It's (beyond) time for me to get a more current phone. Here's my requirements:
  • 5.2 - 5.5"
  • rootable (bootloader unlockable)
  • full 64bit hardware (not just the CPU) + 64bit (ARM) Android
  • at least 32 GB internal storage, better 64 GB
  • 3 or more GB RAM
  • 13 or more Megapixel camera resolution
  • precise GPS module for Navigation
  • natively supporting at least Android 9 for native EdXposed capability, better Android 10
  • stable custom ROM with active current support available (preferred: LineageOS)
  • SD card slot (dual sim optional)
  • needn't be new, can be used
  • LTE is fine - no need for 5G (5G would be fine thanks to downwards capability with LTE/ 4G)
  • colors: white, silver, dark green, blue/ lavender (no black)
  • NOT a Huawei
Do above criteria ring any bell? Which phone(s) would you suggest to me?

Last edited:

PhotonIce

Jan 23, 2022
Samsung Galaxy J5
Redmi 9
Hi, noticed you already bought your phone, but maybe next time if you need advice, then also mention your budget.
Either way, the Nokia 6.1 isnt a great phone, if you can sell it then I'd recommend going for a Poco M3 (Xiaomi) in the USD220 range, or a Realme C3 if you wanna get cheap (around USD 150). Both are available brand new, they have similar processor performance, large screens, good battery life etc. The Poco M3's camera is much better than the Realme C3's, but thats the price you have to pay to reduce the cost. Both Poco's and Realme's software sucks in my opinion, but you're going to use a custom ROM anyways, so that won't be an issue for you. Android 12 is available through custom ROMs for both phones, and they have plenty of support on XDA.

Reactions: RootedLee

RootedLee

Sep 1, 2017
Hi @PhotonIce thanks for your recommendations. Both, the Xiaomi Poco M3 and the Realme C3, are 6,5" and exceed my 5.2" - 5.5" size range. I've used a Nokia 6.2 for half a year last year, so I'll see in the next few months how it'll smaller sibling will perform. My needs are rather low, with Navigation apps (Magic Earth, TomTom) setting the top bar for performance (no gaming or such). At this point I can leave making pixel-sharp photos of UFOs to others .. ;)

Reactions: PhotonIce

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, noticed you already bought your phone, but maybe next time if you need advice, then also mention your budget.
    Either way, the Nokia 6.1 isnt a great phone, if you can sell it then I'd recommend going for a Poco M3 (Xiaomi) in the USD220 range, or a Realme C3 if you wanna get cheap (around USD 150). Both are available brand new, they have similar processor performance, large screens, good battery life etc. The Poco M3's camera is much better than the Realme C3's, but thats the price you have to pay to reduce the cost. Both Poco's and Realme's software sucks in my opinion, but you're going to use a custom ROM anyways, so that won't be an issue for you. Android 12 is available through custom ROMs for both phones, and they have plenty of support on XDA.
    Hi @PhotonIce thanks for your recommendations. Both, the Xiaomi Poco M3 and the Realme C3, are 6,5" and exceed my 5.2" - 5.5" size range. I've used a Nokia 6.2 for half a year last year, so I'll see in the next few months how it'll smaller sibling will perform. My needs are rather low, with Navigation apps (Magic Earth, TomTom) setting the top bar for performance (no gaming or such). At this point I can leave making pixel-sharp photos of UFOs to others .. ;)
    Though in that range, I'd still highly recommend the Mi Note 3 (if you can get it). It has a much better SoC, a 12mp camera with OIS and a 12mp telephoto, and a 16mp selfie camera.
    The mi a1 isnt as impressive, I guess it's best if you keep your nokia
    Also the Xiaomi Mi Note 3 doesn't have a headphone jack.
    True, but you didn't mention that in your list of requirements, so you can't really blame me for that.