• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

JamesDSP Audio Manager [MMT-EX]

Search This thread

Cristiano Lira

Jul 4, 2013
Maceió, Alagoas
Recently it occurred to me that the only reason my phone is rooted is to use JamesDSP.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the new update has gone open-sourced, is it possible for someone to make a music player with jamesDSP built into it for non-root users? That would be amazing IMHO. Or if someone could merge an existing music player and JamesDSP.
I'm kinda tired of the cat-and-mouse game of SafetyNet, hiding root from bank apps, etc.
Please forgive me if my idea sounds silly or whatnot. I'm not a developer.
Yeah, it's about time we don't need root to use JamesDSP, magisk also degrade performance on older phones.

Reactions: arash74

Xitrano

Oct 16, 2021
Yeah, it's about time we don't need root to use JamesDSP, magisk also degrade performance on older phones.
Unfortunately there only exist two apps providing convolution and both need root.
Any chance we will get an android player app with an integrated convolver, even if it's not applied systemwide?
HLC (hang loose convolver) is planned also for android, but it will be VERY expensive and pursuits a different pupose.
The hiby player app of the hiby r5/6/8 provides a convolution plugin,but unfortunately it's not availbale in the standalone android hiby-player app.
The two available plugins are "efotech SVirtualiser"and "USpatializer", developed/ lead by James Fung and Joseph Yeung ("Joe Bloggs"), so I have a clou who contributed the convolution plugin for hiby.
I hope, there is a way to make the convolution plugin of the hiby r5/6/8 hiby-player app available for the standalone android "hiby music" player app.

Last edited:

Xitrano

Oct 16, 2021
Do you mean JDSPmanager or the hiby app of the r5/6/8 dap with the convolution plugin?
You need root for jdsp, so an US a70 with the snapdragon won't work due to the unlockable bootloader. With the exynos version it's possible but getting harder and harder these days.
The convolution plugin isn't available in the standalone "hiby music" player app, we need someone with a hiby r5/6/8 player who can extract the apk containing the plugin and install/ test it on an android smartphone.

Last edited:

Vishesh88

Oct 17, 2021
Do you mean JDSPmanager or the hiby app of the r5/6/8 dap with the convolution plugin?
You need root for jdsp, so an US a70 with the snapdragon won't work due to the unlockable bootloader. With the exynos version it's possible but getting harder and harder these days.
The convolution plugin isn't available in the standalone "hiby music" player app, we need someone with a hiby r5/6/8 player who can extract the apk containing the plugin and install/ test it on an android smartphone.
I mean the dsp manager

Vishesh88

Oct 17, 2021
My bootloader is unlocked on my Samsung galaxy A70, I already have magisk app on my device I want to install the dsp manager on my device via magisk module

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Germany
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
My bootloader is unlocked on my Samsung galaxy A70, I already have magisk app on my device I want to install the dsp manager on my device via magisk module
So you're ready to go.
Check the download link in the OP and install the module via Magisk.
Sometimes the APK is missing after the flash, in this case unpack the magisk module and install the APK you'll find inside the usual way.

Reactions: Vishesh88

P650SE

Aug 14, 2013
Is there any way for me to reduce the pre-gain below -15dB?

On my phone I find the volume way too sensitive when listening through headphones, anything above like 5-10% is too loud, this mod helps to improve the situation with pre-gain set to -15dB, but I am wondering if it is possible to reduce the volume output even further?

Vishesh88

Oct 17, 2021

On my phone I find the volume way too sensitive when listening through headphones, anything above like 5-10% is too loud, this mod helps to improve the situation with pre-gain set to -15dB, but I am wondering if it is possible to reduce the volume output even further
It didn't work for me it sound distorted and laggy every time on my samsung device if it doesn't work for you download viper4android module it sound better than jdsp.

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite

On my phone I find the volume way too sensitive when listening through headphones, anything above like 5-10% is too loud, this mod helps to improve the situation with pre-gain set to -15dB, but I am wondering if it is possible to reduce the volume output even further?
I face similar problem, but I solve it differently - by adding more granular volume control. By adding more steps I am able to fine tune volume for sensitive IEMs and I can keep "normal" gain. It is fairly easy to modify number of steps, just modify this text in module's system.prop file:

ro.config.media_vol_steps=40

Module: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/module-magisk-17-volume-steps-extender.3843492/

P650SE

Aug 14, 2013
I face similar problem, but I solve it differently - by adding more granular volume control. By adding more steps I am able to fine tune volume for sensitive IEMs and I can keep "normal" gain. It is fairly easy to modify number of steps, just modify this text in module's system.prop file:

ro.config.media_vol_steps=40

Module: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/module-magisk-17-volume-steps-extender.3843492/

Thank you, yes, I should've mentioned that I tried this already and it did help. The custom ROM I am using actually has a volume steps customisation built into the settings so I don't have to use the Magisk module or make changes to the build.prop. :)

My problem is more that I have a volume slider that goes from 0 to 100%, but I can't use more than the first 10% because anything over that is too loud. What I wanted is to lower the volume of that 100% value so the rest of the slider becomes less sensitive (and more usable)

By setting the pre-gain to -15dB it with JDSP it does what I wanted, and I since realised that I can lower the volume further by setting a custom EQ with all of the sliders aligned flat horizontally at a lower placement:

Screenshot-20211019-193526-James-DSP.png

So I think that makes it better!

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Thank you, yes, I should've mentioned that I tried this already and it did help. The custom ROM I am using actually has a volume steps customisation built into the settings so I don't have to use the Magisk module or make changes to the build.prop. :)

My problem is more that I have a volume slider that goes from 0 to 100%, but I can't use more than the first 10% because anything over that is too loud. What I wanted is to lower the volume of that 100% value so the rest of the slider becomes less sensitive (and more usable)

By setting the pre-gain to -15dB it with JDSP it does what I wanted, and I since realised that I can lower the volume further by setting a custom EQ with all of the sliders aligned flat horizontally at a lower placement:

...snip....

I have a ague memory opf people ith the exact opposite problem as you, and there is a config file somewhere in their ROM which enables settoing an overriding gain. Sorry I cant help more with your search.

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite

With such sensitive headphones, you might be interested in hardware solution as well - check iFi iEMatch and iFi Ear Buddy (or if you are skilled with electronics, you can easily build such voltage divider adapter yourself https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/). Adapter not only allows you to use much wider range of volume, but also practically eliminates all background hissing noise. The only drawback is that it removes cable mic support.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    This is a reformed audio effect digital signal processing engine for Android. The GUI is copy from Omnirom DSPManager, but the internal audio engine is enhanced and reformed!

Features:
    • Pro dynamic range compression
    • Bass Boost
      • --> 1023/4095/8191 order FIR linear phase low pass bass boost
    • Reverberation (Dual engine reverb)
      • --> GVerb
      • --> Progenitor 2
    • 10 Band Hybrid Equalizer
    • Stereo Widen
    • Triode dual stage vacuum tube simulation
      • --> Simulate with real mathematical model of 12AX7 tube
      • Auto partitioning high efficient convolution engine
      • --> Support mono / stereo / full stereo(LL, LR, RL, RR) impulse response
      • --> Samples per channels should less than 1000000* for stereo
      • --> Samples per channels should less than 400000* for full stereo
      • --> Impulse response file support: V4A IRS, FLAC, WAV

Install:
    • Install via Magisk Manager, Flashfire, or recovery (Magisk or System install will detect automatically)

Uninstall:
    • Delete module in Magisk Manager
    • OR Flash module in recovery

Audio Mod Troubleshooting Guide

Download

Notes:
    Convolver have been tested working even in stereo impulse response with 16121304 samples per channels on Snapdragon 820

If you look at the source code from Java part, you will find some are similar with Viper4Android, but this is not true.
    Viper4Android only open source it's interface, their core drivers source code have never been released.
    For convenient sake, I copy some interface code to accelerate my development.

How to compile the source code?
    Use Android NDK & Eclipse

Previous post

XDA:DevDB Information
    JamesDSPManager, App for the Apps & Games

Contributors
    james3460297, ahrion, Zackptg5
    Source Code: https://github.com/james34602/JamesDSPManager

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v3.3
    Stable Release Date: 2020-11-02

Created 2017-11-11
    Last Updated 2020-11-02
    New JDSP is finally here everyone!
    Anyone give links for PRESETS and IRS.... I downloaded from an old post , but that's causing the app to crash!
    1) You can download Convolvers and DDC from
    https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1322778262904011552

Unzip and
    - copy IRS files from Kernel folder to Internal memory: /JamesDSP/Convolver
    - enable Convolver and select an Impulse Response filter

- copy VDC files from DDC folder to Internal memory: /JamesDSP/DDC
    - enable ViPER-DDC and select a DDC file

Btw, with IdealEQ.vds for DDC file, there is also a notable increase in Volume (tested for Speaker and Headset)

2) For Equalizer, enable Hybrid equalizer (for Speaker, Headset and Bluetooth), select Custom, and from the top-right menu chose Save preset, name it like MyDefault

Open by eg MiXPlorer, Internal memory:
    /JamesDSP/Presets/MyDefault/james.dsp.speaker.xml
    (repeat the same for Headset and Bluetooth XML files)

edit as Text file, find the line starting with
    <string name="dsp.tone.eq.custom">

and replace by 'Small speaker' parameters:
    <string name="dsp.tone.eq.custom">7.0;6.8;6.4;3.5;0.0;0.0;0.0;0.0;0.0;0.0;0.0;-3.5;-6.4;-3.3;-3.5;</string>

Then in JamesDSP, top-right menu, chose Load preset and select your MyDefault
    JDSP has been updated to v1.7! See james' github for changelog, this installer uses the hq libs
    Can you define HQ and SQ in specific terms?

Yes. @Zackptg5 Yes, for sure.
    HQ process audio using float 64 data type, although Android audio framework most likely provide only 16 bit data, this doesn't mean it is unnecessary, because float 64 guarantee less rounding error, thus less noise.
    SQ mode is pretty standard in DSP, float 32 satisfy most situations, this is most power saving, and fastest.