Issue: Huawei device asks for password to decrypt data after update to 19.1

dima-82

May 31, 2016
Good evening.

I updated to 19.1 on OnePlus 3t and 5 without any issues, but with my Huawei MediaPad M3 I was faced with problems:

Installation went well, but after reboot Android asks me for a password to encrypt data. Device is in flight mode. ADB not available. Nothing is accessible. Not even a keyboard opens. Just a line and a blinking cursor.

To restore is not neccessary to wipe. Flashing stock boot is enough to boot properly. Read already that many try to wipe data without any success.
Tried manually install. Install from TWRP. Everytime the same result.

Found this posts on GitHub:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/1409
Seems that there is an issue with many Huawei devices.

Went back to Magisk 18.0, which still works.

dima-82

May 31, 2016
Tried to decrypt data manually. But the Huawei MediaPad M3 has not option in the setting do decrypt data.
It seems that data is encrypted by default, even if no device password is set. Makes for me absolutely no sense to encrypt data without password protection, right?!

Is there any way I can decrypt data via ADB or Magisk without wiping data?

feretio

Nov 6, 2011
Denver
Hi,

I have the same problem. I was able to use a USB keyboard with an OTG cable to type but I never set a password to begin with and of course just pressing enter did nothing. After rebooting into TWRP, installing the 18.1 zip allowed it to work again. I've tried v19.1, v19.2 & v19.3 with the same result. The latest version of Magisk Manager (7.3.2) works just fine.