Issues with G5

Search This thread

dmainas

Mar 2, 2017
Hi all this is my first post,

I have owned an LG G5 September and it has been flawless. A couple of days ago while plugging my G5 out of the charger, the tap to change usb connection persisted and from doing research on the forums it seems like this can occur at random without much being able to be done to fix it. Since then I have experienced extremely high battery usage from android system and I have noticed that when going into the lock screen of the phone, I am given the prompt to scan my finger with a red exclamation mark, as if i have already tried and failed to scan my finger. However the fingerprint scanner does work regardless, what i have noticed is that when scanning a new finger in settings, the phone vibrates very rapidly somehow fully registering a fingerprint in less than a second rather than vibrating and telling you to change positions of the finger. Also the fast charging capability has stoped working as a result of my phone thinking its plugged into the computer.

To sum it up, is it really possible that a single unplugging of the cable can cause the above problems? Also do any of you think that replacing the bottom port and hence the usb port (the root of the issue?) will fully resolve all problems?

I have already:
  • Reset the phone to factory settings
  • Restored from backups
  • Put it in rice to remove any moisture

Please ask me if any other information is required to come to a possible solution.

Cheers

Nick216ohio

Sep 8, 2014
Sounds like either got wet somehow or battery defect. My battery got wet and was having same issues. Did you get it wet? Don't use it untill problem fixed. Water + electronic= rip

Sent from my LGE LG-H830 using XDA Labs

Mr.Ronik

Oct 16, 2014
hi man same problem here. usb notice randomly appears even if it isn't plugged and also fast charging doesn't work. I've used compressed air to clean usb port and seems that the notice doesn't appear anymore, but the fast charging still not work

Nick216ohio

Sep 8, 2014
hi man same problem here. usb notice randomly appears even if it isn't plugged and also fast charging doesn't work. I've used compressed air to clean usb port and seems that the notice doesn't appear anymore, but the fast charging still not work

Either got damaged or water damage. Probably get a new battery will fix that. I'd be a little is hesitant using the phone if it is water damage, if I was you. Might wanna take battery out untill you get new one.

Last edited:

dmainas

Mar 2, 2017
Well I got the new battery, unfortunately this hasnt resolved any issues. Next step is to try a new bottom piece, that should do the trick if not rip G5 and money.

gerciolisz

Feb 22, 2013
Gdańsk
It has sth with usb socket in your phone. Look if there is some dust or anything. Clean it carefully with needle or sth while phone is power off. Battery drain is because phone thinks it is USB cable connected, when USB is connected phone can't enter into deepsleep state. If anything help try to replace this part which holds battery and have USB socket. I think it is still cheaper than sending phone to service.

lioner7

Dec 5, 2010
Sound Problems

I have random sound problems since i have updated my LG G5 (H850) to Nougat.

Specifically some times the notification sounds not working. (fb messenger - sms - ringtone) Its like i have muted the sounds but all the sounds are enabled.
Also i have noticed that when this problem occuring when i try to watch videos from youtube or video streaming sites, its shows me an error message and i cant watch the videos.

When i restart the phone it fixes. It think its a software problem because i have not those problems at the past running marshmallon.

At the moment i am running official h850 20c update. I have tried factory reset but the problem insists on.

Have you ever noticed something like that or heard anything about those problems? (i have also a friend that he has the same problems with his LG G5 since he updated to Nougat)

dmainas

Mar 2, 2017
Why not ship it to LG?

Basically the story goes as this: I bought it from one of the biggest electronics retailers here in the Netherlands (Mediamarkt) and I asked them if they can carry out reparations and they said it needs to go to LG. So I attempt to sign up my G5 for the reparation programme LG has, only to be told at the end of the form that the G5 is not being serviced here anymore. I call LG's customer service and I was given the reason "due to extremely low sales the product is not supported anymore in the region", LG also told me that Mediamarkt has to carry out reparations because there is a mutual agreement between the two even though Mediamarkt claims they are unable to carry out repairs and no such agreement exists. So as a consumer I am stuck between these two big companies and the standard 2 year guarantee is basically useless, which is why I am hoping a new bottom port will bring everything back to what it was.

It has sth with usb socket in your phone. Look if there is some dust or anything. Clean it carefully with needle or sth while phone is power off. Battery drain is because phone thinks it is USB cable connected, when USB is connected phone can't enter into deepsleep state. If anything help try to replace this part which holds battery and have USB socket. I think it is still cheaper than sending phone to service.

Yep I agree completely that it most likely has to do with the bottom port, I also believe a new bottom port will fix most if not all issues. I dont have many options anyway I need to diagnose the phone myself otherwise I've lost my money and device.

Nick216ohio

Sep 8, 2014
Basically the story goes as this: I bought it from one of the biggest electronics retailers here in the Netherlands (Mediamarkt) and I asked them if they can carry out reparations and they said it needs to go to LG. So I attempt to sign up my G5 for the reparation programme LG has, only to be told at the end of the form that the G5 is not being serviced here anymore. I call LG's customer service and I was given the reason "due to extremely low sales the product is not supported anymore in the region", LG also told me that Mediamarkt has to carry out reparations because there is a mutual agreement between the two even though Mediamarkt claims they are unable to carry out repairs and no such agreement exists. So as a consumer I am stuck between these two big companies and the standard 2 year guarantee is basically useless, which is why I am hoping a new bottom port will bring everything back to what it was.

Yep I agree completely that it most likely has to do with the bottom port, I also believe a new bottom port will fix most if not all issues. I dont have many options anyway I need to diagnose the phone myself otherwise I've lost my money and device.

Aka you've been screwed over. That situation right there would make me not wanna ever deal with either company ever again. You should try to talk to someone at LG higher up, like manager or something.

LG tried screwing my brother over with a promotion. Well after talking to manager he got things fixed.

LittlePlumb

Jun 29, 2016
Google Pixel 2
Go back to media markt and be a pain in the arse.
If you ask customer service nicely they more often will feed you with standard replies. Tantrums tend to help, sadly.
Double check how things are legally. Quoting the law also helps and or asking for a supervisor.
Good luck