• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ISSUE][SOLVED] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2

Search This thread

ZapBeeb

Mar 29, 2012
It seems that tether is locked and not included on your carrier plan. Maybe ask confirmation to Vodafone.

If you have root, above procedure let you tether using default APN...

So, when tethering is blocked the clients do not even connect to the hotspot?
I imagined they would connect to the hotspot and then not be able to connect to the internet, like connecting to a wireless router with no connection.

furius

Sep 6, 2009
R: [ISSUE][SOLVED] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2

So, when tethering is blocked the clients do not even connect to the hotspot?
I imagined they would connect to the hotspot and then not be able to connect to the internet, like connecting to a wireless router with no connection.

Yes you are right: when I asked Vodafone to lock web APN (web.omnitel.it) after activating hotspot, the client was apparently able to connect to the phone but no internet connection was available.

If you can't connect maybe your issue is different from the one in this thread.
On other blog some people reported to have solved similar issue using this app (not tested since I solve with the script):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rick7C2

Sep 5, 2008
Will this fix allow me to tether without att knowing I am tethering? I dont want to lose my unlimited data plan but dont think it is worth paying $35 per 3GB for my tablet..

My phone is HTC One Dev Edition rooted I just dont want them to know that I am tethering although I probably will not do it much.

furius

Sep 6, 2009
Will this fix allow me to tether without att knowing I am tethering? I dont want to lose my unlimited data plan but dont think it is worth paying $35 per 3GB for my tablet..

My phone is HTC One Dev Edition rooted I just dont want them to know that I am tethering although I probably will not do it much.

Yes this should work. Anyway, if I'm not wrong, the HTC One is running Android 4.1.2, so you can also use last version of "Wifi Tether for Root users" from the Play Store: launch tethering with this app and not from the built-in feature, this will allow you tether without additional costs ...

nasvi

Oct 17, 2012
Yes this should work. Anyway, if I'm not wrong, the HTC One is running Android 4.1.2, so you can also use last version of "Wifi Tether for Root users" from the Play Store: launch tethering with this app and not from the built-in feature, this will allow you tether without additional costs ...

I use the built in Hot Spot in HTC One Dev Edition ....

Works fine for me even without this script/mod...

what gives?????:confused:

nasvi

Oct 17, 2012
Anyone have any idea what the difference would be ...using build in hotspot vs Wi-Fi thether?

Does Wi-Fi thether app do anything differently?

Ohhh and I would like to add that using any app whether it be Wi-Fi thether or the build in hotspot with a VPN would make it almost impossible to detect...

Last edited:

makaluch

May 21, 2007
Tethering is not working.

DEVICE INFO: New S3 Vz SCH-i535 - rooted on stock ROM
ACTIONS: Running iptables script at boot. Verified with unlocker from gplay. I believe mine is a separate issue from tagged traffic.
ISSUE1: not advertising SSID when tethering
SYMPTOM: Unsuccessful when enabling Mobile Hotspot or USB/BT tethering because it checks for a subscription before enabling

UNRELATED ISSUE2: cannot connect to PC during normal operation [only in CWM Recovery and using Kies/connects to "CDROM" not SD filesystem]

I think the native 4.1.2 UI on 3.0.31kernel is different than the upgraded versions. If anyone has any info or guidance in figuring out tethering on native 4.1.2, that would be awesome!

Last edited:

furius

Sep 6, 2009
Tethering is not working.

DEVICE INFO: New S3 Vz SCH-i535 - rooted on stock ROM
ACTIONS: Running iptables script at boot. Verified with unlocker from gplay. I believe mine is a separate issue from tagged traffic.
ISSUE1: not advertising SSID when tethering
SYMPTOM: Unsuccessful when enabling Mobile Hotspot or USB/BT tethering because it checks for a subscription before enabling

UNRELATED ISSUE2: cannot connect to PC during normal operation [only in CWM Recovery and using Kies/connects to "CDROM" not SD filesystem]

I think the native 4.1.2 UI on 3.0.31kernel is different than the upgraded versions. If anyone has any info or guidance in figuring out tethering on native 4.1.2, that would be awesome!

Do you have root? Have you tried the app "WiFi tether for root users"? With Android 4.1.2 this should work ...

makaluch

May 21, 2007
Do you have root? Have you tried the app "WiFi tether for root users"? With Android 4.1.2 this should work ...

Yes, rooted with the toolkit. Wifi Tether for Root doesn't work. It doesn't advertise an SSID and I cannot get to any of the built-in usb/bt tether settings without a subscription.

popo72

Oct 18, 2011
Hi...just getting crazy with my tethering...I have htc sensation with Cm 10.1 and jb 4.2.2 and tethering works perfectly without any fix...then I bought an iOcean x7 mkt 6589 quad core with jb 4.2.1 and tethering is not working with same sim..if I use another carrier sim it works on iOcean as well...the sim not tethering on iOcean is TIM one...I tried all the workaround methods and app but no luck....does anyone have suggestions....

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
Hi...just getting crazy with my tethering...I have htc sensation with Cm 10.1 and jb 4.2.2 and tethering works perfectly without any fix...then I bought an iOcean x7 mkt 6589 quad core with jb 4.2.1 and tethering is not working with same sim..if I use another carrier sim it works on iOcean as well...the sim not tethering on iOcean is TIM one...I tried all the workaround methods and app but no luck....does anyone have suggestions....

Have you tried another sim? It can be a bug of your new phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This issue probably requires Developer actions to be solved … anyway I’m posting on General section cause it’s not a properly developer thread …

Since Android 4.1.2 there’s a problem in tethering for all people that has a carrier plan that doesn’t include Tethering. I’m on Vodafone Italy with “mobile internet” plan (2GB/month). I have never had problem with tethering my data connection from my phone to a laptop or tablet but starting from Android 4.1.2 upgrade I noticed that when I activate built in wifi hotspot the APN is automatically and secretly changed from the default one (mobile.vodafone.it) to a new one (web.omnitel.it) that charges my bill with additional costs … It happened to me in the past using branded phone with branded firmware, but after rooting and switching to CyanogeMod firmware the problem was solved … now I’m on an unlocked Galaxy Nexus with CM or others custom ROM …

On 4.1.2 I bypassed this problem using dedicated app “Wifi Tether for Root”, but now on 4.2.1 also this app doesn’t work anymore (ok this is another issue, here you can find more details).

Well … rather bad … I did a lot of research on the web, and here is the most interesting thing I found:

A person working for Roger carrier stated this (see original thread and full post here ):
    Android 4.1.2 introduced that ability (and requirement) for Android devices to properly flag when data is for tethering purposes. This is the first time this has been used in a vanilla release of Android.
    For everyone frustrated by this update to Android: Android respecting a carrier's request to know if data is for a tethered device IS NOT A BUG. IT IS A FEATURE. It's not a feature for users like you and me, it's a feature for manufacturers like Samsung and HTC, so they can in turn build devices that carriers can have more control over.

So, to be clear, THIS IS NOT A BUG. Google INTENDED to respect carrier tethering rules.

So, can someone confirm this behavior? Is there some Developer that can intercept the section of Android OS code that apply this flag to the data download and find the way to avoid this annoying issue??
    I want to tether again without pay additional money! I’m paying for 2GB/month! What do you care, Vodafone, how I use it??

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: SOLVED!
    After some time someone found a solution, at least for all users with ROOT:
    Here is the solution script
    Here is a method to setup the script on boot

So did anybody ever make a script?
    What us everybody doing for tethering?

I'm using "Script Manager - SManager" app:
    - Create a txt file with any text editor (I used Jota, my favorite txt editor), enter the correct script and save the file on your sdcard.
    - Then open SManager, long tap on your script file and select "open as" --> "script/executable".
    - Now add "Su" and "Boot" options, save and you are ok. Your script will run with SU permission at every reboot.

Enjoy your tethering!
    R: [ISSUE] “Free” Wifi Tether forbidden since Android 4.1.2

Excellent news for those getting this issue!

Type this command from terminal emulator (root required):

su -c "iptables -tnat -A natctrl_nat_POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/16 -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE"

Found solution here:
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=38563

Worked for me on Xylon ROM
    ;)

Ciao Furius!
    I think I'm in the same situation as you with Vodafone Italy :silly:

I'm running CyanogenMod 10.1 (so Android 4.1.2) with a Samsung Galaxy S2 and can't get the wi-fi thetering work: all seems ok, other devices can see and connect to the hot-spot, but can't get any data from it...

I thought it was some problems with the nightly builds of CM, but other people are reporting that wi-fi tethering is correctly working.

Now I read your message while searching some information about the Galaxy Nexus (my Galaxy S2 developed a faulty loudspeaker, and I'm considering to get it repaired under warranty then sell it and buy a Galaxy Nexus, I've found it at 269€) and maybe we have the same problem, but I've got Vodafone to lock the web.omnitel.it APN, to prevent costly surprises...

I think problems arise with operators that make distinctions between different kinds of APN (like Vodafone Italy with web.omnitel.it and mobile.vodafone.it) and not with the ones that don't care about the APN you use (to my knowledge, TIM Italy doesn't care about the APN you use)

I'll keep an eye on this topic and let you know if I find some news!

With Vodafone Italy, even if you force the "mobile.vodafone.it" APN, the one for the mobile phone navigation, you will be charged for tethering, using the 4.2.1 native tethering.

See this post for more detail.

BTW, we have to find where google added the "flagging" feature, in the native tethering application.

Do someone have any idea where to find it?
    Please read forum rules before posting
    Questions go in Q&A
    Thread moved
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator