[James] Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Just tried to unlock the bootloader for james / Moto E5 Play and Motorola currently isn't allowing the bootloader to be unlocked.

James uses the same msm8937 SoC /msm8920 baseband as the E4, so I pretty much had TWRP and the Lineage devices trees ready to go...but can't do anything without unlocking the bootloader.

Just passing on some info...bug Motorola. I'm good to go. :)

motoe5dev

May 21, 2018
Just tried to unlock the bootloader for james / Moto E5 Play and Motorola currently isn't allowing the bootloader to be unlocked.

James uses the same msm8937 SoC /msm8920 baseband as the E4, so I pretty much had TWRP and the Lineage devices trees ready to go...but can't do anything without unlocking the bootloader.

Just passing on some info...bug Motorola. I'm good to go. :)

Try it again I got boost Mobile e5 play and unlocked it last night. I'm in need of TWRP so if you got a head start I'll test it out if you want

Funisillegal

May 24, 2018
What steps did u take to unlock. I entered device info into Motorola website and it can find unlock code for bootloader

booste5

May 30, 2018
Go to Google and type in Motorola Bootloader unlock. Click on any of the first 3 links and follow each step exactly as it says. Don't skip anything or mis read/jump paragraphs

Icyice

Sep 24, 2013
I tried this but I got a bad key error. What should I do next? Mind you that I triple checked the key was correct and yes, it was

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
The "bad key" error when flashing the /recovery and the /boot partitions, as many of you probably already know, is completely normal and will not cause any adverse issues other than the annoying nag during boot. When the bootloader is in an unlocked state, and the /boot or /recovery partitions are flashed with an image which is not digitally signed by Motorola, a qFuse is blown during the /aboot boot chain and /tz sends the "bad key" notation to the /logo partition. A workaround to this is to flash a custom boot logo with a light color near the top which effectively hides the nag.

Reactions: Kaelitz

transgirlphoebe

Mar 29, 2016
Martinsburg
Moto G7 Power
Don't know if confirmations are still needed,about a month ago i was denied a unlock key,tried last night after seeing all the success here,unlocked easy as pie. Boost mobile e5 play. Will be watching for some custom ROMs, hopefully someone can hide from Safetynet once again

koyo

Nov 12, 2015
Redmi 9
Can anyone confirm if Moto E5 Play actually has treble? I know it ships with 8.0 but I want to be absolutely 100% positive

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im also confirming. It wasn't until after I did everything through out setup it ungeye the OEM unlock switch. BTW exact same with the g6 play. And the xt1922-7 is the bomb.
    Try it again I got boost Mobile e5 play and unlocked it last night. I'm in need of TWRP so if you got a head start I'll test it out if you want
    So you are confirming bootloader unlock on the Boost Moto E5 Play?
    Yes sir I am. XT1912-5 is my model #
    The "bad key" error when flashing the /recovery and the /boot partitions, as many of you probably already know, is completely normal and will not cause any adverse issues other than the annoying nag during boot. When the bootloader is in an unlocked state, and the /boot or /recovery partitions are flashed with an image which is not digitally signed by Motorola, a qFuse is blown during the /aboot boot chain and /tz sends the "bad key" notation to the /logo partition. A workaround to this is to flash a custom boot logo with a light color near the top which effectively hides the nag.
    other people seem to be unlocking the t-mobile variant of James without a problem, but their website is telling me "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking."

unless something has changed; Im on tmobile and unlocked my BL no issues (then a metro variant too)

try again and make sure no mistakes....