General January 20, 2023 - QPR2 Beta 2.1 (T2B2.221216.008) - Pixel 7 Pro [Cheetah] - [thread also for future Major Android Betas]

Search This thread

Dave_247

I haven't and don't want to opt-out of the beta program, but my phone is notifying me of a tiny 2.94 MB OTA update it wants to still do, which I guess is for any minor changes they have made to bring it to a stable release?

The only problem is that I have been manually flashing my device due to then rooting with Magisk so am thus unable to do this OTA update (it outright fails to install), so I guess I just manually install the new build and not force a wipe.

emontes

I haven't and don't want to opt-out of the beta program, but my phone is notifying me of a tiny 2.94 MB OTA update it wants to still do, which I guess is for any minor changes they have made to bring it to a stable release?

The only problem is that I have been manually flashing my device due to then rooting with Magisk so am thus unable to do this OTA update (it outright fails to install), so I guess I just manually install the new build and not force a wipe.
I'm on the same boat so I guess we have to wait until the next (or latest) QPR is out?

Mash1ro

Nov 29, 2017
You should wait until we get the stable QPR1 build tomorrow, install that, then opt out. If you opt out before that you will have to wipe. If you wait until after installing the stable QPR1 build tomorrow you can opt out after that (for a short time period) without having to wipe.

From the A13 Beta program FAQ:

Note: During the beta program’s release cycle, there will be stable releases to the public (the official platform release followed by Quarterly Platform Releases (QPRs)). When you apply the stable release update for the version you’re beta testing, you can opt out without a data wipe for a limited time until you apply the next beta update

Just to clarify:

When you say that you can opt out AFTER installing the QPR stable, you mean that we can manually flash/sideload that QPR stable build, it will boot, and then we can opt out?

My situation: I am currently on the latest QPR beta release, locked bootloader. If I, right now, opt out of beta I will receive that QPR stable build in the updater. In this case, after it finishes installing, it will wipe all my data on the next reboot? So basically I have no choice but to stay on beta right now if I don't want to wipe my data. Am I correct?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Just to clarify:

When you say that you can opt out AFTER installing the QPR stable, you mean that we can manually flash/sideload that QPR stable build, it will boot, and then we can opt out?

My situation: I am currently on the latest QPR beta release, locked bootloader. If I, right now, opt out of beta I will receive that QPR stable build in the updater. In this case, after it finishes installing, it will wipe all my data on the next reboot? So basically I have no choice but to stay on beta right now if I don't want to wipe my data. Am I correct?
If you are currently on the latest QPR1 beta, just wait to receive the OTA for the stable QPR1 (December) build. Install that (you won't have to wipe) and then opt out. If you opt out before installing the stable QPR1 build you will have to wipe.

If you want to continue with the beta program, just don't opt out and you'll receive the QPR2 betas, likely starting the next week.

Reactions: Pixel86

Mash1ro

Nov 29, 2017
If you are currently on the latest QPR1 beta, just wait to receive the OTA for the stable QPR1 (December) build. Install that (you won't have to wipe) and then opt out. If you opt out before installing the stable QPR1 build you will have to wipe.

If you want to continue with the beta program, just don't opt out and you'll receive the QPR2 betas, likely starting the next week.
Got it, thanks for the explanation

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Dave_247

One thing I realised is that the whole part of opting-in/out is only good for people who use and are part of the program like Google intends for it, which is to only ever update their phone with OTA.

If you are manually flashing your phone (such in the case of rooting), then you can do whatever the hell you want (as is by design), where actually being part of the program or not doesn't seem to make any difference.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I had wondered if it would drop soon because a couple of hours ago, the text on the https://www.google.com/android/beta page changed back and forth between QPR1 and QPR2.

Pixel 7 Procheetah-t2b1.221118.006-factory-a4882e16.zipa4882e16edb007358307a767a7df663dfb369d96262fceb364b34936d48a8cf5

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

Release notes​

bookmark
Beta 1
Release dateDecember 12, 2022
BuildT2B1.221118.006
Security patch levelDecember 2022
Google Play services22.39.10

About Android 13 QPR2​

Following the stable release of Android 13 to AOSP, we continue to update the platform with fixes and improvements that are then rolled out to supported devices. These releases happen on a quarterly cadence through Quarterly Platform Releases (QPRs), which are delivered both to AOSP and to Google Pixel devices as part of Feature Drops.
Although these updates don't include app-impacting API changes, we provide images of the latest QPR beta builds so you can test your app with these builds as needed.
Unlike developer previews and betas for unreleased versions of Android, these builds are suitable for general use. However, please review any known issues that are listed on this page.
Android 13 QPR2 builds on the updates in Android 13 QPR1 and the Android 13 initial release and includes the next round of refinements such as bug fixes and improvements to stability and performance.

How to get QPR2 Beta 1​

You can install Android 13 QPR2 Beta 1 on any of the following Google Pixel devices:
  • Pixel 4a and 4a (5G)
  • Pixel 5 and 5a
  • Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
  • Pixel 6a
  • Pixel 7 and 7 Pro
See Get Android 13 QPR beta builds for details on how to get started.

General advisories​

Be aware of these general advisories about the release:
  • This release might have various stability, battery, or performance issues.
  • For users with accessibility needs, this release might not be appropriate for daily use.
  • Some apps might not function as expected when running on this release. This limitation includes Google's apps as well as other apps.
  • Android 13 QPR beta builds aren't Compatibility Test Suite (CTS)‑approved, but they have passed preliminary testing and provide a stable set of pre-release APIs for developers. Apps that depend on CTS-approved builds or use SafetyNet APIs might not work normally on Android 13 QPR beta builds.

Get support​

Two primary support channels are available to you when developing and testing with Android 13 QPR2. The channel you should use to get support depends on where you are encountering your issue.
  • Support for device-specific issues, system issues, and issues with Google apps: Use the Issue Tracker to create new issues and to view and track issues that you and other developers have submitted.
    Before creating your own issue, check the known issues listed on this page and search the lists of top open issues and recently created issues to see if someone else has already reported it. You can subscribe and vote for an issue by clicking star this issue .
    See Where to report issues to find an issue template that best matches the type of issue that you are encountering.
  • Support for issues with other apps: Contact the app developer directly.
To discuss issues or ideas with other developers working with the Android 13 QPR Beta, join the android_beta community on Reddit.

Top open issues​

See top open issues for the latest list of top open issues that have been reported.

Other known issues​

Based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 13 QPR2. These issues are already known, so there's no need to file additional reports for similar issues.

Android Platform​

• The list of Recent apps sometimes becomes unresponsive if the screen orientation is changed while the list is open.
  • In some cases when entering and exiting Picture-in-picture (PiP) mode from an app after changing the screen orientation, the system Settings app crashes with a "Settings keeps stopping" message and then the system Settings app can't be opened.
  • An issue with the System UI can sometimes cause the Home screen to become unresponsive.

Google Apps​

• After switching back to Normal video capture mode from Slow Motion mode in the Google Camera app, the app continues capturing slow-motion video if the capture speed was changed between the 1/8x and 1/4x while in Slow Motion mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Beta 2.1:
    Normal system images: Use https://flash.android.com/preview/tm-qpr2-beta2.1
    Pixel 7 Procheetah-t2b2.221216.008-factory-36873c04.zip36873c042e0eacb4fa634afe053444c4885c10c38565bcb01518750dc8030610

Release notes​

bookmark
    Beta 2.1Beta 2Beta 1
    Release dateJanuary 20, 2023
    BuildT2B2.221216.008
    Security patch levelJanuary 2023
    Google Play services22.41.13
    Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2.1 (January 2023)
    This minor update to Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2 includes the following fixes:
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented devices from automatically connecting to a 5G network even when it was available. (Issue #265093352)
    • Fixed an issue where devices did not drop or reset an existing, encrypted Bluetooth connection after receiving a command to disable link-layer encryption for that connection.

About Android 13 QPR2​

Following the stable release of Android 13 to AOSP, we continue to update the platform with fixes and improvements that are then rolled out to supported devices. These releases happen on a quarterly cadence through Quarterly Platform Releases (QPRs), which are delivered both to AOSP and to Google Pixel devices as part of Feature Drops.
    Although these updates don't include app-impacting API changes, we provide images of the latest QPR beta builds so you can test your app with these builds as needed.
    Unlike developer previews and betas for unreleased versions of Android, these builds are suitable for general use. However, please review any known issues that are listed on this page.
    Android 13 QPR2 builds on the updates in Android 13 QPR1 and the Android 13 initial release and includes the next round of refinements such as bug fixes and improvements to stability and performance.

How to get QPR2 Beta 2.1​

You can install Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2.1 on any of the following Google Pixel devices:
    • Pixel 4a and 4a (5G)
    • Pixel 5 and 5a
    • Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
    • Pixel 6a
    • Pixel 7 and 7 Pro

General advisories​

• For users with accessibility needs, this release might not be appropriate for daily use.
    • Some apps might not function as expected when running on this release. This limitation includes Google's apps as well as other apps.
    • Android 13 QPR beta builds aren't Compatibility Test Suite (CTS)‑approved, but they have passed preliminary testing and provide a stable set of pre-release APIs for developers. Apps that depend on CTS-approved builds or use SafetyNet APIs might not work normally on Android 13 QPR beta builds.

Get support​

Two primary support channels are available to you when developing and testing with Android 13 QPR2. The channel you should use to get support depends on where you are encountering your issue.
    • Support for device-specific issues, system issues, and issues with Google apps: Use the Issue Tracker to create new issues and to view and track issues that you and other developers have submitted.
      Before creating your own issue, check the known issues listed on this page and search the lists of top open issues and recently created issues to see if someone else has already reported it. You can subscribe and vote for an issue by clicking star this issue .
      See Where to report issues to find an issue template that best matches the type of issue that you are encountering.
    To discuss issues or ideas with other developers working with the Android 13 QPR Beta, join the android_beta community on Reddit.

Top resolved issues​

The following issues have been resolved in Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2:
    • Fixed an issue with the System UI that sometimes caused the Home screen to become unresponsive.
    • Fixed an issue where, after switching back to Normal video capture mode from Slow Motion mode in the Google Camera app, the app continued capturing slow-motion video if the capture speed was changed between 1/8x and 1/4x while in Slow Motion mode.

Top open issues​

See top open issues for the latest list of top open issues that have been reported.

Other known issues​

Based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 13 QPR2. These issues are already known, so there's no need to file additional reports for similar issues.

Android Platform​

• The list of Recent apps sometimes becomes unresponsive if the screen orientation is changed while the list is open.
    • In some cases when entering and exiting Picture-in-picture (PiP) mode from an app after changing the screen orientation, the system Settings app crashes with a "Settings keeps stopping" message and then the system Settings app can't be opened.
    • An issue with the System UI can sometimes cause it to crash from a null pointer exception.

Previous beta releases​

Android 13 QPR1 Beta 1​

Other known issues​

Android Platform​

• An issue with the System UI can sometimes cause the Home screen to become unresponsive.

Google Apps​

• After switching back to Normal video capture mode from Slow Motion mode in the Google Camera app, the app continues capturing slow-motion video if the capture speed was changed between 1/8x and 1/4x while in Slow Motion mode.
    Be aware that the XDA app is not being actively developed, so your experience may vary. The best way to use XDA is generally via a browser...which is exactly how the app displays the site anyway
    Yes, I know. When QPR2 Beta 1 came out, many people, including myself, reported that the XDA app stopped working. I'm just reporting that it is now working again with QPR2 Beta 2.
    Pixel 7 Procheetah-t2b2.221216.006-factory-69f10917.zip69f109173eddc640cf73152e3dbb0a8926ebf9cb24db17c59d521861f2232033

Pixel 7 Procheetah-ota-t2b2.221216.006-17316d28.zip17316d28dad87f234dd648998587b4a5f325f17e6afeb477261f0c90a1854384

ARM64+GMSgsi_gms_arm64-exp-T2B2.221216.006-9443277-12a8e193.zip12a8e1935c6ef46d2d44dea6ea331fa238cb6240bd6df607f6ccb849d619b25c
    ARM64aosp_arm64-exp-T2B2.221216.006-9443277-e508d63f.zipe508d63f27da01889734d36171dec11f226e2f2bc538526379e2184d51e9ffd3
    x86_64+GMSgsi_gms_x86_64-exp-T2B2.221216.006-9443277-5255002f.zip5255002f0d1249bb08725c06e3a264d8caaf2d84cdb9c40c7a7a8954249d6493
    x86_64aosp_x86_64-exp-T2B2.221216.006-9443277-02d675fb.zip02d675fb15c962fa7e35f494edfbfa2da7b886ef3f6e4709b73b1c57fb96b8ab

Release notes​

bookmark
    Beta 2Beta 1
    Release dateJanuary 9, 2023
    BuildT2B2.221216.006

About Android 13 QPR2​

How to get QPR2 Beta 2​

You can install Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2 on any of the following Google Pixel devices:
    • Pixel 4a and 4a (5G)
    • Pixel 5 and 5a
    • Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
    • Pixel 6a
    • Pixel 7 and 7 Pro

General advisories​

Get support​

Top resolved issues​

• Fixed an issue with the System UI that sometimes caused the Home screen to become unresponsive.
    • Fixed an issue where, after switching back to Normal video capture mode from Slow Motion mode in the Google Camera app, the app continued capturing slow-motion video if the capture speed was changed between 1/8x and 1/4x while in Slow Motion mode.

Top open issues​

Other known issues​

Android Platform​

• An issue with the System UI can sometimes cause it to crash from a null pointer exception.

Previous beta releases​

Android 13 QPR1 Beta 1​

Other known issues​

Android Platform​

Google Apps​

• After switching back to Normal video capture mode from Slow Motion mode in the Google Camera app, the app continues capturing slow-motion video if the capture speed was changed between 1/8x and 1/4x while in Slow Motion mode.
    Hello all. I have some question please.

Is it true that in last beta it is possible to unlink Ring from Notification volume?
    Yes but you have to enable the flag:

adb shell device_config put systemui volume_separate_notification true

QPR Betas / Android Betas

QPR stands for "Quarterly Platform Release". Android 13 QPR1 went final in December 2022. See main thread here for final/non-beta releases.

You can officially opt into the Android Beta Program there, or use the factory image or OTA below.

January 20, 2023:
    Beta 2.1:
    Pixel 7 Procheetah-t2b2.221216.008-factory-36873c04.zip36873c042e0eacb4fa634afe053444c4885c10c38565bcb01518750dc8030610

Release notes​

bookmark
    Beta 2.1Beta 2Beta 1
    Release dateJanuary 20, 2023
    BuildT2B2.221216.008
    Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2.1 (January 2023)
    This minor update to Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2 includes the following fixes:
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented devices from automatically connecting to a 5G network even when it was available. (Issue #265093352)
    • Fixed an issue where devices did not drop or reset an existing, encrypted Bluetooth connection after receiving a command to disable link-layer encryption for that connection.

About Android 13 QPR2​

How to get QPR2 Beta 2.1​

You can install Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2.1 on any of the following Google Pixel devices:
    • Pixel 4a and 4a (5G)
    • Pixel 5 and 5a
    • Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
    • Pixel 6a
    • Pixel 7 and 7 Pro

General advisories​

Get support​

Top resolved issues​

Top open issues​

Other known issues​

Android Platform​

Previous beta releases​

Android 13 QPR1 Beta 1​

Other known issues​

Android Platform​

Google Apps​

I don't plan on testing Betas of any sort, but feel free to use this thread for everything about the QPR Betas or major Android version betas for the Pixel 7 Pro. I'll update the information in the OP when necessary. See Post #2 in my main thread for general information (Unlocking Bootloader / Rooting / Updating | SafetyNet working again | ADB/Fastboot & Windows USB Drivers) but ask questions or make observations about all betas in this thread, please.

Once a QPR or major Android version goes final, I'll take those discussions to my main thread.
    The Beta also introduces support for some new carriers, some of which are the first ones for some countries (Portugal, Lithuania, Finland, Estonia), this means 5G working out of the box aswell as proper LTE Aggregation combinations (VoLTE depends on another configuration so that could take some time):

pt_vf​
    pt_meo​
    pt_nos​
    ca_tbaytel​
    uk_tesco​
    lt_telia​
    fi_telia​
    ee_telia​
    uk_sky​
    Beta 2.1:
    Are these generally safe? I know that there is no EDL recovery type of thing for Tensor Pixels so is it common that they get permanently bricked by these updates or going back to the non-beta?
    They're safe. I ran them throughout Android 12. There is a window where you can go back to stable without having to wipe. That occurs when they release the stable build of each QPR, in this case the stable build of QPR1, which should be in December. Once that stable build is released you can unenroll in the beta program without having to wipe, as long as you do it before they release QPR2 Beta 1.

On my pristine (bootloader hasn't been touched) 7 Pro, I pass basic integrity and CTS and on the Play Integrity API Checker, I pass MEETS_DEVICE_INTEGRITY as well as MEETS_BASIC_INTEGRITY but fail MEETS_STRONG_INTEGRITY.

My Google Pay still works and that's all I cared about.

I also checked and the Chase app is allowing me to use my credit card rewards so it's not detecting any issues it cares about either.
    Yep I can corroborate, we're still in the clear for bypassing. :)

v2s35bO.png