JamesDSP Audio Manager [MMT-EX]

Search This thread
Mar 18, 2018
After last December Update on Pixel 6 JamesDSP stopped working for Bluetooth Devices. Works only on speaker. Reinstall and all the usual restarts dont help. F*ck you Google. Why dont they simply create proper Audio APIs so Equilizer Apps can work as intended. Is music on smartphones not big enough?

Reactions: mustang_ssc

happynexuss

May 23, 2011
Anyone have a good guide for using JamesDSP? I installed the presets shared by schmeggy but it leaves a crackling sound in my headphones. I'd really like to learn how to use JamesDSP or at least learn more about the features available in it but I haven't been able to find much.

Reactions: fergalc

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Is anyone using this on a Pixel 7 Pro and has it working? I was on the November update and, out of nowhere, this app just FC every time I would boot up my phone. I updated to the December feature drop release and same thing. I ended up uninstalling the Magisk module and the app for the time being.

Is JamesDSP still being maintained though?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Is anyone using this on a Pixel 7 Pro and has it working? I was on the November update and, out of nowhere, this app just FC every time I would boot up my phone. I updated to the December feature drop release and same thing. I ended up uninstalling the Magisk module and the app for the time being.

JamesDSP working fine on the Pixel 7 Pro for me. Works on the December QPR1 stable build as well as yesterday's release of QPR2 Beta 1. The only time it should crash on boot is if you are not rooted. I'm also assuming you said "Yes" when it asked if you have a Huawei device when installing.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018

Yea Im on Pixel 6 and for me the December update broke JamesDSP too. Last Update was in August 2022. We'll see if thats only a pixel problem.

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
JamesDSP working fine on the Pixel 7 Pro for me. Works on the December QPR1 stable build as well as yesterday's release of QPR2 Beta 1. The only time it should crash on boot is if you are not rooted. I'm also assuming you said "Yes" when it asked if you have a Huawei device when installing.
I'm rooted and I did say "Yes" about the Huawei device. I just tried reinstalling the zip file and it works again! Weird as I haven't done anything before to make it stop working...

CharliexCharger

Mar 26, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I'm rooted and I did say "Yes" about the Huawei device. I just tried reinstalling the zip file and it works again! Weird as I haven't done anything before to make it stop working...
I have the pixel 6 pro and from what it seems the force closing ties into Bluetooth processing. The app will force close when connected to a Bluetooth device, but not processing through the phones speaker.

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Pixel 7 Pro here, JamesDSP is working great after a few hours of fine tuning all the settings. Just seems anything over 0.0dB Post gain does nothing. 0.0dB sounds no different than 15.0dB.
So did you ever determine if this is actually making your phone louder? That's I used v4a for louder volume more than anything. Yes, tuning for clarity was right up there too, but I want the louder volume. Did you determine if jamesdsp makes the phone and Bluetooth devices

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
So did you ever determine if this is actually making your phone louder? That's I used v4a for louder volume more than anything. Yes, tuning for clarity was right up there too, but I want the louder volume. Did you determine if jamesdsp makes the phone and Bluetooth devices
Increasing Post gain definitely increases volume for me (Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 7 Pro). You can also use a convolver that increases the volume as part of its function as well.

schmeggy929

Recognized Themer
Apr 13, 2008
New Jersey
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Yes it does increase the volume. Along with a convolver and DDC file, it pretty much does a good job in loudness, clarity, and bass.

You can check out the different with JamesDSP on and off HERE.

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Flashed in magisk and this is working on my pixel 7 pro tested on the phone speakers and a Bluetooth speaker. The volume increase is awesome. What are recommended convolvers with a safe download location or recommended tweaks for more clear audio? I listen to a lot of podcasts and talk shows more than music. Bass boost and music tuning aren't important to me. I want volume increase and clarity. I have the former now and need the latter. I'm no audio tuning expert so some of the terminology in the app and throughout this thread isn't in my wheelhouse.

Brainium

Jul 21, 2016
It's been a long time since I've posted on here...

I have a Pixel 6 on build TQ1A.221205.011, and I get crashes on Bluetooth as well. I've noticed that it still works with SBC and AAC codecs, but not any others.

I've taken a logcat and it seems that Google has made some changes to Bluetooth media streaming:

Code:
checkEffectCompatibility_l: global effect JamesDSP v3.05 not supported on spatializer thread AudioOut_CD
Code:
set(): AudioFlinger could not create effect f98765f4-c321-5de6-9a45-123459495ab2 / f27317f4-c984-4de6-9a90-545759495bf2, status: -22
Code:
AudioEffect initCheck failed -3

The full logcat is attached. Hope it can be of use!

Attachments

• logcat_12-24-2022_12-38-45.txt.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 7

lysaer

Apr 2, 2012
I am picking up a pixel 7 pro tomorrow and want to install a good audio mod.

Currently I use Viper4android but that's kind of deprecated now so I was looking for alternatives when I came across Jamesdsp, but it looks like it is also out of development as well having no updates in the last 2 years.

Is there a particular reason why the good audio managers all seem to stop being supported and there aren't that many around?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    This is a reformed audio effect digital signal processing engine for Android. The GUI is copy from Omnirom DSPManager, but the internal audio engine is enhanced and reformed!

Features:
    • Pro dynamic range compression
    • Bass Boost
      • --> 1023/4095/8191 order FIR linear phase low pass bass boost
    • Reverberation (Dual engine reverb)
      • --> GVerb
      • --> Progenitor 2
    • 10 Band Hybrid Equalizer
    • Stereo Widen
    • Triode dual stage vacuum tube simulation
      • --> Simulate with real mathematical model of 12AX7 tube
      • Auto partitioning high efficient convolution engine
      • --> Support mono / stereo / full stereo(LL, LR, RL, RR) impulse response
      • --> Samples per channels should less than 1000000* for stereo
      • --> Samples per channels should less than 400000* for full stereo
      • --> Impulse response file support: V4A IRS, FLAC, WAV

Install:
    • Install via Magisk Manager, Flashfire, or recovery (Magisk or System install will detect automatically)

Uninstall:
    • Delete module in Magisk Manager
    • OR Flash module in recovery

Audio Mod Troubleshooting Guide

Download

Notes:
    Convolver have been tested working even in stereo impulse response with 16121304 samples per channels on Snapdragon 820

If you look at the source code from Java part, you will find some are similar with Viper4Android, but this is not true.
    Viper4Android only open source it's interface, their core drivers source code have never been released.
    For convenient sake, I copy some interface code to accelerate my development.

How to compile the source code?
    Use Android NDK & Eclipse

Previous post

XDA:DevDB Information
    JamesDSPManager, App for the Apps & Games

Contributors
    james3460297, ahrion, Zackptg5
    Source Code: https://github.com/james34602/JamesDSPManager

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v3.3
    Stable Release Date: 2020-11-02

Created 2017-11-11
    Last Updated 2020-11-02
    New JDSP is finally here everyone!
    Anyone give links for PRESETS and IRS.... I downloaded from an old post , but that's causing the app to crash!
    1) You can download Convolvers and DDC from
    https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1322778262904011552

Unzip and
    - copy IRS files from Kernel folder to Internal memory: /JamesDSP/Convolver
    - enable Convolver and select an Impulse Response filter

- copy VDC files from DDC folder to Internal memory: /JamesDSP/DDC
    - enable ViPER-DDC and select a DDC file

Btw, with IdealEQ.vds for DDC file, there is also a notable increase in Volume (tested for Speaker and Headset)

2) For Equalizer, enable Hybrid equalizer (for Speaker, Headset and Bluetooth), select Custom, and from the top-right menu chose Save preset, name it like MyDefault

Open by eg MiXPlorer, Internal memory:
    /JamesDSP/Presets/MyDefault/james.dsp.speaker.xml
    (repeat the same for Headset and Bluetooth XML files)

edit as Text file, find the line starting with
    <string name="dsp.tone.eq.custom">

and replace by 'Small speaker' parameters:
    <string name="dsp.tone.eq.custom">7.0;6.8;6.4;3.5;0.0;0.0;0.0;0.0;0.0;0.0;0.0;-3.5;-6.4;-3.3;-3.5;</string>

Then in JamesDSP, top-right menu, chose Load preset and select your MyDefault
    JDSP has been updated to v1.7! See james' github for changelog, this installer uses the hq libs
    Can you define HQ and SQ in specific terms?

Yes. @Zackptg5 Yes, for sure.
    HQ process audio using float 64 data type, although Android audio framework most likely provide only 16 bit data, this doesn't mean it is unnecessary, because float 64 guarantee less rounding error, thus less noise.
    SQ mode is pretty standard in DSP, float 32 satisfy most situations, this is most power saving, and fastest.