It Seems That OOS 11 Beta is Delayed Due to Finally Having to Fix The OP7T Decryption Error

Search This thread
Jul 31, 2016
Houston
As per a statement posted on XDA, the OnePlus Nord OOS11 beta should be coming sometime this week, though the builds for the 7 series are still delayed as OnePlus is finally confronting the dreaded decryption issue that has plagued the series since its inception. This means, that, likely after Android 11 is released for our devices, that we should be able to have a fully functional TWRP along with more custom ROM development on the way. This is very good news for the tinkering community. Hope more is to come in the near future.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-111311.jpg
    Screenshot_20210107-111311.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: hachamacha

gboybama

Nov 12, 2008
I mean, we can hope, but at this point, I am afraid it's still just wishful thinking.

Jul 31, 2016
Houston
I mean, we can hope, but at this point, I am afraid it's still just wishful thinking.
Well, seeing as it's the very reason for the delay, it wouldn't make sense for OnePlus to announce that they were delaying the beta to fix the encryption issue just for them to not fix it. If that were the case, they would just not say it, you know?

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
You're a couple days late;
And;

>This means, that, likely after Android 11 is released for our devices, that we should be able to have a fully functional TWRP

except decryption that is, blobs are the same so I am not confident TWRP will be able to decrypt on OOS11. We have to wait and see, but they may have broken it on a hardware level.

> along with more custom ROM development on the way
No, it does not mean this.

Reactions: rob420p

rob420p

Dec 16, 2013
Bmore
OnePlus 7T
Samsung Galaxy A12
And;

>This means, that, likely after Android 11 is released for our devices, that we should be able to have a fully functional TWRP

except decryption that is, blobs are the same so I am not confident TWRP will be able to decrypt on OOS11. We have to wait and see, but they may have broken it on a hardware level.

On a good note it seems a couple more roms have come about

gboybama

Nov 12, 2008
Well, seeing as it's the very reason for the delay, it wouldn't make sense for OnePlus to announce that they were delaying the beta to fix the encryption issue just for them to not fix it. If that were the case, they would just not say it, you know?

Hoping I'm wrong of course, but the pessimistic scenario is that OP forgot there was an issue with the 7T and was caught flatfooted while testing the update on their various devices. Then, they start looking for a cheesy workaround that doesn't undo the original problem.

Considering the recent, less than impressive, decisions coming out of OnePlus, I'm feeling it's more likely that some quick, unsatisfying shortcut to patch the problem is rolled out. I can't imagine a world where they dedicate the precious time of a couple of heroic developers to undo a tricky design mistake on an old device.

Heck, that's not even the worst scenario. If they were really caught with their pants down on this and it looks like the update is really difficult to apply, I wouldn't put it past their managers to conclude that the 7T is a niche phone with a declining base and they could decide to just leave it on Android 10, saying it couldn't be updated.

Again, though, I hope I'm wrong!

Reactions: wfred and Aswin08
Jul 31, 2016
Houston
Hoping I'm wrong of course, but the pessimistic scenario is that OP forgot there was an issue with the 7T and was caught flatfooted while testing the update on their various devices. Then, they start looking for a cheesy workaround that doesn't undo the original problem.

Considering the recent, less than impressive, decisions coming out of OnePlus, I'm feeling it's more likely that some quick, unsatisfying shortcut to patch the problem is rolled out. I can't imagine a world where they dedicate the precious time of a couple of heroic developers to undo a tricky design mistake on an old device.

Heck, that's not even the worst scenario. If they were really caught with their pants down on this and it looks like the update is really difficult to apply, I wouldn't put it past their managers to conclude that the 7T is a niche phone with a declining base and they could decide to just leave it on Android 10, saying it couldn't be updated.

Yeah, I'm hoping for the best. In the original article, it says that had to team up with Qualcomm to begin fixing the issue, so I'm thinking it's both a hardware-software problem, but I wouldn't know since I'm not very literate when it comes to technical issues like encryption. But we shall see! I really just want Oxygen OS on Android 11 since most of the ROMs right now have bugs (as far I've seen—haven't been able to find a ROM that doesn't irritate me in one way or another).

Reactions: gboybama

rob420p

Dec 16, 2013
Bmore
OnePlus 7T
Samsung Galaxy A12
I've read somewhere that the encryption issue has been fixed.and that it's assumed closed betas ether started or will start soon I'll see if I can find the article or if someone knows it feel free to post it

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've read somewhere that the encryption issue has been fixed.and that it's assumed closed betas ether started or will start soon I'll see if I can find the article or if someone knows it feel free to post it
For them yes.
But here's the thing.

Let's assume it's the same issue.

They probably broke or implemented encryption differently on a hardware level, hence contacting Qualcomm to help them workaround (not fix) the issue. We as in users, don't know what broke or is different, and since we don't have the source code we can't possibly know how OnePlus worked around it to decrypt data.

Let's hope something else was broken / implemented differently and not in a hardware level, then maybe it's fixed.

谷歌原生

Mar 12, 2016
Essential Phone
Google Pixel 4 XL
In fact, I have tried the first version of the closed beta version of oosA11. I tried to flash the English version and the Chinese version of twrp in this version. His decryption work still cannot be decrypted. This is only the first closed beta version. Maybe in the future public beta version. Will solve the problem. I don’t know at least the decryption problem in the first closed beta version or not. Currently they are undergoing the second closed beta version test. I don’t know if the second closed beta version has solved the problem. Maybe in the future public test. Version will solve this problem!

gboybama

Nov 12, 2008
In fact, I have tried the first version of the closed beta version of oosA11. I tried to flash the English version and the Chinese version of twrp in this version. His decryption work still cannot be decrypted. This is only the first closed beta version. Maybe in the future public beta version. Will solve the problem. I don’t know at least the decryption problem in the first closed beta version or not. Currently they are undergoing the second closed beta version test. I don’t know if the second closed beta version has solved the problem. Maybe in the future public test. Version will solve this problem!
I'm moving into the camp of saying I'd bet serious money they don't fix the encryption issue.

谷歌原生

Mar 12, 2016
Essential Phone
Google Pixel 4 XL
[QUOTE =“ gboybama,:84324093,:1342510”]

Yes, I don’t think they will solve the problem. They used a weird decryption method to push their OS to update when they upgraded to 11. They might not solve this problem fundamentally.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For them yes.
    But here's the thing.

Let's assume it's the same issue.

They probably broke or implemented encryption differently on a hardware level, hence contacting Qualcomm to help them workaround (not fix) the issue. We as in users, don't know what broke or is different, and since we don't have the source code we can't possibly know how OnePlus worked around it to decrypt data.

Let's hope something else was broken / implemented differently and not in a hardware level, then maybe it's fixed.
    As per a statement posted on XDA, the OnePlus Nord OOS11 beta should be coming sometime this week, though the builds for the 7 series are still delayed as OnePlus is finally confronting the dreaded decryption issue that has plagued the series since its inception. This means, that, likely after Android 11 is released for our devices, that we should be able to have a fully functional TWRP along with more custom ROM development on the way. This is very good news for the tinkering community. Hope more is to come in the near future.
    And;

Yeah, I'm hoping for the best. In the original article, it says that had to team up with Qualcomm to begin fixing the issue, so I'm thinking it's both a hardware-software problem, but I wouldn't know since I'm not very literate when it comes to technical issues like encryption. But we shall see! I really just want Oxygen OS on Android 11 since most of the ROMs right now have bugs (as far I've seen—haven't been able to find a ROM that doesn't irritate me in one way or another).