- Feb 15, 2010
You used 1000% more words than you need to. You are free to use or not use many of the available kernels out there.Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on an issue I'm having with attachments in the gmail app - I haven't seen anyone else report it in this thread but this kernel is my current focus in trying to solve my issue. BTW, love the kernel and what you've done with the clocking - makes it just soooo zippy!
Ok, so I rooted the phone the day I got it (the day it came out!) and all was fine for a few weeks. On the 13th of July I applied 1.1.0 of this kernel and all still seemed fine until I noticed that a timekeeping program (gbaHours) I use to track my work hours was failing to attach its datafile to my gmails - the file shows as an attachment but has no size displayed and no attachment arrives with the sent email. I only do this once a week, hence the time taken determining the possible cause.
Trying to add the file via gmail itself failed also using Astro File Manager, only ES File Explorer using "Normal Android Way (ForMMS, Gmail,...)" option seems to work. After numerous factory resets, gmail uninstalls and reinstalls, it dawned on me that the attachments seemed to work fine up until I installed this kernel - please don't think I'm trying to attach blame, I just want to identify the cause and fix this and this event is the next along the track of deductions.
So has anyone else experienced this problem on this kernel? Please could someone who has Astro and this kernel installed please confirm if they can attach a file to a gmail (simple csv in my case) using Astro to select the file and also try using gallary to select an image (both fail for me).
Before you ask... yes, I have tried the latest 1.2.0 - no difference. I did also take a nandroid backup straight after root, plus before and after applying 1.1.0. Unfortunately (you knew it was coming!) before thinking that the kernel could be the cause I have applied CWM 6 which seems to consider my post-root and pre-kernel nandroids have bad MD5 hashes, despite Titanium Backup being quite happy to read them, so I can't even go back to the post-root/pre-kernel state and start over. The post-kernel nandroids are fine - but how could a kernel update affect the way the MD5 hash is calculated?!?!? Wierd!
I don't know if the kernel update could even cause this sort of gmail issue but this is where I'm currently at, hence my questions.
If anyone can point my to a safe recovery image for the (Australian/Vodafone) i9300 that will revert me to a new just rooted state, I'd appreciate it. If not I think I'll have to go CM9 (I have 7 on my Desire) and to be honest I quite like what Samsung have done with their launcher.
Sorry for the long post but I like to try to give as much info as possible. Meanwhile I'll go see if it's safe to downgrade CWM from 6 to 5 and if that will cure the MD5 hash issue I'm having.
Thanks in anticipation.
EDIT: D'oh! What a tool I am! I completely forgot that cwm needs the original directory file name (or at least one without spaces) - I add a suitable description to the end of my key backups. Trying to recover my nandroid through ROM Manager gave me the clue when it bitched about the spaces in the directory name. I have now managed to restore the pre-kernel update backup and the fault still exists so I can happily say that the kernel is not to blame!
My only guess now is that either the internal or external sdcards have a fault so it's format time! Thanks for listening, folks!
EDIT AGAIN: Success... I've been able to restore my post-root nandroid and gmail is working again, now I just have to identify what caused it to fail. In the meanwhile, if anyone needs a clean nandroid (CWM 6) of a fully reset Australian S3, taken straight after root, just PM me and I'll find somewhere to put it for you to grab.