• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Issue with unlocking bootloader

Search This thread

kangaroo1221

Jan 9, 2020
If anyone needs help with changing to Pixel Experience custom ROM, feel free to contact me

it took me 9 hours of struggle to change my k20 pro to pixel experience

And the reason for the long hours is that there are quite some misinformation on the internet..

Took me much trial and error to figure it out

I'm typing this on my pixel experience rom, am a happy user so far

Last edited:

MajorBoobage

Nov 22, 2018
If anyone needs help with changing to Pixel Experience custom ROM, feel free to contact me

And the reason for the long hours is that there are quite some misinformation on the internet..

Yes you are right.
Development for this device is a nightmare with the different versions and firmwares. Lots of conflicting, incomplete, outdated, and wrong documentation on a process that shouldn't be so hard.
Took me also a few hours of frustrating trial and error to put LOS 17.1 on it, following different sets of instructions very closely, trying every possible build combination.

For comparison my first ever flashing two years ago took me less than 20 minutes on LOS official build simply because the documentation was good and the rom stable.

But now everything is finally working, time to break it by attempting to remove all gapps and use MicroG :D

Reactions: kangaroo1221

yeaka

Jun 1, 2015
I had the Your MI ID is not associated with a phone number. So I disabled Wifi and used my data. Went to Developer Options-Mi Unlock Status and wait for it to link my phone number. Still had same error. So on PC I added a Recovery number. I had to use another phone number because my current number couldn't go through (error saying number linked to another account, which is false). Make sure you get 100% for your Mi account. Then i tried to unlock again. Because I created a Mi account 5 years ago I got instantly unlocked.

mchtt

Jun 12, 2013
so after a lot of frustration and numerous tries here is what worked for me, not sure if these matter or just a coincidence but.
1. Sign out from your device.
2. Using a pc browser, delete your xiaomi account (this is under "settings" in my info)
3. On your phone, create a new xiaomi account with your phone number, say yes to all prompts (mi cloud, activate find my phone).
4. On your phone browser, go to account.xiaomi.com, enter the credentials, add your email.
5. Go to mi unlock status in developer options and associate the number (allow oem unlock should also be on).
6. Boot to fast boot.
7. In mi unlock tool, paste your phone number, do not type it!
This seems to be important to me, because due to some bug, when i type my number there is no international prefix drop down menu, when i pasted the number (after typing it 100s of times today) this international prefix dial code suddenly appeared. Making me believe there was a mismatch in the number which caused the problem.
8. Connect phone and proceed to unlock. The timer is now 168 hours.

Hope it helps.

thanks a lot !

Paulinaiml

Jul 22, 2020
So after a lot of frustration and numerous tries here is what worked for me, not sure if these matter or just a coincidence but.
2. Using a PC browser, delete your xiaomi account (this is under "settings" in my info)
3. On your phone, create a new xiaomi account with your phone number, say yes to all prompts (Mi cloud, activate find my phone).
4. On your phone browser, go to account.xiaomi.com, enter the credentials, add your email.
5. Go to Mi unlock status in developer options and associate the number (allow OEM unlock should also be on).
6. Boot to fast boot.
7. In Mi unlock tool, paste your phone number, do not type it!
This seems to be important to me, because due to some bug, when I type my number there is no international prefix drop down menu, when I pasted the number (after typing it 100s of times today) this international prefix dial code suddenly appeared. Making me believe there was a mismatch in the number which caused the problem.

Hope it helps.

I tried deleting the account and it says "too many accounts are associated with phone number *******. Wait 6 months after deleting" etc, though I only have this single account linked with that number. Is it okay to delete and use same number or I'll get automatically blocked after deleting?

Last edited:

prashanth_

Mar 18, 2012
chennai
Xiaomi Redmi 8A

Can confirm this worked for me too, after lot of other suggested methods found online. I didn't even face any issues with creating a new Mi account using the same phone number. As for the country code in Mi Unlock Tool, typing the first 6 digits or so brought up the prefix drop down, as an alternative to copy/pasting the phone number.
Now I'm waiting for 168 hours happily. :)

Thank you @MajorBoobage

MrTheV

Mar 28, 2011
Paris
[Solved]
Hello

After more than 2 days trying to unlock the BL of my new Poco X3 Pro (that I previously wiped, booted, bypassed most of the configuration steps but Wifi, Developer options, USB debugging, OEM Unlock enabling... and associated my existing Mi Account to it, in particular with Mi Unlock Status binding), and getting the infamous Sorry, your MI ID is not associated with a phone number error, I tried the following :
- Removed my mi account from the phone
- Created a new mi account from my laptop with a new e-mail address as the login
- Received a validation email with a validation link, clicked on it
- From my laptop browser, associated my phone number to the new mi account
- Received an SMS with a code, entered it
- On the phone, added the new Mi account to the phone using the e-mail address as the identifier
- Made sure that all authorizations were enabled, including "Localize my device"
- On the phone, went to developer options
- Disabled USB debugging
- Enabled Bootloader unlock
- Went to Mi unlock status and associated the phone to the account from there (Add account and device)
- Switched off the phone and booted in bootloader / fastboot mode (Volume down+ power down)
- Connected the phone with USB to the laptop
- Ran batch_unlock.exe as an admin
- The phone was detected OK
- In batch_unlock signed in with the new mi account using the email address as an identifier (accepted all cookies)
- The interface asked for a validation code sent by SMS, so I rebooted the phone in normal mode
- Got the code, entered it, the interface was happy with it
- Switched off the phone again and booted in bootloader / fastboot mode (Volume down+ power down)
- Connected it to the laptop, it was detected OK
- clicked "Unlock" and.."
It worked, I have now to wait for 168 hours to be able to try to actually unlock the phone

I surely miss the fastboot oem unlock command that always worked OK with my previous phones (Nexus 4, OnePlus 1, OnePlus 5).
What a mess and source of problems (for what reason ? why does Xiaomi need to "track down" the unlocked devices this way ?). I guess this will be my 1st and my last Xiaomi phone, just for this reason.

Hope this will help some other users having the same problem...

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
Do you want to be more specific?
Anyway, I'll expand a little bit.
Start the process again.
Login to a Mi account on the phone.
Go to the Mi Unlock Status, in the developer options.
Turn off WiFi and and hit the button.

Now when using the Mi Unlock Tool, use the phone number of the SIM in the phone to login.
Did not make any changes to the Mi account and don't change the Mi account connected to the phone.
I can't use sim card cause my baseband and IMEI number is unknown so it means i can't unlock bootloader?.
Cause that's one of the necessity

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
It's a new SIM and I think it's cause my baseband version and IMEI number is unknown that's why it's not showing..
Got any leads on how to do it?
I can't also unlock my bootloader cause of the SIM issue too. Cause I need to leave my mobile data on to be able to use it. It's frustrating and stressful though

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
The Capital above the Lower one...
So your on stock, your sim is not being detected, wipe it clean, but before you put it back in, gently push down on the wee metal plate that holds sim in place, not too much, just enough to push the sim enough to get better contact with the pins the sim slides onto?

If you cant open fone, insert sim, then gently push in a folded peice of paper thick enough to do what I wrote above, you just need better contact between sim and connection ppoints in the slot, the folded paper obviously goes on the side of the sim with NO contacts, ie, the other side where you cant see the chip, then try

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
So your on stock, your sim is not being detected, wipe it clean, but before you put it back in, gently push down on the wee metal plate that holds sim in place, not too much, just enough to push the sim enough to get better contact with the pins the sim slides onto?
Then what about my IMEI number and the baseband version number?
How do j go about that?

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021

If you cant open fone, insert sim, then gently push in a folded peice of paper thick enough to do what I wrote above, you just need better contact between sim and connection ppoints in the slot, the folded paper obviously goes on the side of the sim with NO contacts, ie, the other side where you cant see the chip, then try
My sim can't be detected as far as those numbers aren't there. Tried watching YouTube videos but since everything links with each other that's the problem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeap, it definitely looks like the problem is on Xiaomi, because I think I've pretty much tried almost everything by now.

With that said, I'm just going to try and try again every 24 hours or so, or wait for an actual working solution.

So after a lot of frustration and numerous tries here is what worked for me, not sure if these matter or just a coincidence but.
    2. Using a PC browser, delete your xiaomi account (this is under "settings" in my info)
    3. On your phone, create a new xiaomi account with your phone number, say yes to all prompts (Mi cloud, activate find my phone).
    5. Go to Mi unlock status in developer options and associate the number (allow OEM unlock should also be on).
    6. Boot to fast boot.
    7. In Mi unlock tool, paste your phone number, do not type it!
    This seems to be important to me, because due to some bug, when I type my number there is no international prefix drop down menu, when I pasted the number (after typing it 100s of times today) this international prefix dial code suddenly appeared. Making me believe there was a mismatch in the number which caused the problem.

Hope it helps.
    No, I used the VPN specifically when associating my account in Developer Options for the bootloader unlock process. Unless the process changed recently it was necessary to perform the account association in Developer Options immediately before any attempt to unlock the bootloader. If you get an error message saying you need to wait 14 days then after 14 days you go through the entire bootloader unlock process again from step one--you don't just go straight to fastboot and the unlocking tool.
    Please everyone ignore this.
    After your wait period, DO NOT go through the whole process. If you do the account association again in the developer options, you WILL reset the timer.
    When the wait period is finished, you ONLY need to go straight to fastboot and the unlocking tool.
    I would freakin love a solution to this. I've tried every single solution I've seen over the web and nothing has worked so far.
    Do you want to be more specific?
    Anyway, I'll expand a little bit.
    Start the process again.
    Login to a Mi account on the phone.
    Go to the Mi Unlock Status, in the developer options.
    Turn off WiFi and and hit the button.

Now when using the Mi Unlock Tool, use the phone number of the SIM in the phone to login.
    Did not make any changes to the Mi account and don't change the Mi account connected to the phone.

Sure, I will be more specific:
    The device is Chinese K20 Pro Premium 12/512
    The OS is up to date.
    My phone number is associated and shown correctly both on the phone and on the web, and I get an 2FA texts correctly when trying to make changes to my account.
    The SIM card is in, wlan is off and data is on.
    Developer options "allow oem unlock" is on.
    Account is bound in "Mi unlock status"
    Mi unlock tool and drivers are up to date.
    I connect my phone in fastboot.
    device is verified, but unlock gives an error at 99% "Mi ID is not associated with a phone number"

Changing the phone number and changing it back doesn't help.
    Signing in and out doesn't help.
    Using "find my phone" doesn't help.
    Using Mi ID/phone number/email to log in the unlock tool makes absolutely no difference.

Maybe Xiaomi's verification servers are DDOSed, otherwise no idea what I am doing wrong.

Yes you are right.
    Development for this device is a nightmare with the different versions and firmwares. Lots of conflicting, incomplete, outdated, and wrong documentation on a process that shouldn't be so hard.
    Took me also a few hours of frustrating trial and error to put LOS 17.1 on it, following different sets of instructions very closely, trying every possible build combination.

For comparison my first ever flashing two years ago took me less than 20 minutes on LOS official build simply because the documentation was good and the rom stable.

But now everything is finally working, time to break it by attempting to remove all gapps and use MicroG :D