General January update has dropped.

Search This thread

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
happy to know things are positive for other users. however, no "january build" connectivity love for me...this, after a factory reset and then install using the full OTA image. cellular signal is a little better, but cellular data connections are not working. all i see is the "!". spent 1 hour with ATT, but no luck. put the sim in my S21U and calls and data works fine. *sigh*. i give up (P6P back to the drawer).
Agree with this. Signal for me is no better and still getting overheating on 5g, over 40degC doing basic tasks. Also still got bugs like the phone freezing and general stutter. Already done a reset so that's not the problem. Getting to the point of giving up on this phone.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
happy to know things are positive for other users. however, no "january build" connectivity love for me...this, after a factory reset and then install using the full OTA image. cellular signal is a little better, but cellular data connections are not working. all i see is the "!". spent 1 hour with ATT, but no luck. put the sim in my S21U and calls and data works fine. *sigh*. i give up (P6P back to the drawer).
By chance, what did AT&T have you do? Have you tried manually updating your APN settings? Sometimes these can be incorrect for your phone, so a manual update can sometimes fix spotty connections.

Give this a try - https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1062162/

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT
By chance, what did AT&T have you do? Have you tried manually updating your APN settings? Sometimes these can be incorrect for your phone, so a manual update can sometimes fix spotty connections.

Give this a try - https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1062162/
ATT rep reset my cell account, walked me through adding the APN as detailed in the link you posted, activated and use a new sim, and factory reset again. I placed the new sim in my S21U and cellular and data worked without issue. Never had these issues with other Pixel phones.

• Wow

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
ATT rep reset my cell account, walked me through adding the APN as detailed in the link you posted, activated and use a new sim, and factory reset again. I placed the new sim in my S21U and cellular and data worked without issue. Never had these issues with other Pixel phones.
I find AT&T reps a 50/50 chance you'll get actual help. I remember calling and chatting with them online to get an eSim, and to this day I never received one lol.

Anyway, you can simply put in a new SIM that's activated by an agent and the phone should update itself with new carrier settings. All you'd have to do is just reboot the phone at that point for it to update, not a factory reset. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope it gets solved.

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
If I remember correctly, after a factory reset you can't use the OTA images (and if you do, it'll cause problems). You need the full factory image build (they're usually around 2.3GB). If you're doing it all manually, you would have to flash the bootloader image, then the radio image, then the update zip (whilst disabling verity and verification).

If you want root, you would then have to copy the new boot image out of the update zip and patch it with Magisk on your phone. Then, you would copy it back to your PC, go back into fastboot, and then flash the patched boot image.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If I remember correctly, after a factory reset you can't use the OTA images (and if you do, it'll cause problems). You need the full factory image build (they're usually around 2.3GB). If you're doing it all manually, you would have to flash the bootloader image, then the radio image, then the update zip (whilst disabling verity and verification).

If you want root, you would then have to copy the new boot image out of the update zip and patch it with Magisk on your phone. Then, you would copy it back to your PC, go back into fastboot, and then flash the patches boot image.
I think the user is fully stock, so taking an OTA image is not going to cause any harm. If rooted, the OTA will fail which would then require it to be sideloaded via ADB. Disabling verity and verification isn't required on the latest Magisk Canary (if rooting) unless you're flashing certain custom kernerls or other files that would require it.

If you want root, you would then have to copy the new boot image out of the update zip and patch it with Magisk on your phone. Then, you would copy it back to your PC, go back into fastboot, and then flash the patched boot image

i used the raven 12.0.0 SQ1D.220105.007, Jan 2022 (1.9GB) image from Google's Full OTA Images page.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Battery seems to drain a lot faster since installing the update...
what evidence do you have that has drawn you to this conclusion? I'm currently charging my phone to see what battery is like. I wish we had the old 'battery usage' stats graph that would reset after each charge, and not just fluctuate through multiple charge cycles the way it does now. It was easier to see what was causing battery drain.

Reactions: foobar66 and Alekos

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Battery seems to drain a lot faster since installing the update...
Not for me. On stock kernel getting 5.67%/hr active drain and .74%/hr idle drain. Active drain will likely go up as I haven't done all the things I usually do since updating. Idle drain is the same as when I was on a custom kernel in December.

lawtq

Oct 12, 2011
Huawei Mate X2
what evidence do you have that has drawn you to this conclusion? I'm currently charging my phone to see what battery is like. I wish we had the old 'battery usage' stats graph that would reset after each charge, and not just fluctuate through multiple charge cycles the way it does now. It was easier to see what was causing battery drain.
Totally agree! This new way is terrible. I don't bother look at stock battery now. Gsam thankfully still resets battery usage after unplugging charger

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
i used the raven 12.0.0 SQ1D.220105.007, Jan 2022 (1.9GB) image from Google's Full OTA Images page.
I think most of us want you to get it working (either by trying to fix it or warranty).
Can you go to the Flash Tool website, and hit the "pencil" and pick "Wipe device" and "flash all partitions" - this will obviously wipe your phone - and this will also reinstall all the firmware and partitions.

I think if this doesn't work, you should try for an advanced RMA. Mention to support you used this tool, and that should be enough to warrant an advanced RMA.

Its this page specifically:

dinosore1

Apr 11, 2010
No evidence whatsoever, my statement was based off an observation, previously the phone would use less than 50% in a day from unplugging, yesterday it used 81% - with what I would say is my normal usage, will see what today brings.

Reactions: Paz9
I think most of us want you to get it working (either by trying to fix it or warranty).
Can you go to the Flash Tool website, and hit the "pencil" and pick "Wipe device" and "flash all partitions" - this will obviously wipe your phone - and this will also reinstall all the firmware and partitions.

I think if this doesn't work, you should try for an advanced RMA. Mention to support you used this tool, and that should be enough to warrant an advanced RMA.

Its this page specifically:
Appreciate your suggestion; however, I'm done with my P6P, and I've decided to stick with my S21U.

• Sad

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
No evidence whatsoever, my statement was based off an observation, previously the phone would use less than 50% in a day from unplugging, yesterday it used 81% - with what I would say is my normal usage, will see what today brings.
Was that 81% including the amount of battery used to actually update? Hopefully, the battery performs better for you in the very near future. I only charge between 25% and 75%, and that 50% usually lasts me a day as well, so I'll be monitoring to see if it seems about the same or not.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Please everybody check if you get the missed call notification... Doesn't work for me:

Please don't post in multiple threads asking about the same problem, especially since you created a dedicated question thread for the issue already. I tested and I'll answer you in the other thread.

Lycidias

Please don't post in multiple threads asking about the same problem, especially since you created a dedicated question thread for the issue already. I tested and I'll answer you in the other thread.
Sorry but I originally thought it was a kernel problem. But it wasn't... So I created a thread and just wanted to share my experience in this update thread, regarding this issue....

Sorry again

Last edited:

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
For T-Mobile: Update adds a bunch of n71-n41 NSA 5G carrier aggregation combos. Seem to rely on B46 though. n41C also present to allow an aggregated 200 MHz of the band. T-Mobile will only ever need 100+90.

b2ee69b4-5d48-431c-adde-3e865fc08336.png

Last edited:

dinosore1

Apr 11, 2010
Was that 81% including the amount of battery used to actually update? Hopefully, the battery performs better for you in the very near future. I only charge between 25% and 75%, and that 50% usually lasts me a day as well, so I'll be monitoring to see if it seems about the same or not.
I started the update with it plugged in and left it updating and charging overnight. I unplugged it in the morning, restarted the device as per update instructions, within 30 seconds of unplugging. I used it the same way as normal throughout the day and ended with a displayed 19% on screen.

Battery level currently on 72%, so it might have been a one off by the looks.

Top Liked Posts