• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Is your Pixel 5 able to access 4G Network?

Search This thread

n3far1us

Jun 28, 2015
Denver
It seems my Pixel 5 (unlocked) is stuck between LTE and 5G. Well, LTE most of the time and occasionally 5G when around town.
If I understand correctly, P5 is backward compatible with 4G, but it never picks up 4G signal even when I am at my home where my P4XL would always have 4 bars for 4G.
Oh, and I am on Verizon, and not rooted, yet.
Trying to see if anybody else is in the same boat. Maybe I have a bad unit?

Michael1200

Nov 16, 2016
While there are differences in definition, LTE is essentially 4G. Often it's just a marketing thing which of these two terms gets chosen. Even though there are technical differences ("true 4G" would be LTE advanced, as default LTE only supports up to 300 mbit/s while the 4G standard allows gigabit speeds), practically it's okay to simplify that 4G = LTE. When being technically correct, however, LTE would only be "3.9G".

Maybe Google shows 4G as LTE for simplicity reasons?

Last edited:

saturday_night

Sep 7, 2016
There is LTE and LTE+ shown on my Pixel 5 depending on the type of connection i have at that moment, but it was allways this way at least in europe (Germany) 4G= LTE (up to 300mb/s) and 4G+=LTE+ (300mb/s+)

Michael1200

Nov 16, 2016
There is LTE and LTE+ shown on my Pixel 5 depending on the type of connection i have at that moment, but it was allways this way at least in europe (Germany) 4G= LTE (up to 300mb/s) and 4G+=LTE+ (300mb/s+)

Correct, it has been the same for me. LTE+ is equivalent to the above mentioned LTE advanced, which usually works through carrier aggregation. I've yet to see "4G" display on my notification bar. I believe it also depends on the carrier and their network protocols whether the phone recognizes the connection as 4G or LTE.

alxthegolden

Sep 5, 2013
Which carrier?
o2 Germany, but as far as i know LTE is the technology behind 4g. While 4g defines the Speed an Connection Standards but no device ever reaches that speed. So its more a carrier decision like someone Said above. LTE is needed for 4g anyways. I Hope that makes any sense

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 5 mit Tapatalk

n3far1us

Jun 28, 2015
Denver
While there are differences in definition, LTE is essentially 4G. Often it's just a marketing thing which of these two terms gets chosen. Even though there are technical differences ("true 4G" would be LTE advanced, as default LTE only supports up to 300 mbit/s while the 4G standard allows gigabit speeds), practically it's okay to simplify that 4G = LTE. When being technically correct, however, LTE would only be "3.9G".

Maybe Google shows 4G as LTE for simplicity reasons?

Thank you for the response. Initially I thought the same. However, the speed I get when it shows LTE, is much much slower than I was getting when my P4XL was on 4G. Which is why I am curious.
I guess, if Google showing 4G as LTE for simplicity, then it means that this phone's reception is worse in comparison to P4XL.
If that is not the case, and it should connect to 4G network and should show as 4G, then I have a faulty device.
I guess will see as more people gets the phone in hand.

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Im using DSDS and both Sims are getting LTE

597044013.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5