I've just purchased a OnePlus 8

Search This thread

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
Hi all,

I currently have a OnePlus 5, purchased when it was first announced. It's still doing sterling service, but is now getting to be 3 years old. I was in the market for a new phone as the OP5's GPS is not that reliable (at least, not on my phone) and I wanted something different. I was looking at the OP 7T from last year. Seemed OK.

However, I watched the intro from OnePlus yesterday and was struck by three points:
1. It has the latest of everything. Therefore, it should have fewer hardware bugs (e.g. GPS)
2. It has 5G - which I can get on my current Vodafone contract
3. It will get support from OnePlus for longer.

What finally swayed my decision was the offer, for the same list price, of a box set with the new headphones and a case included - oh, and delivery by tomorrow.

So, I bit the bullet and ordered one - I went for the top model 8 (12Gb/25Gb) as I want the storage but I don't believe the extra £200 for the top model 8 Pro is worth it.

I'll report back here when it arrives.

Alan

Reactions: nouse1981

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
It arrived today in an enourmous box. What I ordered was one of the early 'pop up' offers which, for the list price, gives me two extra bumper cases (cyan and black) as well as a clear one plus the new OnePlus Z headphones. It came with 51% battery charge and, when set up, immediately did an OS upgrade to the latest.

The unboxing pictures are below.

Last edited:
Reactions: k4ustu3h

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
Congratulations.
I though that stock would only be shipped late April? Where did you order it from?

Wonder if they do International shipping too

I ordered it from OnePlus themselves in the UK, from their web site. There was something on there about early orders get a 'pop up' box - which I managed to get.

As to shipping overseas, sorry - you'll have to ask them. Go to www.oneplus.com/uk and see what you can get.

Alan

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
I also did a "OnePlus Switch" to move my apps and data across from my old phone. It all went very smoothly.

I only have two issues

Minor one - I lost all my old conversations from WhatsApp.
Not so minor one (but not OnePlus's fault). I have an app which connects to a camera at my fathers house so I can see when he is sitting down and that he is OK. I've forgotten the password so I have to keep my old phone, just for that app!

Alan

Reactions: Majed aka Soul Guy

Majed aka Soul Guy

Feb 21, 2011
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
I also did a "OnePlus Switch" to move my apps and data across from my old phone. It all went very smoothly.

I only have two issues

Not so minor one (but not OnePlus's fault). I have an app which connects to a camera at my fathers house so I can see when he is sitting down and that he is OK. I've forgotten the password so I have to keep my old phone, just for that app!

Alan
Thanks.
Regarding whatsApp, if you log back in from your old device and do a backup for WhatsApp, then delete WhatsApp from your new phone and re-dowload it again, during the setup of WhatsApp, you'll get the option to restore.
I do it all the time and you can even choose if you wanna backup just chats or include photos or videos (or both) as well.
Works like a charm so long as you have cloud space.
Regarding you second issue with the camera app, can't you just select *forgot password "?
For future reference, I highly recommend using one of the password saving apps.

Hope the Whatsapp solution works for you.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
Thanks.
Regarding whatsApp, if you log back in from your old device and do a backup for WhatsApp, then delete WhatsApp from your new phone and re-dowload it again, during the setup of WhatsApp, you'll get the option to restore.
I do it all the time and you can even choose if you wanna backup just chats or include photos or videos (or both) as well.
Works like a charm so long as you have cloud space.
Regarding you second issue with the camera app, can't you just select *forgot password "?
For future reference, I highly recommend using one of the password saving apps.

Hope the Whatsapp solution works for you.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks - I'll give it (whatsapp backup) a go.
No, unfortunately there is no way to say you've forgotten the password. It's a cheap chinese monitoring camera and the app doesn't have that option.

Alan

ashubais

Mar 3, 2017

I only have two issues

Alan

To restore WhatsApp data you need to copy the msgstore file which will be in WhatsApp > Databases folder.
Clear all WhatsApp app data from new device or reinstall the WhatsApp.
Then Copy the latest msgstore file (after backup) from old phone and then paste the file to the exact same location in your new OnePlus.

Now during the setup it will fetch the data.

That's all, Enjoy!

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
To restore WhatsApp data you need to copy the msgstore file which will be in WhatsApp > Databases folder.
Clear all WhatsApp app data from new device or reinstall the WhatsApp.
Then Copy the latest msgstore file (after backup) from old phone and then paste the file to the exact same location in your new OnePlus.

Now during the setup it will fetch the data.

That's all, Enjoy!

Thanks.

On the new device there is no database directory. Can I just add it without re-installing (which I don't want to do)

Alan

ashubais

Mar 3, 2017
I did that - closed off and restarted WhastsApp (without a reinstall) and it did NOT see the old data.

Alan

If Database folder is not there then you can manually create database folde and add the msgstore file in it.

It will not detect chat until you clear WhatsApp data or reinstall WhatsApp.

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
If Database folder is not there then you can manually create database folde and add the msgstore file in it.

It will not detect chat until you clear WhatsApp data or reinstall WhatsApp.

Thanks but I've gone too far now to start again.

I've saved the pictures and videos from the old phone now and wiped it.

Cheers

ALan

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
Congratulations you got yourself a punchhole. I'll have to pass this time. Bought the red magic 5g. Yes i rather have the worst software before i have a hole in my screen.

GraveDigger176

Oct 17, 2011
Germany
HTC One X
HTC Leo
My OnePlus 8 arrived today for me is it a upgrade when you come from normal 7 like me. The scrolling smoothness on 90hz is really nice and way better compare to the normal 7. The curved screen is not that bad as I thought. The punch hole camera is needing to get used.But all in all to me is a nice phone which runs pretty fast and smooth. So will see whether I can like the punch hole or not, if not I sent the phone back :good:

Sent from my OnePlus8 using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I currently have a OnePlus 5, purchased when it was first announced. It's still doing sterling service, but is now getting to be 3 years old. I was in the market for a new phone as the OP5's GPS is not that reliable (at least, not on my phone) and I wanted something different. I was looking at the OP 7T from last year. Seemed OK.

However, I watched the intro from OnePlus yesterday and was struck by three points:
    1. It has the latest of everything. Therefore, it should have fewer hardware bugs (e.g. GPS)
    2. It has 5G - which I can get on my current Vodafone contract
    3. It will get support from OnePlus for longer.

What finally swayed my decision was the offer, for the same list price, of a box set with the new headphones and a case included - oh, and delivery by tomorrow.

So, I bit the bullet and ordered one - I went for the top model 8 (12Gb/25Gb) as I want the storage but I don't believe the extra £200 for the top model 8 Pro is worth it.

I'll report back here when it arrives.

Alan
    It arrived today in an enourmous box. What I ordered was one of the early 'pop up' offers which, for the list price, gives me two extra bumper cases (cyan and black) as well as a clear one plus the new OnePlus Z headphones. It came with 51% battery charge and, when set up, immediately did an OS upgrade to the latest.

The unboxing pictures are below.

I only have two issues

Alan
    My OnePlus 8 arrived today for me is it a upgrade when you come from normal 7 like me. The scrolling smoothness on 90hz is really nice and way better compare to the normal 7. The curved screen is not that bad as I thought. The punch hole camera is needing to get used.But all in all to me is a nice phone which runs pretty fast and smooth. So will see whether I can like the punch hole or not, if not I sent the phone back :good:

Sent from my OnePlus8 using XDA Labs

I've changed the screen setting so the camera hole is above the main display now. I don't notice the reduced screen space and it means I really don't notice the 'punched hole'.

Alan