Is this phone worth it?

Search This thread

Venkat548

Aug 24, 2016
I am planning to buy this phone.I am currently using galaxy s8. As good as the phone it is,i am kind of disappointed with the stutters and occasional lag.I want a buttery smooth experience.

So here are my questions?

How is the performance? is it as good and smooth as pixel? Any lags,stutters or hiccups?

did the camera improve after the recent updates?

How is the battery life?

I got a deal for 500 CAD i.e 400 USD . do you recommend the phone?

thanks in advance

johnmoon

Apr 8, 2007
For 500 (400 for you) then hell Yes
There’s not a single phone out there with
SD835 with this amazing build at this price
Even OP5 cost more than essential phone.

I would trust essential phone over Chinese phone anyway especially with their BS benchmark and collecting customers’ data.

bill3508

May 23, 2011
Battery life is the best of any device I've had. Camera is great using gcam. Downsides are case availability and really only one usable glass protector. Overall though the device is great.

NotFromMountainView

Oct 25, 2013
Toronto
Fellow Canadian here, is this a public deal. If so I'd love info on where I could buy it as well.

(Time to finally retire my Nexus5)

I am planning to buy this phone.I am currently using galaxy s8. As good as the phone it is,i am kind of disappointed with the stutters and occasional lag.I want a buttery smooth experience.

How is the performance? is it as good and smooth as pixel? Any lags,stutters or hiccups?

How is the battery life?

thanks in advance

heov

Jun 21, 2007
It's appropriately priced at $500 USD, but definitely look I to OnePlus 5T that will be announced soon. Also, many carriers have steep discounts on the Galaxy S8. At Best buy, you can buy an unlocked S8 for 624 USD. If you go through a carrier, some are offering up to $300 off. With Black Friday around the corner, keep an eye out for deals.

Venkat548

Aug 24, 2016
Fellow Canadian here, is this a public deal. If so I'd love info on where I could buy it as well.

Sorry to disappoint you. No its not a public deal. My colleague is offering it.

Even though essential slashed 200$ off the price in states, Telus here in Canada is still selling it for 1050$ if you want to buy it outright.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotFromMountainView

Venkat548

Aug 24, 2016
It's appropriately priced at $500 USD, but definitely look I to OnePlus 5T that will be announced soon. Also, many carriers have steep discounts on the Galaxy S8. At Best buy, you can buy an unlocked S8 for 624 USD. If you go through a carrier, some are offering up to $300 off. With Black Friday around the corner, keep an eye out for deals.

I am currently using the S8. It's a great phone but the performance is not as smooth as I would like. It is the only reason I am looking at essential even thought it has a crappy camera

houli

Jan 5, 2014

Canuck here. I bought this beauty from Amazon.com. Orderd it yesterday morning and recieved it this morning before noon. I'm was using the Note 8 and wanted to try this brute out. Great device for 500.00 bucks US. Worth every dime. Get it before it sells out. It's 1037.00 in Canada, ya right.

Venkat548

Aug 24, 2016
Canuck here. I bought this beauty from Amazon.com. Orderd it yesterday morning and recieved it this morning before noon. I'm was using the Note 8 and wanted to try this brute out. Great device for 500.00 bucks US. Worth every dime. Get it before it sells out. It's 1037.00 in Canada, ya right.

How is the performance? Is it smoother than note 8

Venkat548

Aug 24, 2016

which color did you order?I checked amazon.om .Only white one is 500$.I dont see one for Black though

CaptainElwood

Jan 6, 2012
I had an s8 and note 8, performance is on par or better. Battery life is similar to the note 8, so all day with 3-4hrs sot. I also had a pixel and the stock Android experience is very similar, although I do periodically have lockups with some apps where I have to clear then from recents and restart the app. Overall this phone is by far the best phone I have used, and I go through a lot of phones, I also think curved screens are an annoying gimmick and I like small phones.

Edit: I shouldn't say the best phone by far, it's more that it is just a phone that fits what I perceive as the perfect form factor, small foot print with large non curved screen. Being unlocked with stock Android just makes it even better.

Last edited:

houli

Jan 5, 2014
How is the performance? Is it smoother than note 8
It's pretty good, it's not a Samsung device with all of the special little features however for a seamless Android experience, it's great. This device will do well now with price drop. Then when the Essential PH2 comes out, it will go back up in price for sure as it is worthy of it.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

which color did you order?I checked amazon.om .Only white one is 500$.I dont see one for Black though
I was just on amazon.com, it's there. Black Moon color. Check again. I guarantee you, it's now going to start selling out.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I had an s8 and note 8, performance is on par or better. Battery life is similar to the note 8, so all day with 3-4hrs sot. I also had a pixel and the stock Android experience is very similar, although I do periodically have lockups with some apps where I have to clear then from recents and restart the app. Overall this phone is by far the best phone I have used, and I go through a lot of phones, I also think curved screens are an annoying gimmick and I like small phones.

Edit: I shouldn't say the best phone by far, it's more that it is just a phone that fits what I perceive as the perfect form factor, small foot print with large non curved screen. Being unlocked with stock Android just makes it even better.
Yes I have to agree, the size form for the Essential is great. It's a zippy device as well. I'm glad I have it to use when I want to switch from my note 8 from time to time.

Venkat548

Aug 24, 2016
It's pretty good, it's not a Samsung device with all of the special little features however for a seamless Android experience, it's great. This device will do well now with price drop. Then when the Essential PH2 comes out, it will go back up in price for sure as it is worthy of it.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I was just on amazon.com, it's there. Black Moon color. Check again. I guarantee you, it's now going to start selling out.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Yes I have to agree, the size form for the Essential is great. It's a zippy device as well. I'm glad I have it to use when I want to switch from my note 8 from time to time.

Thanks. I only see this and it costs 625 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B074BWGRKH/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Can you share the link where you bought it for for 500usd please

Venkat548

Aug 24, 2016

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For 500 (400 for you) then hell Yes
    There’s not a single phone out there with
    SD835 with this amazing build at this price
    Even OP5 cost more than essential phone.

I would trust essential phone over Chinese phone anyway especially with their BS benchmark and collecting customers’ data.
    Best top of the line phone for a budget price.

;)

Works great, battery is excellent.

;)

How is the battery life?

thanks in advance