[Jailbreak]Take Note Verizon - Root/Jailbreak/Recovery

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Update: this will not work on the recent firmware updates.

Hey, you can't jailbreak an Android.. yeah, i know, but "Jailbreak" is a protected act under the USA DMCA Exemption of 2012 and "Unlocking" is illegal without carrier permission. There will be no misunderstandings here.

WARNING:
This is not a normal bootloader unlock. This is even higher. It's an IROM unlock. This device went from the most secure Galaxy Note 10.1 to the least secure. After performing the technique in this thread your device will allow you to flash a Justin Beiber MP3 over your bootloaders (that means a hard brick). BE VERY CAREFUL and never flash with Odin or Heimdall unless you're absolutely sure it is intended for a SCH-I925. Odin or Heimdall can easily brick your device.

Introduction
CASUAL will guide you through the process of unlocking your bootloader using exploits developed by Lee Harrison. It works on Windows, Linux, and Mac. Put your device into “Developer Mode>USB Debugging”. Click the do it button. Any problems will be addressed with updates. See the About CASUAL section below.

Overview
You are expected to be STOCK.... Stock anything, but stock. This will install a stock kernel and that may affect non-stock roms. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application below. Make sure you're connected to the internet. Then click the Do It! button. You need Java. Do you have Java?.

Windows 32/64 Users: CASUAL will put your device into Download Mode. It will automatically flash everything. If drivers are required, jrloper's CADI (CASUAL Automated Driver installer) will handle it. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Linux 32/64/raspberry pi Users There may be a permission escalation in order to install heimdall, either way sit back and relax. CASUAL automates the entire process.
Please run the following in a terminal first:

Mac Users: Mac works easierr than any other system at the time of this release on 32bit systems. Please report problems.

Download
Take Note Verizon CASUAL(R478b) CASUAL is used to automate the process. The exploit was developed by Elite Recognized Developer Ralekdev and packaged by AdamOutler. To run CASUAL you need Java. Do you have Java?

Note: Please don't mirror this file. Link to this thread for download. d-h.st is a fast server. If I find people mirroring old versions of CASUAL, i will throw the killswitch and their browser will bring them back here to download the new one so they end up downloading it twice, otherwise I have to support multiple versions.

Videos
Demonstration on Linux. It is roughlty the same on Windows and Mac, but if anyone wants to make a video I will put it here.

About CASUAL
CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Univeral Android Loader. CASUAL jar files are a wrapper for the CASUAL scripting language. CASUAL allows rapid and accurate deployment of hacks and exploits. CASUAL is an Open Format, meaning, you can find out as much as you need to about how it works because they're easily taken apart and modified with WinZip. CASUAL is also secure. At any time, if a serious problem is detected with any script, the kill-switch will be flipped and you will be brought to a support page (most likely here) so you can download the latest version. Otherwise for minor corrections, new CASUAL scripts can be deployed remotely.

Here's a picture of CASUAL and a Verizon GNote10.1 running Team Win Recovery
2898v4i.jpg

Change Log
3May13: Initial Release
6May13: Updated Recovery to support Internal SD. -R478b

Last edited:

JasonGeiger

Sep 3, 2012
Wichita
Does this install the same TWRP version as Dees-Troy is working on in this forum? Just curious because that one is pretty rough with touch issues and it would be great to have a more functional one. I have the 8013...

Sent from my note 2

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Does this install the same TWRP version as Dees-Troy is working on in this forum? Just curious because that one is pretty rough with touch issues and it would be great to have a more functional one. I have the 8013...

Sent from my note 2
This was packaged from the TWRP nightly released last night.

I have the U.S. Cellular i925u. Is there anyway to get this to work. I'm not interested in keeping the 4g capability. I'm ok with using WiFi only. I tried using the Casual install but it failed.
CASUAL will let you root, but it won't install files that will damage your device. Even if it would, it's a bad idea. This is an IROM unlock, intended for Verizon devices only. IROM unlock means you can flash anything you want including files that destory your device.

You don't need this if you can flash custom kernels and ROMs. We have taken down all defenses here. If the U.S. Cellular version is locked down and you cant flash kernels/ROMs without it, I can release a new, updated version.

Last edited:

pro_b

Aug 14, 2006
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This was packaged from the TWRP nightly released last night.

CASUAL will let you root, but it won't install files that will damage your device. Even if it would, it's a bad idea. This is an IROM unlock, intended for Verizon devices only. IROM unlock means you can flash anything you want including files that destory your device.

You don't need this if you can flash custom kernels and ROMs. We have taken down all defenses here. If the U.S. Cellular version is locked down and you cant flash kernels/ROMs without it, I can release a new, updated version.

Thanks Sir. The U.S. Cellular version is locked down like the Verizon version as far as I can tell. Since the US Carriers decided to do the same crap with the bootloaders. I have root using framaroot but I'm unable to install a recovery or flash a kernel.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks Sir. The U.S. Cellular version is locked down like the Verizon version as far as I can tell. Since the US Carriers decided to do the same crap with the bootloaders. I have root using framaroot but I'm unable to install a recovery or flash a kernel.

Hit me up on an email with the output of terminal emulator command "cat /system/build.prop"

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Alright guys. I'm uploading two new packages....

The first one is the latest copy of the Take Note Verizon jailbreak. It includes a modified Recovery by Dees_Troy. Our Note 10.1's are different than the other ones.

Differences: The partition structure is totally different. The kernels are totally different. This means you will soft-brick your device by flashing anything in these forums involving a recovery or a kernel other than this one. That being said..... It may be a good idea to get a separate forum. If you are interested, please start a *NEW THREAD* in General forums listing all the i925 specific threads which could be moved.

Alright. For the second part, I'm uploading a Rooted back-to-stock which I packaged from my own device before unlocking it and flashing stuff. Here's the technique used. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2082951 . This file is large so it will be a while before it's uploaded. The files included are basically everything needed to safely get back from a custom ROM and be rooted stock again.

Files included: boot.img, hidden.img, modem.bin, param.bin, recovery.img, system.img

We don't have a way to remove the modified system status currently. There is no completely back to stock.

drozek

Jun 22, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Alright guys. I'm uploading two new packages....

The first one is the latest copy of the Take Note Verizon jailbreak. It includes a modified Recovery by Dees_Troy. Our Note 10.1's are different than the other ones.

Differences: The partition structure is totally different. The kernels are totally different. This means you will soft-brick your device by flashing anything in these forums involving a recovery or a kernel other than this one. That being said..... It may be a good idea to get a separate forum. If you are interested, please start a *NEW THREAD* in General forums listing all the i925 specific threads which could be moved.

Alright. For the second part, I'm uploading a Rooted back-to-stock which I packaged from my own device before unlocking it and flashing stuff. Here's the technique used. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2082951 . This file is large so it will be a while before it's uploaded. The files included are basically everything needed to safely get back from a custom ROM and be rooted stock again.

Files included: boot.img, hidden.img, modem.bin, param.bin, recovery.img, system.img

We don't have a way to remove the modified system status currently. There is no completely back to stock.

Looking forward to trying this

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
So does N8010 boot loader mean N8010 ROMs or no...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
So does N8010 boot loader mean N8010 ROMs or no...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

no. The hardware is different. The bootloaders are similar. You need a different kernel

As a note: Never flash an N8010 bootloader. this is a SPECIAL bootloader based on the N8010 bootloader. Just pretend it has nothing to do with N8010. For all practical purposes, this is an I925 bootloader we crafted out of an N8010 because we didn't have a i925 to work with.

Last edited:

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
Ok thanks, mostly just curious as i own the N8013 but considered the verizon version or selling and getting the unlocked international.

*Madmoose*

Aug 13, 2011
Thanks a ton Adam! Worked perfectly.

So if I have this correctly, we will be running stock until we get a dev to start working on our variant? I would assume that the other roms wouldn't install correctly with the partitions being different correct?

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks a ton Adam! Worked perfectly.

So if I have this correctly, we will be running stock until we get a dev to start working on our variant? I would assume that the other roms wouldn't install correctly with the partitions being different correct?

Yeah... don't flash nothin' or you will die. :). We need a ROM dev.

Snarlster

Apr 5, 2011
Reykjavik
Great work Adam, almost sent you a PM begging you to take this project on about 6 weeks ago... thanks!

But I had some problem as I ran the script, it stopped after it had rebooted and was stuck in Download Mode and asked me for my XDA username for some pastebin. The last information in that pastebin was:
Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...
Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...

ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed!
Releasing device interface...

[ERROR]
[Heimdall Error Report] Detected:
Heimdall failed to initialize protocol; Script halted
[/Heimdall Error Report]

[DEBUG]HALT RECEIVED
[DEBUG]Finishing remaining commands:$SENDLOG
[DEBUG]Sendlog Command Issued!
No remaining commands
[DEBUG]Pastebin Login Successful

After unpluging and holding the power down for a few secs it rebooted as usually, but I dont know if it completed or not... how do I know if the bootloader got unlocked?

If you would like to see the pastebin then I'd be glad to be able to help, just let me know.

Thanks again,

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Great work Adam, almost sent you a PM begging you to take this project on about 6 weeks ago... thanks!

But I had some problem as I ran the script, it stopped after it had rebooted and was stuck in Download Mode and asked me for my XDA username for some pastebin. The last information in that pastebin was:

After unpluging and holding the power down for a few secs it rebooted as usually, but I dont know if it completed or not... how do I know if the bootloader got unlocked?

If you would like to see the pastebin then I'd be glad to be able to help, just let me know.

Thanks again,

Use a different usb cable and port on your computer. There is a problem with the communications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: this will not work on the recent firmware updates.

Hey, you can't jailbreak an Android.. yeah, i know, but "Jailbreak" is a protected act under the USA DMCA Exemption of 2012 and "Unlocking" is illegal without carrier permission. There will be no misunderstandings here.

WARNING:
    This is not a normal bootloader unlock. This is even higher. It's an IROM unlock. This device went from the most secure Galaxy Note 10.1 to the least secure. After performing the technique in this thread your device will allow you to flash a Justin Beiber MP3 over your bootloaders (that means a hard brick). BE VERY CAREFUL and never flash with Odin or Heimdall unless you're absolutely sure it is intended for a SCH-I925. Odin or Heimdall can easily brick your device.

Introduction
    CASUAL will guide you through the process of unlocking your bootloader using exploits developed by Lee Harrison. It works on Windows, Linux, and Mac. Put your device into “Developer Mode>USB Debugging”. Click the do it button. Any problems will be addressed with updates. See the About CASUAL section below.

Overview
    You are expected to be STOCK.... Stock anything, but stock. This will install a stock kernel and that may affect non-stock roms. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application below. Make sure you're connected to the internet. Then click the Do It! button. You need Java. Do you have Java?.

Windows 32/64 Users: CASUAL will put your device into Download Mode. It will automatically flash everything. If drivers are required, jrloper's CADI (CASUAL Automated Driver installer) will handle it. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Linux 32/64/raspberry pi Users There may be a permission escalation in order to install heimdall, either way sit back and relax. CASUAL automates the entire process.
    Please run the following in a terminal first:

Mac Users: Mac works easierr than any other system at the time of this release on 32bit systems. Please report problems.

Download
    Take Note Verizon CASUAL(R478b) CASUAL is used to automate the process. The exploit was developed by Elite Recognized Developer Ralekdev and packaged by AdamOutler. To run CASUAL you need Java. Do you have Java?

Note: Please don't mirror this file. Link to this thread for download. d-h.st is a fast server. If I find people mirroring old versions of CASUAL, i will throw the killswitch and their browser will bring them back here to download the new one so they end up downloading it twice, otherwise I have to support multiple versions.

Videos
    Demonstration on Linux. It is roughlty the same on Windows and Mac, but if anyone wants to make a video I will put it here.

About CASUAL
    CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Univeral Android Loader. CASUAL jar files are a wrapper for the CASUAL scripting language. CASUAL allows rapid and accurate deployment of hacks and exploits. CASUAL is an Open Format, meaning, you can find out as much as you need to about how it works because they're easily taken apart and modified with WinZip. CASUAL is also secure. At any time, if a serious problem is detected with any script, the kill-switch will be flipped and you will be brought to a support page (most likely here) so you can download the latest version. Otherwise for minor corrections, new CASUAL scripts can be deployed remotely.

Here's a picture of CASUAL and a Verizon GNote10.1 running Team Win Recovery
    2898v4i.jpg

Change Log
    3May13: Initial Release
    6May13: Updated Recovery to support Internal SD. -R478b
    This unlock was basically identical to the second Galaxy Note 2 unlock except I had to add a few more tweaks because we're shoving a modified N8010 bootloader onto the i925.
    We are looking for the next root exploit. If you guys could, try out a few and see if they work.
    I grabbed the update and dumped the update.zip before rebooting:

Original: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23196940996969675

I made a modified version without the sboot and recovery:
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23196940996969679

I flashed the modified in cwm while still on an unlocked bootloader. I retained cwm and it even detected that root may be lost and fixed it :)
    So for anyone waiting to run the update, grab the modified version. This will NOT unlock your bootloader or root you however.
    OK guys, If anyone wants to try the latest version, here it is... Quick rundown of features..

CASUAL R515
    Windows XP support!
    Faster startup time.
    Fixed Failed to connect bug
    Added suggestions as to how to continue
    Fixed spaces in username bug on windows
    Lots and lots of other fixes

Download Here: http://d-h.st/hFt