• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

J7 crown downgrade and or get msl code no root

Search This thread

timba123

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
LG V20
Hello. I own the J7 crown/sm-s767vl. Its a variant of the J737. Looking for info on forcing downgrade from Pie to Oreo.... If its even possible. Also we have the combo fac engineer firmware for it but its binary 4 Oreo just like the Pie is binary 4. Is it possible to find my msl/spc code with the combo fac enginner firmware? I ask because there are logs that it can collect. I appreciate it. Thanks!

beyondiq2

Nov 6, 2019
I might can help...

Hello. I own the J7 crown/sm-s767vl. Its a variant of the J737. Looking for info on forcing downgrade from Pie to Oreo.... If its even possible. Also we have the combo fac engineer firmware for it but its binary 4 Oreo just like the Pie is binary 4. Is it possible to find my msl/spc code with the combo fac enginner firmware? I ask because there are logs that it can collect. I appreciate it. Thanks!

I have the phone as well. Still can't find a way to get root. But, I installed the factory binary eng firmware... and it downgraded the phone from Pie to Oreo.

I'd be glad to gather any logs you want. Yes, it can do a crash dump and all sorts of logs. I'm a novice when it comes to trying to root an android, but I've learned a lot.

I've "adb install"ed several applications. For a browser, Chromium is the one I got working. Seems the firmware boots you out of most apps installed (dialer, magisk, etc.)

Any questions, let me know, I've been playing with it for 2 weeks now.

Really wish I had the original firmware to flash... the firmware sites are so dodgy.:eek:

Strange thing is it the fac eng firmware mentions SM-J737, so it looks like it might have been rebranded. On the GSMmobile forum, one of the supervisors mentioned that SM-J767U firmware ending in ARK would work.

There is another thread about rooting this device, but it seems they gave up. I haven't. I have it unlocked. Fac eng firmware allows to go into settings and unlock the bootloader. Bingo!

timba123

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
LG V20
I have the phone as well. Still can't find a way to get root. But, I installed the factory binary eng firmware... and it downgraded the phone from Pie to Oreo.

I'd be glad to gather any logs you want. Yes, it can do a crash dump and all sorts of logs. I'm a novice when it comes to trying to root an android, but I've learned a lot.

I've "adb install"ed several applications. For a browser, Chromium is the one I got working. Seems the firmware boots you out of most apps installed (dialer, magisk, etc.)

Any questions, let me know, I've been playing with it for 2 weeks now.

Really wish I had the original firmware to flash... the firmware sites are so dodgy.:eek:

Strange thing is it the fac eng firmware mentions SM-J737, so it looks like it might have been rebranded. On the GSMmobile forum, one of the supervisors mentioned that SM-J767U firmware ending in ARK would work.

There is another thread about rooting this device, but it seems they gave up. I haven't. I have it unlocked. Fac eng firmware allows to go into settings and unlock the bootloader. Bingo!

We tried all that. I was in that forum. I don't think that the boot loader unlocks on the fac eng rom. It seems so. A few TWRP was ported and even with fac eng rom it fails secure check. I have recently gifted my J7 crown to someone so I don't have it anymore. I got a Samsung A10e lol with same bs but worse maybe. Smh

grasshoppa420

Mar 10, 2013
I have MULTIPLE versions of the stock firmware, but the device’s bootloader is higher than the one trying to flash, hence, downgrading is NOT possible. After flashing a combination firmware (S767VLUDU8ATG1) to my J7 Crown, I’ve been unable to flash ANY stock firmware. The only version I can find which is even close to the ‘8’ version of bootloader now on my device is S767VLUDS7BTE2, (Version 7 of the bootloader) which says succeeded when flashing, but doesn’t, still booting me into Factory Firmware (Combination FW)?!

Any suggestions? Device model: SM-S767VL

Last edited:

Joeh6922

Dec 21, 2018
I have MULTIPLE versions of the stock firmware, but the device’s bootloader is higher than the one trying to flash, hence, downgrading is NOT possible. After flashing a combination firmware (S767VLUDU8ATG1) to my J7 Crown, I’ve been unable to flash ANY stock firmware. The only version I can find which is even close to the ‘8’ version of bootloader now on my device is S767VLUDS7BTE2, (Version 7 of the bootloader) which says succeeded when flashing, but doesn’t, still booting me into Factory Firmware (Combination FW)?!

I dunno if you ever found the right firmware, but here it is in case you or anyone else needs it.
I found this thread while searching for an answer to the same problem you had.

here's the firmware: samfrew.com/download/Galaxy__J7__Crown__-TracFone-__/ueeb/TFN/S767VLUDS8BTI2/S767VLTFN8BTI2

Peace!

Reactions: grasshoppa420
Oct 18, 2021
Houston, Tx
www.facebook.com

Damn GrassHoppa how you gonna get fired on your day off? Na I made that same mistake with the same combination firmware. Except I didn't put 2 and 2 together even after flashing every version of stock I could get my hands on lol. I'm looking for eng-root firmware as we speak.

Reactions: grasshoppa420

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I dunno if you ever found the right firmware, but here it is in case you or anyone else needs it.
    I found this thread while searching for an answer to the same problem you had.

here's the firmware: samfrew.com/download/Galaxy__J7__Crown__-TracFone-__/ueeb/TFN/S767VLUDS8BTI2/S767VLTFN8BTI2

Peace!

Damn GrassHoppa how you gonna get fired on your day off? Na I made that same mistake with the same combination firmware. Except I didn't put 2 and 2 together even after flashing every version of stock I could get my hands on lol. I'm looking for eng-root firmware as we speak.