Issues with the battery life :(

Search This thread

skyline91

Oct 7, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21
That is really strange, signal is still really good so shouldn't be that regardless

Yea give GSAM a go and see what changes between a day of 3g and day of 4g.

I wish I didn't have such crap signal at home, as I've got no idea what it'll be like when we're allowed outside again :unsure:

Comparison between 3G and 4G. I only see difference in 4G in Android System part, it was using more time Accelerometer, Magnetometer and Barometer. Everything else 3G used longer since. And funny part is that most of the day when i was using 4G I was at home. When i was using 3G i went for a walk and i was in gym. 🧐

image (1).jpg
image (2).jpg
image (3).jpg
image (4).jpg
image.jpg

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Comparison between 3G and 4G. I only see difference in 4G in Android System part, it was using more time Accelerometer, Magnetometer and Barometer. Everything else 3G used longer since. And funny part is that most of the day when i was using 4G I was at home. When i was using 3G i went for a walk and i was in gym. 🧐

View attachment 5234205
View attachment 5234207
View attachment 5234209
View attachment 5234211
View attachment 5234213

Really strange as your % drain per hour is twice as high with the 4g, but no obvious difference in what's doing it.

Few questions;
1. Have you tried 4G but turn off VoLTE? Seen a few people saying it fixed their standby drain.
2. Also if you're on WiFi you should turn on WiFi calling under phone >s ettings as stops you being connected to WiFi and mobile
3. Standard s21?
4. Exynos or SD?
5. Do you ever see 'cameraservice_worker' under android system wakelock details?

joakimbo

Feb 18, 2015
Screenshot_20210228-000254_Device care.jpg

This simply isn't good enough. I've tried a factory reset. I'm on AUB8, latest February. I expect more than 4 hours SOT on a flagship device in 2021. Its gotten worse after last update tho. If Samsung doesn't fix this, I'm gonna return it.

Edit: S21 Exynos.

Last edited:

Blkjck11

Oct 23, 2007
I haven't read every post here, so I'm not sure if people are just referring to the exynos version or the snapdragon. But I just got the Snapdragon version about a week ago and noticed incredibly horrible battery life from the start after setting it up and installing apps. For me after a bunch of different troubleshooting steps it turns out it was windscribe VPN, that was draining my battery so much. And yes I know apps are always a possible issue, but coming for my last phone the OnePlus 7t pro, I had zero to very minimal issues with the same VPN. Literally getting 2.5 to 3 times the battery life over the course of a day, today l, after uninstalling it uninstalling. Don't have any screenshots to compare. but I'm just saying check the various apps you have on your phone, because this seems to be the one that was affecting me on my Snapdragon s21

xdafly

Jul 3, 2010
joakimbo said:
If Samsung doesn't fix this, I'm gonna return it.

Couple things to try before you do that.

1. Watch the YT videos (many featured on xda already, easy to find using search terms like setting up...new S21 now what ... change these S21... etc etc ) and modify your Settings accordingly

2. Run ADB AppControl Extended (well worth the $7) and disable apps & services.

Have now "tuned up" (or down..) multiple S7 tablets and S21 phones and all are having very little battery drain.

naufrager

Nov 4, 2015
Paris
I was about to get an S21 Exynos, but I'm really worried about the battery life you guys are showing. I mean, it's a flagship, if it comes down to having to disable all the flagship functionalities and double tap to wake and so on it's not gonna make it for me unfortunately, even tho I was really bluffed by the camera.

Anyone had just better results with time and updates without having to disable everything?

skyline91

Oct 7, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21
Really strange as your % drain per hour is twice as high with the 4g, but no obvious difference in what's doing it.

Few questions;
1. Have you tried 4G but turn off VoLTE? Seen a few people saying it fixed their standby drain.
2. Also if you're on WiFi you should turn on WiFi calling under phone >s ettings as stops you being connected to WiFi and mobile
3. Standard s21?
4. Exynos or SD?
5. Do you ever see 'cameraservice_worker' under android system wakelock details?
1. I have turned it off now and i need to test it more to see the results.
2. My provider doesn't have vowifi.
3. Standard s21
4. Exynos

JCMate10

Dec 7, 2017
Couple things to try before you do that.

1. Watch the YT videos (many featured on xda already, easy to find using search terms like setting up...new S21 now what ... change these S21... etc etc ) and modify your Settings accordingly

2. Run ADB AppControl Extended (well worth the $7) and disable apps & services.

Have now "tuned up" (or down..) multiple S7 tablets and S21 phones and all are having very little battery drain.
Thank you for making it a lot easier for me to decide if I should buy the S21 (again) or go with something else... It is madness that any of that is needed on a 2021 flagship device, made by a company who have been making phones since forever. I hope someone from Samsung is reading this thread...

skyline91

Oct 7, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21

Few questions;
3. Standard s21?
4. Exynos or SD?
This is battery life when i turn off volte, maybe a little better, but still far away from 3G.

Screenshot_20210301-220605_Device care.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cool. This was not the case before the patch? Did you have any issues with battery at all before?
    I had issues. I think this patch and debloating really helped...
    To all people with base S21 Exynos: Do you experience excessive battery drain on mobile data? I've tried troubleshooting this for weeks. Some are saying they get awesome battery life, others says it's garbage.

Ive tried factory reset. Tweaking settings etc, but no matter what, when not connected to WiFi, the battery drain is like 3x worse than any previous phone when on mobile data.
    For me the battery life is fine if i switch it to use 3G, if i switch it to LTE then the standby drain is horrendous
    Same here. I'm waiting for the next update, if it's not gonna improve anything I'll probably sell the phone and get back to my p30 pro
    Hi. Did you try to turn off 5G? My battery was horrible, did a lotta things but I think the one that made the difference was changing 5G to 4G. Now im having 8hs+ SoT
    Tomorrow I´ll change my screen from 60hz back to 120hz to see if there will be any difference.

I hope you can solve this problem.
    Thanks a lot and keep us updated. I'm most probably not gonna waste any more time trying to fix this. If I buy a flagship phone, I just want it to work as intended and not disable functionality that I paid for.
    Thanks for the tip. I've just uninstalled 55 apps recommended by the "medium" setting. Let's see if it helps.
    Let us know if it helps.

What I've noticed the most after a couple of months use. The 4G/5G modem on this phone drains a lot of battery. Things have gotten better, but phone is hotter and battery zips fast when on mobile data. Worse than my previous phones.
    This is quite embarrassing. Flagship phone, people recommending to disable apps and switching a low tier network that's a decade old, not even enough for it to survive a day.

I'm taking my pitchforks to samsung hq.
    I tipped the two biggest tech news sites in Norway about this issue. They actually posted article on this matter. They've been in contact with Samsung today, and Samsung said they are aware of the issue, and working on an update.
    Last nights update for Exynos version seems ro have fixed the battery life for me. I am back from work and I have 50% battery with 3.5h SOT.

I have put my screen back up to WQHD and switched on AOD now. Hope it remains this good in the upcoming days :)
    Screenshot_20210305-175337_Software update.jpg
    Meh, bitching here does nothing. Y'all need to do what I did; play with it and work it out.
    Find work arounds for the bad coding.
    Had I not taken the -time- and trouble to do so my 10+ still be a battery hog.
    Just gave you 3 or 4 good solutions. Devise your own... as each variant and user have their own unique issues and requirements.

Stock Androids are fun to play with... and almost crash proof.
    Lol, a lot easier than doing regedits🤣
    Battery life is bad with 4G turned on, so samsung should fix that, either they have some problem with baseband or they have wakelocks triggerd by 4G. With 3g battery life is pretty decent with bluetooth and gps on, 120hz and sync turned for all apps. What's the point of having smartphone and flagship if you have to turn off every functionality?
    Amazed that all you allegedly tech-savvy guys are worrying about battery life with a phone that's less than a month old. The AI has to learn your usage pattern before battery management can kick in that takes about two weeks and the battery will not reach its full capacity for about a month that's why AccuBattery reports it wrong. Then some of you are doing resets or worse so the AI has to start learning again. Sad

You think AI does some magic? 😁

IMG-20210205-WA0010.jpg
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone