• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[issue] : My bank app is detecting rooted phone despite Magisk

Search This thread

Latruffy

Aug 4, 2021
Hello,
I own a Samsung A5 (2016) running LineageOS.
Since several versions of Magisk (presently I'm running v23), my bank app detects that my phone is rooted, and then refuses to work, despite I added this app to MagiskHide list.
Could you please have a look, and try to solve this issue ?

Test case :
  • app : Monabanq from the Play Store
  • select the upper button "JE SUIS DEJA CLIENT" (in french)
  • get then a red box "Informations sécurité
    Pour des raisons de sécurité, l'application ne supporte plus les appareils rootés. Pour continuer d'utiliser l'application, enlevez le root si vous l'avez mis en place vous-même ou contactez votre revendeur pour réinitialiser le téléphone."
And I can't access the next screen requesting credentials to logon.

Thanks by advance.
Best regards

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
You don't mention anything about hiding the Magisk app. I'd start by trying that. There's an option for it in the app settings. Afterwards you'll see that the "package" entry in the nation window has changed to a random string. It's still possible to detect the Magisk app after that, but it's harder and not all detection methods have started doing that yet.

Latruffy

Aug 4, 2021
Hello,
Thanks for trying to help me.
Sorry I forgot to tell that I already had hiden Magisk app.
But despite it, my bank app still detects it.
:-(

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Ok.

When I tested the app I had no issues hiding from it. I have the Magisk app hidden and add the Monabanq app to the Hide list and the "Informations sécurité..." message never appeared (it did with the app not on the Hide list).

This was tested on my OnePlus 5T, Android 11 custom ROM. No mods like EdXposed/LSPosed, etc...

Magisk can hide from the app, it seems, but maybe you're not using an up-to-date Android version (hiding is harder on older Android releases) or the app is using some other popular detection technique like finding root apps or directors on your device (Titanium Backup and the TWRP directory are popular choices, and I have neither on my device).

There are some updates that need to be done to my Magisk guide, but you can find more things here:
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskHide#hn_Hiding_root_from_apps

Latruffy

Aug 4, 2021
Just FYI, my phone is an old Samsung A5 2016, running LineageOS 17.1 (then based on Android 10), and TWRP.
No mods, no Titanium backup,..

I've just tested to remove /TWRP directory from my phone (after moving it to my laptop for backup).
Without success : root is still detected.

I'll read the link you supply above, to try getting some more ideas/tests to perform.
Thanks for your help.

Latruffy

Aug 4, 2021
I've finally solved the issue :
Since the internal storage of my "old" phone is only 8 GB, I added an external SD card that I formated as adoptable storage.
I've checked my bank app location and found that it was installed on SD card.
Then after moving it to the internal storage, I can know run it successfully (the app still in Magisk hidelist, and Magisk app switched to hidden).

The topic may be switched to "Solved".
Thanks

Reactions: Didgeridoohan

sottaquadrat

Aug 11, 2011
Makassar
Ok.

When I tested the app I had no issues hiding from it. I have the Magisk app hidden and add the Monabanq app to the Hide list and the "Informations sécurité..." message never appeared (it did with the app not on the Hide list).

This was tested on my OnePlus 5T, Android 11 custom ROM. No mods like EdXposed/LSPosed, etc...

Magisk can hide from the app, it seems, but maybe you're not using an up-to-date Android version (hiding is harder on older Android releases) or the app is using some other popular detection technique like finding root apps or directors on your device (Titanium Backup and the TWRP directory are popular choices, and I have neither on my device).

There are some updates that need to be done to my Magisk guide, but you can find more things here:
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskHide#hn_Hiding_root_from_apps
Can you help me with app money app i.saku

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've finally solved the issue :
    Since the internal storage of my "old" phone is only 8 GB, I added an external SD card that I formated as adoptable storage.
    I've checked my bank app location and found that it was installed on SD card.
    Then after moving it to the internal storage, I can know run it successfully (the app still in Magisk hidelist, and Magisk app switched to hidden).

The topic may be switched to "Solved".
    Thanks