Question Is Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 really the best choice in this price range?

Search This thread

SnowJim

Apr 25, 2011
Hi,

I got a Samsung Tab S2 9.7 today that I had since 2016, it is still working but it is a bit slow, and the battery drains faster.

It is mainly used for chrome, comics, Netflix, Kodi and some other streaming services. I really like the 4:3 aspect but there is no longer any Android device that offers this.

Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 is nicely priced but according to "internet" it seems to have a lot of problems with streaming services, many reports claiming it to stream to low bitrate and HDR material is a problem. Many of the problems seems to have been there for a while without fix. In some cases, there might be solutions, but it is not often not a straight forward fix.

So, is this tablet still a good choice for me or is there something else I should look at?

Regards

Paddy1401

Dec 7, 2020
It's good on paper. Until you use it and have to live with ****ty software. I have this device as a gift so I can't complain much. But if I was the one to pay, this will be my biggest regret.

Reactions: SnowJim
For me, the tablet fulfills everything I need. In some scenes it's really too dark, but I can cope with this. and there are hardly any tablets here except from the big brands like Apple or Samsung. Since I'm personally not a fan of OneUI and Apple simply gives me a too closed system with IOS. Other things are "toys". other variant would be only import of devices.

Reactions: maddler

Gothsome

Jul 31, 2022
If you use the device like an apple product it is trash, but if you use it like a lot android people and kick everything from the device which you don't need, it's very nice. I got mine used like new for less than 200 and in this range I think it's very good.

Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Poco F3
Am just wondering how is the stylus performance if we don't use the official stock rom and use custom Rom?
also there is no custom ROMs except GSIs for this tablet. Before I bought this I foolishly assumed the moddind-scene here would be lish and thriving. But instead its more like a desert here..

Its rootable at least via adb commands. Maybe I could flash GSI at some point, dunno. Im trying to learn more about coding and making my "own stuff" right now. maybe in 5 years Ive made something useful 😂

also there is no custom ROMs except GSIs for this tablet. Before I bought this I foolishly assumed the moddind-scene here would be lish and thriving. But instead its more like a desert here..

Its rootable at least via adb commands. Maybe I could flash GSI at some point, dunno. Im trying to learn more about coding and making my "own stuff" right now. maybe in 5 years Ive made something useful 😂

Yes I noticed the lagging root options too! Actually it's not just xiaomi, other brand tablets don't have much custom Rom option too. I'm actually keen to get affordable tablet with stylus support. Was considering this or lenovo xiaoxin brand.

UmiCat

If you can stand MIUI, then Pad 5 would be an excellent choice. If you can't, the choice would be to install a GSI without the Xiaomi pen functionality. I have Pad 5 Pro 5G, but I also ended up with buying Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (5G) because I wanted to use a pen. Samsung OneUI isn't perfect but much more torelable. S Pen is fantastic! But if you live in the US or Canada I think you can't unlock the bootloader of Samsung devices (with 4G/5G).

Last edited:

vandal4e

Feb 28, 2008
S8 has no added worth compared to budget friendly Pad 5, and if u wanna spend as much as to get S8 Ultra, u are better off just getting new ipad in november

FrankieNotFound

Aug 16, 2022
Xiaomi Mi 10
I don’t think so. The backboard of the Xiaomi Pad 5 and Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro is made of plastic. However, the frame is made of metal. So, It’s uncomfortable to put it in your hand. Last but not least, Both Xiaomi Pad 5 and Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro have a poor ram. My Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro often crashes..If you want to buy one, I recommend you to buy the pro edition. As it has a better chip that can run games smoothly.

Gothsome

Jul 31, 2022
I don’t think so. The backboard of the Xiaomi Pad 5 and Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro is made of plastic. However, the frame is made of metal. So, It’s uncomfortable to put it in your hand. Last but not least, Both Xiaomi Pad 5 and Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro have a poor ram. My Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro often crashes..If you want to buy one, I recommend you to buy the pro edition. As it has a better chip that can run games smoothly.
I use the normal non pro and it has a enough power for games like tower of fantasy and emulation.

The frame is when im reading good, but if you game you should use a thicker Case or Bluetooth controller
the border of the screen is quite slim so as said i suggest a thicker case for better grip.

The display is dark with some netflix Content, but i thing its rather a hdr an not ultra bright Screen problem,because when i watch stuff on my quite new, but not OLED TV i have to darken the room quite a lot too.

you get always better stuff when paying more.

Reactions: FrankieNotFound

lordzinh

Oct 3, 2022
Need advice on buying as well, i'm divided between mi pad 5 with original pen and keyboard for around 390€ (second hand, used for 2 months) or a xiaoxin pad pro 21 on giztop (around 370€ after shipping withus charger and no pen / keyboard). Is the difference between 860 and 870 high enough to justify?
Also, I thought the pen was going to be useless because i was going to flash a GSI but from what i understood with the device tree available now there's going to be custom ROMs that might support the pen?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm fairly happy with it and have no major concerns.
    I understand this might be sujective but, I'd be more than happy to buy again if I had too, at least in this price range.
    I think you should choose another tablet
    It's good on paper. Until you use it and have to live with ****ty software. I have this device as a gift so I can't complain much. But if I was the one to pay, this will be my biggest regret.
    For me, the tablet fulfills everything I need. In some scenes it's really too dark, but I can cope with this. and there are hardly any tablets here except from the big brands like Apple or Samsung. Since I'm personally not a fan of OneUI and Apple simply gives me a too closed system with IOS. Other things are "toys". other variant would be only import of devices.
    Ive been using it with cr droid 11 and its amazing. I use it mostly to read and watch videos.

Ditch the original software.