V 300 mA by a hub dynamo - many newer mobiles refuse to load

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
I would like to see some of the bugs in CM13 removed, other roms seem no option, including stock, because of the ram issues.
Nav is down on my P760 with Cm13, one of the more pressing bugs. No satfix, no compass, just coarse network based location.

UltraRoboto

Aug 21, 2013
Edinburg, TX
I would like to see some of the bugs in CM13 removed, other roms seem no option, including stock, because of the ram issues.
Nav is down on my P760 with Cm13, one of the more pressing bugs. No satfix, no compass, just coarse network based location.
Test my rom! I dunno if something still works(also check if the screen stays on...if it does just dip out, if it doesn't, tell me if it needs cleaning up or just ditch it all)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.