• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Is this phone worth upgrading too?

Would you recommend upgrading to the Pixel 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

mojorisin7178

Jun 26, 2011
Saint James
I honestly don't know. Mine is coming today. Personally I decided to go with the smaller pixel 6. I usually don't get a phone on launch day i like to wait for at least 6 months because every phone that has ever been made has problems. But in this case i figured the 6 couldn't be much worse than the pixel 5 which is what i have now so i got it. If the tensor chip proves to be all its claiming and the phone is really as good as it looks then i will get the pro and give the base model to my wife.

Reactions: starbiker99

Diablo2424

Mar 6, 2008
Depends on what you're upgrading from. I'm coming from a OP6, so this will be a welcomed upgrade

MrN1484

Depends what you're upgrading from I guess.

I had an Experia 5ii, great little device with a sometimes awesome camera but as time's gone on the proximity sensor doesn't seem to work well and it drops a lot of calls. So as a phone, a bit pants!

What I've noticed so far with the P6.

Display is lovely, going from 120hz to to 90hz wasn't a big deal, it's still smooth. Brightness and colours are the best I've had on a device.

Using it as a phone seems to work well, and in the car it maintains reception.

Haptics are really nice and clicky

Camera is good so far, especially in lower light which in the UK is important!

Batery is good, about 36 hours in normal use.

Fingerprint sensor is OK, it's not great and takes time to register but it's fine.

It is quite heavy.

In use, it's snappy and smooth. I don't game on the phone but for everything else it's quick.

The only real irritating things I can find is the slightly slow FP reader and I can't seem to get rid of the new small at-a-glance on the home screen, I want the old one back!

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71
Depends what you're upgrading from I guess.

I had an Experia 5ii, great little device with a sometimes awesome camera but as time's gone on the proximity sensor doesn't seem to work well and it drops a lot of calls. So as a phone, a bit pants!

What I've noticed so far with the P6.

Display is lovely, going from 120hz to to 90hz wasn't a big deal, it's still smooth. Brightness and colours are the best I've had on a device.

Using it as a phone seems to work well, and in the car it maintains reception.

Haptics are really nice and clicky

Camera is good so far, especially in lower light which in the UK is important!

Batery is good, about 36 hours in normal use.

Fingerprint sensor is OK, it's not great and takes time to register but it's fine.

It is quite heavy.

In use, it's snappy and smooth. I don't game on the phone but for everything else it's quick.

The only real irritating things I can find is the slightly slow FP reader and I can't seem to get rid of the new small at-a-glance on the home screen, I want the old one back!
Is the fingerprint sensor really slow or is it about the same as other under display optical sensors? As for at-a-glance is that mostly just personal taste?

MrN1484

Is the fingerprint sensor really slow or is it about the same as other under display optical sensors? As for at-a-glance is that mostly just personal taste?
I had a Xiaomi mi9t Pro with an in display reader and from what I can remember it's about the same.

The permanent (as far as I can tell) at a glance is in the top left corner so you have to stretch your thumb all the way across the screen vs the older widget which you can place anywhere.

Reactions: Aces_and_Eights

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71
I had a Xiaomi mi9t Pro with an in display reader and from what I can remember it's about the same.

The permanent (as far as I can tell) at a glance is in the top left corner so you have to stretch your thumb all the way across the screen vs the older widget which you can place anywhere.
I've never used a pixel before but apparently at a glance is one of the main features, let's hope they change this soon and okay at least the fingerprint sensor is not worse than others.

MrN1484

I've never used a pixel before but apparently at a glance is one of the main features, let's hope they change this soon and okay at least the fingerprint sensor is not worse than others.
We maybe talking at cross purposes... I've attached a couple of screenshots.

I much prefer the at a glance widget which has been available for a few years with the Google Assistant vs the fixed new one in the top left corner.

This is my first pixel, I've had pho es running Pixel Experience before but no Pixel up until now appealed to me, there was always a compromise too far whereas this seems to tick all the boxes, an SD card reader would have been nice though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-082023.png
    Screenshot_20211029-082023.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20211029-081941.png
    Screenshot_20211029-081941.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 74

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71

I much prefer the at a glance widget which has been available for a few years with the Google Assistant vs the fixed new one in the top left corner.

This is my first pixel, I've had pho es running Pixel Experience before but no Pixel up until now appealed to me, there was always a compromise too far whereas this seems to tick all the boxes, an SD card reader would have been nice though.
I see what you mean, I agree with you on preferring the original at a glance widget.

Reactions: MrN1484

Diablo2424

Mar 6, 2008
Coming from a galaxy a71.
Looking at the specs of the regular a71 vs the Pixel 6 (https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11037&idPhone2=9995), it looks like the Pixel 6 has a smaller screen, but better gorilla glass, much faster CPU/GPU, about the same camera's (maybe a little worse on the Pixel 6, but don't forget Google has a lot of software tweaks to their photos that will help boost the quality above the a71), faster USB, WiFi 6 support and 5G support if you don't have the a71 5g version. The a71 does have a MicroSD slot which the Pixel 6 doesn't have if that's an important feature to you. Oh and the Pixel 6 is IP68 rated, but the a71 doesn't show any IP rating.

Basically the Pixel 6 is a smaller screen, faster phone (CPU, GPU, 5G and WiFi) with equivalent camera quality, but doesn't allow you to expand the storage. So it would be an upgrade, but not a MAJOR upgrade as the a71 is still a very good phone by 2021 standards.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I upgraded from a P3a XL to the P6. I simply will not spend $800-$1200 on a phone that is going to be obsolete in a couple of years. That's why I've stayed with the "A" series Pixels until now. The P6 was a bit of a budget stretch, but the phone is so much better than the "A" series phones that it was worth the extra $100-150 to me.

For me personally, the P6 Pro doesn't offer enough benefits to justify the $300 price difference - that's a 50% increase in price over the P6. Obviously everything in the Pro is slightly better than the P6, but I didn't feel that everything was 50% better.

That being said, the P6 is a great phone and I am very happy with it so far. Of course I've only had it for about 24 hours now. The in-screen fingerprint reader has worked fine for me. It is a "touch and hold" motion (need to hold for almost a second before it unlocks), but I've had probably 90% success with my first touch. It's not as fast or as reliable has the rear reader on the P3 XL, but I actually like the front placement better than the rear. I didn't think I was going to say that, but being able to unlocked the phone while it is sitting on a table without picking it up is really nice. The front reader is also placed in the perfect spot to read your thumb when you do pick it up too.

It's been raining here, so I haven't really tried out the cameras, but I believe they are as good as the former Pixels. Not better yet, but as good. I honestly expect the camera performance to get better as Google continues to tweak the software for the new sensor and lenses. The old sensor was tweaked for years and years to get it to the current quality level. If Google can start at that level with the new sensor, I am quite happy.

ctakah27

Oct 20, 2010
NYC
Just got my pixel6, coming from a year on a redmagic flagship. Pixel feels like a downgrade.

The permanent (as far as I can tell) at a glance is in the top left corner so you have to stretch your thumb all the way across the screen vs the older widget which you can place anywhere.oming from a mi9t Pro
Second this. I'm coming from a mi9t Pro and the fingerprint scanner on the Pixel 6 seems to be the same.

rochrunner

Jan 13, 2012
Coming from a 3a, my biggest reservation is the size. There are places where my 3a fits well -- certain pockets, in my car when plugged in, while cycling., etc. -- and the added size of the 6 might just be too much. I might have opted for the 5a, but the way they soft-pedaled and restricted the release makes me afraid it will be somewhat of an orphan product. Decisions, decisions...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I honestly don't know. Mine is coming today. Personally I decided to go with the smaller pixel 6. I usually don't get a phone on launch day i like to wait for at least 6 months because every phone that has ever been made has problems. But in this case i figured the 6 couldn't be much worse than the pixel 5 which is what i have now so i got it. If the tensor chip proves to be all its claiming and the phone is really as good as it looks then i will get the pro and give the base model to my wife.

I see what you mean, I agree with you on preferring the original at a glance widget.