Issues with the battery life :(

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I've come from three to four years of using some Chinese devices, including Huawei, Xiaomi and Realme, which use the same flagship Snapdragon chips as the main Android OEMs (bar Huawei) do and the battery life is remarkably good on those. So coming to the S21, the battery life certainly feels average and this is compounded by the fact that charging is very slow. I guess I got spoiled by Realme's 28m 0-100 charge times.

So far, I love the design and the feel in hand of this device. Brand recognition too, if there's such a vain thing. But there's a lot of love hate confusion I'm getting with it. I got tired of buying Nexus and Pixel and Sony devices and tried the Chinese offerings, and I must say I was pleasantly impressed. Good to be back with this very attractive little powerhouse. Wish the software was not so taxing on the battery.

Actually the OP screwed up. The Note 10+ is one on the best phones Samsung has released in years. A big plus is it's running on Pie... or should be.
I get good battery life on my Note 10+ after optimizing it, which was really fun, not🤣

Samsung's are the most customizable stock phones out there. Like optimizing them it takes time and effort. Once done it's good to go🥰

Reactions: subhani

wasz12345

May 10, 2014
Hi, I have the galaxy S21 256gb exynos version, im getting very bad battery performance..
How do you guys get like 5 hours sot?
Screenshot_20210511-080423_Device care.jpg

Only 4 hours sot and went to 2%..
It drain so fast..
Also, I almost can't charge with slow charger, when trying to charge with regular charger i got from 1 hour of charging only 7%

subhani

Dec 9, 2010
Hi, I have the galaxy S21 256gb exynos version, im getting very bad battery performance..
How do you guys get like 5 hours sot?
View attachment 5305797

Only 4 hours sot and went to 2%..
It drain so fast..
Also, I almost can't charge with slow charger, when trying to charge with regular charger i got from 1 hour of charging only 7%
4 hours over 2 days? Or over what period of time?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
4 hours over 2 days? Or over what period of time?
WhatsApp and Instagram are sucking battery as well as privacy.
Google Play Services is a habitual offender as well; I keep it disabled unless I need it.
Playstore*, Google Backup Transport and Google Framework are package blocked or disabled.

With all that junk running that battery may be in good condition🤣

*unless needed

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
This isn't like it's faulty. That's the kind of battery life expected on small powerful phones. It could certainly be better. Small iPhones have the same problem. The Pixel 5 is the exception due to a mid range power friendly 7 series chip.
On faster, more powerful platforms poorly designed apps can abuse that speed and it can rapidly add up as excessive battery consumption. You won't notice a slow down most times but the phone will run warm as it runs the extra cpu cycles.
Good if you need a hand warmer otherwise not.

lawonga

Oct 28, 2010
Got the may update. I think they fixed battery life, it seems to be about 20% better than previously.

They also fixed my camera lag too. Yay!

Exynos here.

Reactions: blackhawk

obamaforever

May 26, 2014
Is it only possible to download the modules tht is in magisk or can I install modules that I find outside magisk too?

Is there any good battery saving module?

obamaforever

May 26, 2014
If AOD is set to tap on (or turned off) and nothing is running in the background (as it should be if optimized) usage at night will be about 2-3%.
If AOD is always on, about 0.7-1%@ hour.
Wow. Good.

I have debloated my phone heavily and still have 4 % battery drain on idle every hour even with mobile data turned off. How can I get 2 % every hour? What have you done?

AOD is off of course.

What can I do to improve it?

Last edited:

obamaforever

May 26, 2014
On my S21 Exynos I'm finding the battery life fairly good.

It's mostly on wifi but 4G and Volte is on I get about 5.5 to 6.5 SOT with 120hz and normal mode (not power saving).

If left alone the the standby time is good, dropping about 0.4% per hour.

The one thing I have noticed that seems to kill the battery is using the camera, this looks to use about 30% an hour, fine if you're capturing an odd snap but it mounts up if you try and use it a lot.

It even uses a lot of power just with the camera app open and the viewfinder showing waiting to take a picture.
How do you guys get less than 1 % per hour on idle? I havet about 5 % every hour and it is heavily debloated. A lot of bloatware is uninstalled.

Can someone explain this?

SOT and standby are equal but I have not used The phone as long as it says.

Why?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-132859_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-132859_Device care.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

davedes

May 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21
My S21 battery stats from yesterday. Running July apdate. Using galaxy max Hz with screen adaptive display set to 96/48Hz. Bixby routine set to turn off Bluetooth, mobile data and location services when connected to wifi.

Screenshot_20210824-001111_Device care.jpg

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
All that is diasbled, but still the drain. My Parental controll menu is even gone. I cannot see SOT anymore. How do I get that back?
Did I debloat to much maybe?
Android Turbo needs Google play Services to run I believe.
Accubattery gives better SOT history so that loss of functionality doesn't even concern me anymore.
I also use Galaxy Labs Battery Tracker.

Tracking down the responsible apks/services can be challenging. Clearing the app cache and seeing what pops up first can sometimes be helpful. A lot of junk is running under Android Services too, these can be difficult to ferret out.
All cloud apps will eat bandwidth and power with screen off.

Get rid of WhatsApp, FB, Instagram, Twitter, any shopping apps, etc. They are malware, battery hogs and security risks that don't need to run as apps. If the forum, site etc can't be accessed/used online through the browser, don't trust it. FB I'm looking at you🧐
No clue what load Parental Control puts on resources as I have no need for it.

Karma Firewall is a great freeware app that uses almost no battery. With Android 10 and above it's valuable logging feature isn't fully usable although it still will block. There may be a work around. I'm still running on Pie on a stock AT&T variant.

Its not one thing; I've use many different tools, methods and settings to optimize my 10+ over the last 1.5 years. It's ongoing.
Do not update the OS as it only changes the playing field making optimization much harder and generally provides little security improvement. Most malware is introduced by the user... there's no saving dumb bunnies🤭

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-114758_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-114758_AccuBattery.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20210824-120228_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-120228_Settings.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 101

ems328i

Jul 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
Android Turbo needs Google play Services to run I believe.
Accubattery gives better SOT history so that loss of functionality doesn't even concern me anymore.
I also use Galaxy Labs Battery Tracker.

Tracking down the responsible apks/services can be challenging. Clearing the app cache and seeing what pops up first can sometimes be helpful. A lot of junk is running under Android Services too, these can be difficult to ferret out.
All cloud apps will eat bandwidth and power with screen off.

Get rid of WhatsApp, FB, Instagram, Twitter, any shopping apps, etc. They are malware, battery hogs and security risks that don't need to run as apps. If the forum, site etc can't be accessed/used online through the browser, don't trust it. FB I'm looking at you🧐
No clue what load Parental Control puts on resources as I have no need for it.

Karma Firewall is a great freeware app that uses almost no battery. With Android 10 and above it's valuable logging feature isn't fully usable although it still will block. There may be a work around. I'm still running on Pie on a stock AT&T variant.

Its not one thing; I've use many different tools, methods and settings to optimize my 10+ over the last 1.5 years. It's ongoing.
Do not update the OS as it only changes the playing field making optimization much harder and generally provides little security improvement. Most malware is introduced by the user... there's no saving dumb bunnies🤭
Great call on the Private DNS, thanks very much!

Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is quite embarrassing. Flagship phone, people recommending to disable apps and switching a low tier network that's a decade old, not even enough for it to survive a day.

I'm taking my pitchforks to samsung hq.
    I tipped the two biggest tech news sites in Norway about this issue. They actually posted article on this matter. They've been in contact with Samsung today, and Samsung said they are aware of the issue, and working on an update.
    Meh, *****ing here does nothing. Y'all need to do what I did; play with it and work it out.
    Find work arounds for the bad coding.
    Had I not taken the -time- and trouble to do so my 10+ still be a battery hog.
    Just gave you 3 or 4 good solutions. Devise your own... as each variant and user have their own unique issues and requirements.

Stock Androids are fun to play with... and almost crash proof.
    Lol, a lot easier than doing regedits🤣
    Battery life is bad with 4G turned on, so samsung should fix that, either they have some problem with baseband or they have wakelocks triggerd by 4G. With 3g battery life is pretty decent with bluetooth and gps on, 120hz and sync turned for all apps. What's the point of having smartphone and flagship if you have to turn off every functionality?
    Last nights update for Exynos version seems ro have fixed the battery life for me. I am back from work and I have 50% battery with 3.5h SOT.

I have put my screen back up to WQHD and switched on AOD now. Hope it remains this good in the upcoming days :)
    Screenshot_20210305-175337_Software update.jpg
    Amazed that all you allegedly tech-savvy guys are worrying about battery life with a phone that's less than a month old. The AI has to learn your usage pattern before battery management can kick in that takes about two weeks and the battery will not reach its full capacity for about a month that's why AccuBattery reports it wrong. Then some of you are doing resets or worse so the AI has to start learning again. Sad

You think AI does some magic? 😁

IMG-20210205-WA0010.jpg