• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Is your Galaxy S21 also hanging/freezing data connection?

Search This thread

tellet

Jan 28, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
I just got the phone from T-mobile PL, its generally better in every aspect than my old Xperia X (it was ancient), but now its starting to behave strangely.
It sometimes hangs/freezes the data connection - I can still see the LTE/LTE+/5G icon, but I can't load any website or use any app that relies on data connection. The same happens with wifi router- I even started constantly pinging some server, and I can clearly see that on random basis, it can start spamming timeouts.
The only solution is to either use airplane mode (cause switching data on/off doesn't always help), or go into cellular settings and switch the data mode from/to 5G/4G/3G/2G to/from 4G/3G/2G - basically just forcing it to (probably) reestablish the data connection fixes it.

Do any of you are having the same problem? Its still quite new phone so I can return it or just wait till Samsung patches it.
Galaxy S21 5G
SM-G991B/DS
One UI 3.1 / Android 11
GooglePlay update 1 Aug 2021
Modem ver. G991BXXU3AUI1
Kernel: 5.4.61-22360073-abG991BXXU3AUHB #2 Tue Aug 17 13:42 KST 2021
Ver no: RP1A.200720.012.G991BXXU3AUHB
Service provider software version: SAOMC_SM-G991B-OXM_TP_RR_0006

goattee

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego
I just got the phone from T-mobile PL, its generally better in every aspect than my old Xperia X (it was ancient), but now its starting to behave strangely.
It sometimes hangs/freezes the data connection - I can still see the LTE/LTE+/5G icon, but I can't load any website or use any app that relies on data connection. The same happens with wifi router- I even started constantly pinging some server, and I can clearly see that on random basis, it can start spamming timeouts.
The only solution is to either use airplane mode (cause switching data on/off doesn't always help), or go into cellular settings and switch the data mode from/to 5G/4G/3G/2G to/from 4G/3G/2G - basically just forcing it to (probably) reestablish the data connection fixes it.

Do any of you are having the same problem? Its still quite new phone so I can return it or just wait till Samsung patches it.
Galaxy S21 5G
SM-G991B/DS
One UI 3.1 / Android 11
GooglePlay update 1 Aug 2021
Modem ver. G991BXXU3AUI1
Kernel: 5.4.61-22360073-abG991BXXU3AUHB #2 Tue Aug 17 13:42 KST 2021
Ver no: RP1A.200720.012.G991BXXU3AUHB
Service provider software version: SAOMC_SM-G991B-OXM_TP_RR_0006
Hello T-mobile Poland. I'm T-mobile US S21 with Snapdragon. I haven't had this problem at all over the last 5+ months.

leviiis

Aug 5, 2013
I have problem like you, but I am not sure if my problem comes from data or wifi connection. Sometimes when I play a game, all is freezing for a short time (10 seconds), and I can do nothing in this time. After this, all is running good again. I have beta 12, but the problem also on Android 11. It looks like a short kernel crashing, but I think, then the phone had to be restart.

tellet

Jan 28, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
I have problem like you, but I am not sure if my problem comes from data or wifi connection. Sometimes when I play a game, all is freezing for a short time (10 seconds), and I can do nothing in this time. After this, all is running good again. I have beta 12, but the problem also on Android 11. It looks like a short kernel crashing, but I think, then the phone had to be restart.
I don't think its the same, cause my phone doesn't freeze- it just the data connection that freezes and causes anything using internet to time out. Besides that, phone is perfectly fine and it has never crashed.