Issue with unlocking bootloader

Search This thread

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
The Capital above the Lower one...
Do what I said FIRST, in order to deal with what you asked. I need to know your sim is useable first.

baseband tells me its your fone, imei could also be fone, but I ask you to check sim, because the sim has an imei too, dunno about the baseband on sim, thats in the bootloader that I know of, prob wrong in this last point.

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
I Get your frustration, but dont type anything else until you do as I ask, put sim in phone, then fold a peice of paper and push it in the sim slot WITH the folded paper on the side with the logo on it, not the chip side, if you do this, then turn on fone...?

Your sim WILL work.

Robbo.5000

I Get your frustration, but dont type anything else until you do as I ask, put sim in phone, then fold a peice of paper and push it in the sim slot WITH the folded paper on the side with the logo on it, not the chip side, if you do this, then turn on fone...?

Your sim WILL work.
No. His SIM won't work. Read his posts and register the fact that he's lost his IMEI and baseband information. Without those it's never going to work.

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
I get that, but rather than tell him first to reflash stock then use SN writer, I thought it smarter to check the sim first, which is actually quite obvious in that I state quite clearly baseband is NOT in sim !!!

The fact he's on stock...

No positive answers?

If he dont answer back, to say otherwise, I was correct.

Personally I would go into engineer menu to obtain the imei/baseband version, but then no-one else mentioned that either....?

Robbo.5000

Then what about my IMEI number and the baseband version number?
How do j go about that?
How long have you had the phone and where did you get it from?
To be in the situation you're in is normally a result of wiping partitions you shouldn't be touching, or things going wrong during flashing.
It sounds like you've got the phone second hand and you've been sold a dud.
Flashing a fastboot MIUI ROM could possibly fix things, but the only way you can do that, in your situation, is by EDL flashing. This can only be done by someone with an authorised account. If there's a Xiaomi service centre you can try and get them to flash it for you.

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
How long have you had the phone and where did you get it from?
To be in the situation you're in is normally a result of wiping partitions you shouldn't be touching, or things going wrong during flashing.
It sounds like you've got the phone second hand and you've been sold a dud.
Flashing a fastboot MIUI ROM could possibly fix things, but the only way you can do that, in your situation, is by EDL flashing. This can only be done by someone with an authorised account. If there's a Xiaomi service centre you can try and get them to flash it for you.
Ohh thanks.
I just got the phone by the way from a friend but it was like this when he got it too but he was too reluctant to change it.
So are you trying to say I can't do the edl flashing by myself?
But I know we've tried flashing the phone before but before that time it hasn't been working. I even have another make and model of this small phone but that one doesn't even come up at all. It just shows the mi starting page when the phone comes up till whenever the battery dies and why is that also and what can I do?
So please I really need help my phone's worth isn't very appreciable by people because the SIM card doesn't detect.
And about the Xiaomi service centre there's no one close here. It's another city so I don't think I can afford to do it.

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
I get that, but rather than tell him first to reflash stock then use SN writer, I thought it smarter to check the sim first, which is actually quite obvious in that I state quite clearly baseband is NOT in sim !!!

The fact he's on stock...

No positive answers?

If he dont answer back, to say otherwise, I was correct.

Personally I would go into engineer menu to obtain the imei/baseband version, but then no-one else mentioned that either....?
I tried going into engineer mode to try to get it but my phone isn't rooted so I didn't see the CDS information option so I tried rooting my phone to try to do it but the rooting is so hard and I don't even understand it. And about the paper into SIM card slot that you told me about I did it and it didn't work and once again my baseband version and IMEI number are still unknown.
So please anything else?

Robbo.5000

Ohh thanks.
I just got the phone by the way from a friend but it was like this when he got it too but he was too reluctant to change it.
So are you trying to say I can't do the edl flashing by myself?
But I know we've tried flashing the phone before but before that time it hasn't been working. I even have another make and model of this small phone but that one doesn't even come up at all. It just shows the mi starting page when the phone comes up till whenever the battery dies and why is that also and what can I do?
So please I really need help my phone's worth isn't very appreciable by people because the SIM card doesn't detect.
And about the Xiaomi service centre there's no one close here. It's another city so I don't think I can afford to do it.
In the nearly 2 1/2 years I've had this phone I've never seen a method to successfully EDL flash the phone. There's been a few claims made, that possibly have worked for older Xiaomi phones, but I've never seen anyone have any success. The only way to do it is with an authorised Xiaomi account. There are people who can flash the phone for you, by remoting on to your PC and flashing the phone using their account. These people will charge you for this and it's against XDA policy to provide details of these people. Ask in the telegram group for this phone and you should have some success. It typically costs around US $25-30, but I've seen people charged $40.
Keep in mind that doing this should normally work, but without knowing how it got in to this state, it isn't guaranteed.
If you want to go with this option, you will need to look for videos on how to put the phone in to EDL mode. You need to take off the back and bridge 2 pins near the battery.
For your other Xiaomi phone, ask in the correct forum for that model.

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
In the nearly 2 1/2 years I've had this phone I've never seen a method to successfully EDL flash the phone. There's been a few claims made, that possibly have worked for older Xiaomi phones, but I've never seen anyone have any success. The only way to do it is with an authorised Xiaomi account. There are people who can flash the phone for you, by remoting on to your PC and flashing the phone using their account. These people will charge you for this and it's against XDA policy to provide details of these people. Ask in the telegram group for this phone and you should have some success. It typically costs around US $25-30, but I've seen people charged $40.
Keep in mind that doing this should normally work, but without knowing how it got in to this state, it isn't guaranteed.
If you want to go with this option, you will need to look for videos on how to put the phone in to EDL mode. You need to take off the back and bridge 2 pins near the battery.
For your other Xiaomi phone, ask in the correct forum for that model.
So please what's the correct forum for me to ask about my other phone?
And thanks for your information. It was really helpful. Let me just be hopeful but if it doesn't work that way I'll just get a small phone and put SIM cards in it.
That's all but either way thanks

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
I tried going into engineer mode to try to get it but my phone isn't rooted so I didn't see the CDS information option so I tried rooting my phone to try to do it but the rooting is so hard and I don't even understand it. And about the paper into SIM card slot that you told me about I did it and it didn't work and once again my baseband version and IMEI number are still unknown.
So please anything else?
I don't understand how do you mean 'rooting' if you don't unlock BL first?!

This phone looks to be terribly screwed up (by someone who did flashing and so, but not knowing and understanding how things work - sorry to say so)

Are you really on stock?
Please go to Settings, My device, and post your screenshot to see about which phone are you talking about and which ROM do you really have

Also, go to All Spec page and post the screenshot from there too, to see what does it display for Android, MIUI, Kernel and Baseband versions

Also go to SIM card and Mobile Settings and into SIM card settings and post your screenshots from there

And some simple questions:
- try with another SIM card
- phone must not be in Airplane mode or Mobile turned off

[Btw, in another post you mentioned (if I recall correctly) that SIM card works in another phone, "that it works for WiFi"?!
That's pointless, you don't need SIM card for WiF, it doesn't prove anything about the SIM card]

Last edited:

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021

This phone looks to be terribly screwed up (by someone who did flashing and so, but not knowing and understanding how things work - sorry to say so)

Are you really on stock?
Please go to Settings, My device, and post your screenshot to see about which phone are you talking and which ROM do you really have

Also, go to All Spec page and post the screenshot from there too, to see what does it display for Baseband version

Also go to SIM card and Mobile Settings and into SIM card settings and post your screenshots from there

[Btw, in another post you mentioned (if I recall correctly) that SIM card works in another phone, "that it works for WiFi"?!
That's pointless, you don't need SIM card for WiF]

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-06-08-07-18-540_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-06-08-07-18-540_com.android.settings.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 12

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
In my country I can use my sim card to browse for mobile data and I can also take it out to put it in my mifi to browse.

Are you really on stock?
Please go to Settings, My device, and post your screenshot to see about which phone are you talking about and which ROM do you really have

Also, go to All Spec page and post the screenshot from there too, to see what does it display for Android, MIUI, Kernel and Baseband versions

That's pointless, you don't need SIM card for WiF, it doesn't prove anything about the SIM card]

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
In my country I can use my sim card to browse for mobile data and I can also take it out to put it in my mifi to browse.
Ok, so you posted one screenshot, showing you have Mi Play phone - this forum here is for K20 Pro / Mi 9T Pro (but usually unlocking BL works the same way on all Xiaomi phones)

Can you post those screenshots from:
- SIM card and mobile networks
- SIM card settings

And did you try another SIM card. Maybe also that phone is locked to the particular provider (and cannot work with any SIM card)

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
Ok, so you posted one screenshot, showing you have Mi Play phone - this forum here is for K20 Pro / Mi 9T Pro (but usually unlocking BL works the same way on all Xiaomi phones)

- SIM card settings

And did you try another SIM card. Maybe also that phone is locked to the particular provider (and cannot work with any SIM card)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-06-08-21-00-367_com.android.phone.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-06-08-21-00-367_com.android.phone.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 12

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021

- SIM card settings

Yes I've tried another sim card. My IMEI number is also unknown too. So I feel thats one of the reasons it doesn't show

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
Yes I've tried another sim card. My IMEI number is also unknown too. So I feel thats one of the reasons it doesn't show
Screenshot shows No SIM card - maybe that connector is broken (if it doesn't recognize the other SIM card as well), who knows

Unfortunately, if the second hand phone is boought over Internet, then you don't know the 'history' of that phone and do the things work...

Udanny

Nov 5, 2021
Screenshot shows No SIM card - maybe that connector is broken (if it doesn't recognize the other SIM card as well), who knows

Unfortunately, if the second hand phone is boought over Internet, then you don't know the 'history' of that phone and do the things work...
I bought it new but it was having problems booting so a friend had to flash it for me .
So are you saying the IMEI and the baseband version being unknown has nothing to do with it?
And I don't think the connector is bad cause my SD card shows on the same tray and it's just my sim cards that don't show

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeap, it definitely looks like the problem is on Xiaomi, because I think I've pretty much tried almost everything by now.

With that said, I'm just going to try and try again every 24 hours or so, or wait for an actual working solution.

So after a lot of frustration and numerous tries here is what worked for me, not sure if these matter or just a coincidence but.
    1. Sign out from your device.
    2. Using a PC browser, delete your xiaomi account (this is under "settings" in my info)
    3. On your phone, create a new xiaomi account with your phone number, say yes to all prompts (Mi cloud, activate find my phone).
    4. On your phone browser, go to account.xiaomi.com, enter the credentials, add your email.
    5. Go to Mi unlock status in developer options and associate the number (allow OEM unlock should also be on).
    6. Boot to fast boot.
    7. In Mi unlock tool, paste your phone number, do not type it!
    This seems to be important to me, because due to some bug, when I type my number there is no international prefix drop down menu, when I pasted the number (after typing it 100s of times today) this international prefix dial code suddenly appeared. Making me believe there was a mismatch in the number which caused the problem.
    8. Connect phone and proceed to unlock. The timer is now 168 hours.

Hope it helps.
    No, I used the VPN specifically when associating my account in Developer Options for the bootloader unlock process. Unless the process changed recently it was necessary to perform the account association in Developer Options immediately before any attempt to unlock the bootloader. If you get an error message saying you need to wait 14 days then after 14 days you go through the entire bootloader unlock process again from step one--you don't just go straight to fastboot and the unlocking tool.
    Please everyone ignore this.
    After your wait period, DO NOT go through the whole process. If you do the account association again in the developer options, you WILL reset the timer.
    When the wait period is finished, you ONLY need to go straight to fastboot and the unlocking tool.
    I would freakin love a solution to this. I've tried every single solution I've seen over the web and nothing has worked so far.
    I personally already tried this, and no bueno. Even tried using the MI username and such.

After hitting the button in the Mi Unlock Status screen, check the Mi ID of the account logged into the phone, you should be able to see this in the Mi account details settings.
    Then enter this Mi account ID as the user ID in the Mi Unlock Tool, using your normal password. This, in theory, should work.
    If it does and you get the 168 hours wait message do not, under any circumstance, make any changes to the Mi account, or change the Mi account logged in to the phone, or hit the button again in the Mi Unlock Status screen.
    If anyone needs help with changing to Pixel Experience custom ROM, feel free to contact me

it took me 9 hours of struggle to change my k20 pro to pixel experience

And the reason for the long hours is that there are quite some misinformation on the internet..

Took me much trial and error to figure it out

I'm typing this on my pixel experience rom, am a happy user so far

Yes you are right.
    Development for this device is a nightmare with the different versions and firmwares. Lots of conflicting, incomplete, outdated, and wrong documentation on a process that shouldn't be so hard.
    Took me also a few hours of frustrating trial and error to put LOS 17.1 on it, following different sets of instructions very closely, trying every possible build combination.

For comparison my first ever flashing two years ago took me less than 20 minutes on LOS official build simply because the documentation was good and the rom stable.

But now everything is finally working, time to break it by attempting to remove all gapps and use MicroG :D