• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Issue] Couldn't complete your transaction Gift cards can only be used in the country where they were

Search This thread

Aaazv

Oct 1, 2015
"Couldn't complete your transaction Gift cards can only be used in the country where they were".
This is the error Im getting everytime when trying to purchase apps with play store.
Im rooted, have xposed, have tried to mock location, change ip with a reliable vpn. Im not in US.
Any workaround for this issue? Even a hard one?

SkrubbyJohnny

May 6, 2021
I am having the same issue, except with Indonesia. I previously bought IDR gift cards and could redeem them just fine, but since today that has no longer been working and I get the same error. The Google account has its store and region set to Indonesia and I have tried using a VPN to no avail. No clue how to fix this

Aaazv

Oct 1, 2015
Change your Google Play country:

1. Open the Google Play Store app .
2. At the top right, tap the profile icon.
3. Tap Settings - General Account and device preferences Country and profiles.
Thats not a solution. Those who change their country in play store, will lose all of their balance and even access to the paid apps, books and games that they got before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210729-105350_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210729-105350_Chrome.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 108
Aug 16, 2019
Try using a Mastercard or Visa if you can.
Yes, credit and debit cards confirmed still work but that's not an adequate solution for many, especially those who already have substantial amounts of money in their play balance.
The issue only affects play gift cards and play balances. It even affects play balances that weren't necessarily filled using play gift cards in some cases, I'm told.
I choose not to willingly give out my bank CCs or real identity to scummy spyware companies like google anyways, so I have a prepaid visa gift card set as alternate form of payment.. this form of payment remains unaffected by google's recent gaffe.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yes, credit and debit cards confirmed still work but that's not an adequate solution for many, especially those who already have substantial amounts of money in their play balance.
The issue only affects play gift cards and play balances. It even affects play balances that weren't necessarily filled using play gift cards in some cases, I'm told.
I choose not to willingly give out my bank CCs or real identity to scummy spyware companies like google anyways, so I have a prepaid visa gift card set as alternate form of payment.. this form of payment remains unaffected by google's recent gaffe.
I rarely use pay apps. I have 4 on the phone.
Package Disabler and Poweramp are needed the other two I could ditch.
Best to feed the beast as little as possible (meaning Google Playwhore).

Google can't do much to a MC or Visa at least in the US as your assets are protected.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019
Best to feed the beast as little as possible.

Google can't do much to a MC or Visa at least in the US as your assets are protected.
Poweramp is def worth ponying up for. I think the dev even has a non-google payment option with a separate non-google variant of the apk. That's the way to go for sure, but I also understand he probably gets more volume of sales through the play store than through his own site's vendor process. Nature of the beast.
As for payment, walking into a store and putting cash on an unregistered mc or visa debit/gift card is simple enough and works for most online purchases with the exception of subscriptions/recurring billing. If all I wanted was a $6 app for instance I would just load $10 on the card. Better to risk compromising pocket change than to risk compromising your checking account. Plus it's anon if you follow the correct opsec procedures.

Reactions: blackhawk

Borororon

Sep 18, 2021
I am having the same issue, except with Indonesia. I previously bought IDR gift cards and could redeem them just fine, but since today that has no longer been working and I get the same error. The Google account has its store and region set to Indonesia and I have tried using a VPN to no avail. No clue how to fix this
Any solution to this issue yet sir ?
Im also from Indonesia and having the same issue. Tried to contact google and their answer is not helping.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's also not a solution because my country in those settings is already correct, and yet the gift card redemption doesn't work.
    This. Google messed up. It seems in their ham fisted attempt to target scammers they ended up locking the play balances of untold thousands (perhaps more) of legitimate accounts.
    Best to feed the beast as little as possible.

Poweramp is def worth ponying up for. I think the dev even has a non-google payment option with a separate non-google variant of the apk. That's the way to go for sure, but I also understand he probably gets more volume of sales through the play store than through his own site's vendor process. Nature of the beast.
    As for payment, walking into a store and putting cash on an unregistered mc or visa debit/gift card is simple enough and works for most online purchases with the exception of subscriptions/recurring billing. If all I wanted was a $6 app for instance I would just load $10 on the card. Better to risk compromising pocket change than to risk compromising your checking account. Plus it's anon if you follow the correct opsec procedures.